• anything further on B tower preservation?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoAL

Anything new on the possibility of the preservation of B tower that was mentioned some months ago?

Maybe the local historical societies in Bethpage & Farmingdale could be of some help.

by Lupo 10

It only takes one person to put the idea in their heads. I wish we had room on our plates at Twin Forks to take on a project like that right now. But we're booked with other projects with deadlines right now.

Maybe Lindenhurst would be interested. Or Wantagh. I can put you in touch with either group.

by emfinite

I posted the idea a couple of months ago, but of course, I alone wouldn't be able to do much. We would definitely need quite a following for LIRR to actually consider the idea. The bad thing is that the tower is in a vulnerable location for vandalism (graffiti, broken windows, door locks being cut, etc) because of it's secluded location next to the Bethpage State Park bicycle path. Youths drink and smoke there constantly at night and those are the main vandals.

by Long Island 7285

Put a 700 volt eletric fence around the tower, thell all stop vandalizing it and there weed will smoke its self. hehe

also the tower will need rock resistant windows and a door that cannot sercom to vandles

im down for the idea. /
maby we can get signatures from all the railfan community starting on this bord and then getting out there.
it is not farfetch.

by krispy

alot of maintainers and track workers have tried to secure and maintain the tower, but the kids around there are just absolutely relentless and determined to destroy it. Unfortunately it was like that even when the tower was manned, and it's only a matter of time before they maul it like the kids did to Fremont. it's a shame too, how many towers have you seen that ornate? didn't robert moses have a hand in that when they rebuilt the interlocking in the '30s?

by Dave Keller

Yes, I believe he was involved in it. The previous tower wasn't quite 11 years old when it was razed due to the new parkway and the whole set-up relocated a short distance away.

The stonework was to resemble the overpasses on the Bethpage State Pky.

Certainly an ornate structure and one definitely worth restoring.

In less vandalizing times:

Dave Keller

by BEDT16RMLI

I wish just like lupo said Twin Forks could do something, but we have our hands full and have a busy year ahead of us.
Mike Arnold
Secretary
Twin Forks Chapter of NRHS
[email protected]