• Amtrak Wi-Fi (WiFi) Availability

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ApproachMedium

Michigan trains only have Wifi because the Cafe cars are usually Amfleet 1. All of these cars are fitted with the Wifi systems but its not advertised that these trains have wifi. If your train is all Horizons, there will be no wifi. If your train has at least the Amfleet cafe, that car and any adjoining (must be directly coupled to) amfleet cars will also carry wifi.

Hiawatha service is generally an all Horizon car train. Unless Wisconsin wants to pay for the service to be installed and operated I wouldn't expect that train to have it.
  by fl9m2004

When I took Vermonter train 56-55 it was a great signal only cutting out when engines changed at New Haven both ways
Really good having wifi on Amtrak
  by jstolberg

Capitol Corridor has been upgraded to 4G. Since they share equipment with the San Joaquin, the central valley also has 4G.
http://www.capitolcorridor.org/news/wha ... fi-system/
OAKLAND, CALIF., April 15, 2013 — Capitol Corridor and Amtrak, its operating partner, recently completed upgrading its free, on-train Wi-Fi system–a cellular based Wi-Fi service called AmtrakConnect–by swapping out some of the 3G technology for faster 4G cards. With the recent 4G installation, Capitol Corridor Wi-Fi speed is three times faster than before.
  by fl9m2004

Really good news
I guess since Amtrak has wifi
Trains will be on increase again
  by ApproachMedium

Didnt the acela already get upgraded to 4g? Whats funny is they wont allow you to visit speedtest.net assuming that hogs bandwidth too so I have not been able to test the speeds other than that they work way better/faster now than they did a while ago.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:Didnt the acela already get upgraded to 4g? Whats funny is they wont allow you to visit speedtest.net assuming that hogs bandwidth too so I have not been able to test the speeds other than that they work way better/faster now than they did a while ago.
The Acela set conversion has been completed and they are working on the cafe cars.
  by ApproachMedium

Thanks! Ill keep testing it out and see how it works as I go along. Thats alot of cafe cars to do.
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:Thanks! Ill keep testing it out and see how it works as I go along. Thats alot of cafe cars to do.

Hey AP, I have a question for you. If the Cafe cars are usually the "brain" cars for the WiFi, what do they use as the "brain" car on Keystones?
  by Tadman

Shooting from the hip here, but I would guess cabs due to the fact each train has one and they're subject to higher shopping rates.
  by fl9m2004

Is the wifi good for cab cars
Taking Amtrak to Lancaster tomorrow
  by ThirdRail7

fl9m2004 wrote:Is the wifi good for cab cars
Taking Amtrak to Lancaster tomorrow

You'll find out and let us know...if you're in it.
  by fl9m2004

Okay sure will
Hopefully going south
First time on an Amtrak cab car
Seen them numerous times in New Haven, CT
  by ApproachMedium

Cab cars are the AP control or Brain car for the Harrisburgs and the shuttles. My friends in michigan that often get the AM1 cafe cars have said the wifi works for them out there just of course only in the cafe or any adjunct AM1 coach cars. The service is not advertised out there either, as long as you have a access point car that car is on and will connect.
  by fl9m2004

Thanks for information
And I'll have a great time on the Keystone train
Taking regional 171 from Stamford to Penn Station
Then transfering there
  by Jeff Smith

From a while ago; would espresso make the lack of Wi-Fi better? The Italians think both will make your trip better...

Business Insider

I love the line "whiny east coast media elites."
Two Ideas From Italian Trains That Would Make Riding Amtrak Infinitely Better

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/two-idea ... z2R8WsrY4J

The first one: Blazing fast, free Wifi.

Actually, it's not free. It costs literally one euro cent. Apparently that's just so they can get your personal data.

If you follow any East Coast media elites on Twitter, you've certainly seen them whine about the crappy WiFi on Amtrak trains.

Anyway, this WiFi just worked, except when the train was going through a tunnel through a mountain, but that's an understandable flaw.

The other superior thing about Italian trains: Espresso carts.

3 or 4 times on the 3 hour trip, an espresso cart came through the aisle, making fresh-poured espresso in little plastic, clinical cups.