• Any Street Running Left in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Ridgefielder

bshrdr wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:
The EGE wrote:Groton Wharf branch has no street running, just an angle crossing of Eastern Point Road. I'm not even sure how much is used any more - possibly no further than the National Guard repair unit at the airport.
It's still used as needed to take submarine parts to Electric Boat. There are pics in the Providence & Worcester thread, I believe.
Or in the March 2012 issue of TRAINS magazine. ;-)

Shipments down the Old Groton Main to EB are once or twice a year at most - very infrequent. And the tracks only serve EB now - they terminate inside the facility. The P&W used to also service the Pfizer Manufacturing plant on the west side of Eastern Point Road, but that connection was severed back in 2002 or 2003 when the plant stopped getting rail shipments. I don't think the Air Guard repair center gets rail shipments either.
I knew I saw them somewhere! :-D

That branch is actually pretty cool. I was up in the area last weekend and actually played that golf course. Might be imagining things but it looked to me like there were still traces of superelevation from the days when it was the main line. Per the date rolled into the web, the rail was rolled in Scranton in 1893...
  by ebtmikado

The EGE wrote:Groton Wharf branch has no street running, just an angle crossing of Eastern Point Road. I'm not even sure how much is used any more - possibly no further than the National Guard repair unit at the airport.
Here's a photo of P&W crossing Eastern Point Road with a submarine part:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N ... 958132455/

And one of the train inside the Electric Boat yard:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N ... 958132455/

Enjoy,
Lee
  by ebtmikado

When would one most likely be able to see the street running at Holyoke?

Lee