• Another crossing fatality ...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Warren Thompson

Yesterday in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, a 47-year old man on a bike went around the lowered gates on North 7th Street and was killed by an eastbound NS train.

You have to wonder why people fail to accept that in grade-crossing encounters, the train always wins, often with fatal finality.

by glennk419

I certainly don't wish for this sort of thing to happen to anyone but there's more than a few people who were born in the shallow end of the gene pool. Anyone who risks their own safety trying to beat a train, not to mention the effect it has on the crews and witnesses, is only asking to pay the ultimate price.

I have witnessed kids on ATV's deliberately jumping in front of trains on the Beesleys Secondary in South Jersey on several occasions. While the speeds on that line are limited to 30 MPH, it's only a matter of time before the cat gets the mouse there as well and of course it will be the railroad's fault.

by lukerice

People just don't understand physics. I don't wish any harm on anyone, but the fact that he went around a closed gate really suggests that he be nominated for a Darwin award.