• Amtrak Viewliner Prototypes

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by astrosa

I recently completed a model of Viewliner prototype sleeper #2300. This car was built along with sister car #2301 and dining car #8400 to test out the new design. All three cars were delivered in Phase III paint and ran this way for several years, often taking the place of Heritage cars on various East Coast long-distance routes. The 2300 and 8400 are now in storage, but last I knew the 2301 was still running along with the production Viewliners in Phase IV paint.

My model started off as a Walthers car with several details added or modified, since the prototypes differed slightly from the production cars. It still rides on the stock GSI trucks, but I'll eventually scratchbuild the Japanese-made trucks that the 2300 rode on in the earlier part of its lifetime (it later received trucks made by Dofasco). I decaled it using Microscale stripes and added lettering custom-made from my own artwork.

Photos and a detailed description of my model are here, and photos of similar models built by a friend are posted here.

I know that some other modelers have been interested in adding these cars to their rosters, but the lack of appropriate decals has been a problem. A friend of mine was involved in talks with Microscale to produce these as a set, especially since I already had the artwork, but they have now decided that they have no time to work on new Amtrak decals (nor to revise older sets, in spite of the fact that many of them feature incorrect lettering).

I am therefore now soliciting requests for my custom-made sets, which include everything except the stripes. I can only produce limited quantities since I am using an Alps printer, but am willing to run off a batch if I can consolidate them all onto one or two sheets. Cost will likely only be a few dollars per car, so if you are interested you may contact me via email or private message. Please be sure to specify exactly how many cars you would like lettering for, and which car numbers you desire. I have already been asked to produce fictional car numbers for one free-lance modeler who wants to imagine that Amtrak had ordered more prototypes, so that option is available as well, but again you must tell me exactly which numbers you want.

Hope everyone enjoys the photos, and do not hesitate to contact me if you are interested in the decals!

Alex Stroshane

by Otto Vondrak

Nice pictures and you got the old Viewliner logo spot on. I remember that old logo, it was based off the Superliner logo artwork of the time. Nice job!

-otto-