• Amtrak Vermonter / Montrealer

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jehochman

Why not just extend one or more shuttles north to Greenfield, Brattleboro or WRJ? Stick a cafe on there if there's one lying around. Once NHHS comes online, all of the shuttles could be repurposed this way. Crossing the platform in New Haven for the connection is no big deal, and this plan doesn't require any slots on the shoreline.
  by Arlington

Jehochman wrote:Why not just extend one or more shuttles north to Greenfield, Brattleboro or WRJ? Stick a cafe on there if there's one lying around. Once NHHS comes online, all of the shuttles could be repurposed this way. Crossing the platform in New Haven for the connection is no big deal, and this plan doesn't require any slots on the shoreline.
Operationally, that's what CT-MA "commuter" service will look like, but the operator is unlikely to be "Amtrak NHHS Shuttle" due to costs.

Amtrak is a great package if you need any 3 of these 4 things:
1) NEC Access
2) Equipment
3) Crews
4) Maintenance

And so Virginia (needing all 4), Maine (needing all but #1), Vermont (needing all 4), and North Carolina (needing all but #2) are locked-in as happy customers, who (mostly because of NEC revenue) can afford to overlook Amtrak's higher costs (in a way that Indiana can't/isn't/won't).

It's Amtrak's ROW in CT, yes, but really, if Vermont wants service "from" Connecticut (or any point south) that turns at WRJ, they're going to be mostly dealing with MA and CT, not Amtrak.

Connecticut, being in control of its stretch of NEC, and a savvy participant in 2 commuter schemes (Metro North and Shore Line), has an alternative to Amtrak for all 4, and Massachusetts has 3 out of the 4 (and experience outsourcing and in-sourcing them), and is now the owner of everything from Springfield to Greenfield. The only card Amtrak holds is its ownership of NHV-SPG...not nothing, but probably not enough to win the whole business, especially given CT's leverage on the NEC itself.

Any new NHHS-Greenfield service is likely to be shopped around vigorously by CT and MA looking for the best deals on filling in the gaps in what they've already put together. So far, Mass is bringing to the table MBBs coaches that are worn out inside (retired from MBTA service but being "held" in storage) and the MBBs are mechanical near-matches for equipment CT already maintains. So its pretty clear that CT and MA are going to have the Equipment and Maintenance and 2/3 of the ROW (NEC and MA but not NHHS) they need from Day 1 and then will be shopping around operations and completely in control of whether there's NEC access. So Vermont is going to have to build its own WRJ terminus and do most of its bargaining with CT and MA, not Amtrak.
  by Ridgefielder

Arlington wrote:Turning trains at the ends of lines isn't a problem if everything goes right--but ends up being a big deal in all the cases where things go wrong, like engine failure, closed tracks, the occasional trespasser strike, and crews "timing out", and freight trains (or other non-fouled passenger trains) needing to get past. And so if you're instituting service, you've got to physically provide for those "bad days" with a pocket track and a crew base.
One thing, though (and I know I'm sort of arguing the other side of my earlier point, but...)-- there's a lot more room already at WRJ than there is at Kemper Street Station in Lynchburg. Both NECR and WACR have multiple tracks through the station itself, and you can wye a train on what's left of the Northern without fouling the NECR main. Take a look: https://goo.gl/maps/r1r8y
  by Arlington

Ridgefielder wrote:
Arlington wrote:Turning trains at the ends of lines isn't a problem if everything goes right--but ends up being a big deal in all the cases where things go wrong, like engine failure, closed tracks, the occasional trespasser strike, and crews "timing out", and freight trains (or other non-fouled passenger trains) needing to get past. And so if you're instituting service, you've got to physically provide for those "bad days" with a pocket track and a crew base.
One thing, though (and I know I'm sort of arguing the other side of my earlier point, but...)-- there's a lot more room already at WRJ than there is at Kemper Street Station in Lynchburg. Both NECR and WACR have multiple tracks through the station itself, and you can wye a train on what's left of the Northern without fouling the NECR main. Take a look: https://goo.gl/maps/r1r8y
And I accept that other side, too. WRJ has lots going for it and a proven record for switching etc. And find compelling that Amtrak today may chose to "turn trains back" at WRJ in the event of foul weather. But since I can't find it in any plans, it seems like the planful thing for Amtrak and Vermont to do together is to go all the way to "Burlington"
  by Suburban Station

Jehochman wrote:Why not just extend one or more shuttles north to Greenfield, Brattleboro or WRJ? Stick a cafe on there if there's one lying around. Once NHHS comes online, all of the shuttles could be repurposed this way. Crossing the platform in New Haven for the connection is no big deal, and this plan doesn't require any slots on the shoreline.
Cart service?
  by theozno

I really hope We have Friday Evening Sunday Night Service. Great for skiers. Amtrak in cooperation Vermont DOT and the Ski resorts Okemo Stratton Etc could offer a family hotel package or day trip like the coach busses do now. That would be 50 people in ridership right there. My issue is unless you have a train direct to Okemo it will never be popular due to the transfer to a bus or van etc to get to Okemo Stratton Killington etc. I am very interested to know what the new schedule will be. If there is a major snow storm and the ski resorts offer shuttle pick up at Bratt, BLF or clairmont advertise it I think this could have major success. I have been on the Vermonter in a snowstorm doing the 80 MPH its fun!
  by BenH

I received the following notice in my inbox this morning:
We are pleased to announce an upcoming public meeting on the Northern New England Intercity Rail Initiative, a study to improve rail service on two existing rail corridors, linked in Springfield, MA – the Boston-Montreal corridor and the Inland Route (the rail line connecting Boston-Springfield-New Haven).

