• An alternative to hinged turnouts?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by snowplough

In the last thread I started, David T. Telesha mentioned the fact that scale model turnouts use hinges to provide the swivel for the point rails, unlike real turnouts in which the rails are actually bent. My question for this thread is, Why is that so? That is, is it really impossible or impractical to build a turnout the way the prototypes do it? I've been working with MicroEngineering rail lately (code 83), and there is definitely enough side-to-side give in it to make it possible. The only problem that I can see is finding a way to affix the stationery end of the rail in a way that won't work loose in the course of operation, although I should think that a good ACC glue might do the trick.

Any thoughts on why this is or isn't possible? (Or do some handlayers already do this?)

snowplough
  by Paul Cutler III

Model layout builders constantly are using hinges because they are also using unprototypically small switches. For example, the standard switch size in HO scale is probably the #6, with the #4 being the second most popular (in real life terms, #8 switches are considered extremely tight).

This means that the distance between the frog and the points are inevitably smaller, leaving less material to bend. Put it this way: try to bend a normal matchstick, and it won't bend easy. Now try to bend a matchstick that is a foot long, and it will be much easier. Same thing for rail. Shorter sections of rail are quite difficult to bend, especially by switch machines.

It is perfectly possible to build switches as the prototype does, but then you have to use prototypically large switches, like #10's or #16's.

Also, some prototype switches are hinged, especially street trackage. These usually only have one point rail.

BTW, why would you use ACC? Just spike it.

by snowplough

That is a good point. I knew the frog angle was too large on scale turnouts, but I failed to connect that to my question.

snowplough

by dti406

One of the club members when I belonged to a club in Anchorage, AK
built up the frogs and we would lay the No. 4 and No. 6 turnouts using the bend the rail method. They all worked very well with good electrical conductivity and few derailments. The major job is to solder the frog together and then file the points and make the throwbar to the proper dimensions.

Rick
  by pjb

:-)
Simply model an earlier era (which is more fun since trains can be of appropriate lenght and frequency for model railroading) and use
stub switches.
PJB