• An ALCO switcher goes for a swim

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

How's that for a title? Anyway, I got one of my favorite books back that I loaned out, “Diesels of the Sunrise Trail” and there is a section in the book for where the engines ended up going after their time on the LIRR. One entry always stuck out to me, it was for an AS-6 (ALCO S-1) numbered 421 which on August 1, 1969 fell off one of the float bridges at LIC into the East River. What I always wanted to know is how in the world did this happen? Did she idle away to the water with her brakes released? Did any other equipment go overboard with her? And how was she lifted out of the river? Was it with one of the big barge cranes that were used around the harbor? I know there are a lot of question here, but you all know me, I love to learn any and all of the history of the LIRR. Thanks.

Mike

by LIRRNOVA55

i have seen a bery simialr pic of a NP alco that flew off the float to. my guess would be that the brakes werent set

by emfinite

Hope whoever you loaned that book to returned it in good condition :P

by lirrmike

Well, if he didn't return it in good condition, he wouldn't be in good condition! :wink: I would've set him up with a certain 'friend' for a visit!

Mike
  by freightguy

The crew probably wanted an early quit on float one. That was the job based in LIC :-D

by Paul

Hmmmmm... Alco 539, Macintosh & Seymore marine engine. Mustuv wanted to return to her seafairin' roots.

by lirrmike

Thanks Dave! I even liked the side bar on switching the old LILCO plant, I'm working there now, though no coal cars there anymore.

Mike

by Clemuel

Here's the story as told by the yardmaster (now retired) who was on duty that day.

The crew was loading stone cars from one particularly vintage float when the float began to crush in the middle. As the cars of stone slid through the rotted deck into what was the hull of the vessel pulling the engine with them, the yardmaster ran down the track toward LI 421 yelling

"Pull the pin!! Save the engine!! Pull the pin!!

The engineer, fearing his own demise under crushed stone and S-1 engine bailed out the window to join the yardmaster in watching the thing dragged down the iron by the weight of the submarine gondolas into the drink.

So disturbed by the incident was the yardmaster that he marched up to the Superintendent's office in Jamaica and resigned.

Unfortunately too much time passed when he regained his senses and returned that he had a break in his yardmaster service. He finished his time as an old yardmaster with a new seniority date.

I'm sure BMC and a few of the others remember this big, sweet-hearted soul who always found one thing to many about which to worry.

Clemuel

by DogBert

Wow. a rotted out barge is the last thing I'd have thought would happen... did the engine ever run again?

by lirrmike

Wow, what a story! Must of been some sight, new pair of pants for all. :-) From what the book says the engine was pulled out of the river and brought back to Morris Park and scrapped.
I'm hoping someone reading this might have some photos of the recovery and/or what the engine looked like after it's river bath. Thanks.

Mike

by badneighbor

it wasnt scrapped!! it was painted green and runs up and down the bushwick and bay ridge lines each day!!!
  by dukeoq

I have a slide of that engine half submerged in front of 5 bridge.
I will someday make it available. (Still unpacking from the recent move)
Five bridge never docked another float after this incident. :(

by Clemuel

JJ,

I'm sure you heard that story several times, though I think it may have been slightly before your time(?). Did you hear the same story? That came from the horse's mouth, so to speak, so I know the yardmaster part was accurate. Am I correct in the other details?

You'd know better than I.

Clem
  by dukeoq

I'm not so sure of the date on that incident.
I was working first trick floats during 1969 and that was the year that Bay Ridge closed, due to the formation of PennCentral.
I was forced off the day job at the October pick and took the Kearny job.
That incident happened while I was working the afternoon job in the fall and I was called, with my crew to go to 6th street to see what we could do.
What I have been told, by a fellow retiree who was on the scene--and on the float flat, that it was the apron of five bridge that collapsed, putting the bridge out of service.
I probably came early and brought my camera in the next day and got the picture.
I don't recall who the YM was. (were his initials AG?)