• Amtrak vs. LIRR

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by F40

Does Amtrak put some sort of limitation on LIRR's bi-levels operating to/from Penn Station? I heard from a MNR worker that LIRR needs two locomotives on a train if it's going to be operated into Penn.

by LI Loco

Two locomotives (one on either end) are required for LIRR bilevel trains running to NYP to keep trains moving as they proceed over gaps in the third rail at switches. I don't know if this was stipulated by Amtrak or LIRR recognized the need. Currently threre are 3 - 4 weekday bilevel RTs into NYP. The biggest constraint is lack of departure slots for LIRR. In it's "wisdom," LIRR ordered 23 bimodal (diesel-electric/electric) versions of its new locomotives; far more than are needed to cover the NYP runs.

by DutchRailnut

Far more than they currently need, after ESA opens there may be more dual modes going to Penn station after some electric service is diverted to new GCT station of LIRR.

by LI Loco

We should live so long. :wink:

by JoeG

I heard that the LIRR bimodal engines were only capable of 1000HP in electric mode. If that's true, they might need 2 units to handle the tunnel grades.

by DutchRailnut

No Joe the LIRR DM 30's are full 3200 hp in electric.
only deduction is HEP, so on a train with 2 DE/DM's you have 3200 8 cars and another 2200 hp(after hep) in both diesel or electric.