The study has identified three options for more frequent and higher speed intercity passenger rail. The proposed alternatives build upon existing plans and projects to upgrade rail in these projects, focusing on incremental improvements to rail facilities.

We encourage you to attend to learn more about the alternatives under study. Also, we are asking your help in distributing this flyer to people and organizations that have an interest in rail.

Thank you and we hope to see you on Nov 19th. If you have questions, please call or email me.

For more information visit: http://www.mass.gov/massdot/northernnewenglandrail

Flyer_NNEIRI_MA.pdf
http://pl.pbcommentsense.com/pbcs/files ... IRI_MA.pdf
Does anyone know what three options the Northern New England Intercity Rail Initiative study group has identified?

Note that there will also be a public meeting in White River Junction on November 17th.
  by zerovanity59

BenH wrote:I received the following notice in my inbox this morning:
We are pleased to announce an upcoming public meeting on the Northern New England Intercity Rail Initiative, a study to improve rail service on two existing rail corridors, linked in Springfield, MA – the Boston-Montreal corridor and the Inland Route (the rail line connecting Boston-Springfield-New Haven).

The study has identified three options for more frequent and higher speed intercity passenger rail. The proposed alternatives build upon existing plans and projects to upgrade rail in these projects, focusing on incremental improvements to rail facilities.

We encourage you to attend to learn more about the alternatives under study. Also, we are asking your help in distributing this flyer to people and organizations that have an interest in rail.

Thank you and we hope to see you on Nov 19th. If you have questions, please call or email me.

Flyer_NNEIRI_MA.pdf
Does anyone know what three options the Northern New England Intercity Rail Initiative study group has identified?

Note that there will also be a public meeting in White River Junction on November 17th.
I think they are the options discussed in page 20-22 of this document. http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... _Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Option 1: Turn the Vermonter into a Montrealer, add 2 local trains Boston to Montreal, extend 4 Shuttles to Boston, and perform little if any track improvements.

Option 2: In addition to option 1: Add an additional express train from New Haven to Montreal, add an express train from Boston to Monteal, extend 4 express Shuttles to Boston, and upgrade most of the track to 79 MPH.

Option 3: In addition to option 2: Add 5 Boston Springfield local trains, and upgrade a few small sections of track to 90 MPH.
  by BenH

zerovanity59 wrote:
BenH wrote: Does anyone know what three options the Northern New England Intercity Rail Initiative study group has identified?
I think they are the options discussed in page 20-22 of this document. http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... _Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Option 1: Turn the Vermonter into a Montrealer, add 2 local trains Boston to Montreal, extend 4 Shuttles to Boston, and perform little if any track improvements.

Option 2: In addition to option 1: Add an additional express train from New Haven to Montreal, add an express train from Boston to Monteal, extend 4 express Shuttles to Boston, and upgrade most of the track to 79 MPH.

Option 3: In addition to option 2: Add 5 Boston Springfield local trains, and upgrade a few small sections of track to 90 MPH.
Thanks! These would appear to be the preliminary alternatives (options) which in all likelihood have now become the finalized alternatives.
  by Rockingham Racer

zerovanity59 wrote:
BenH wrote:I received the following notice in my inbox this morning:

I'm having some trouble with terminology here. What's the difference between a "local" and an "express" train between Boston and Montreal?

Flyer_NNEIRI_MA.pdf

by TomNelligan

theozno wrote: Amtrak's loosing ridership from the college kids if they don't get something showing up in their system soon of a bus connection etc to Northampton.
The Pioneer Valley RTA runs frequent bus service between Amherst and Northampton, and if the UMass kids can't figure that out I wonder what they're doing in college. But I do agree that the PVRTA bus connection should be listed in Amtrak's timetable along with all the other transit links it mentions.

With respect to state-sponsored service between Springfield and Greenfield, the MBTA has set aside about a dozen retired MBB-built commuter coaches for potential use on that route. They're currently stored in Davisville, RI.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

TomNelligan wrote:
theozno wrote: Amtrak's loosing ridership from the college kids if they don't get something showing up in their system soon of a bus connection etc to Northampton.
The Pioneer Valley RTA runs frequent bus service between Amherst and Northampton, and if the UMass kids can't figure that out I wonder what they're doing in college. But I do agree that the PVRTA bus connection should be listed in Amtrak's timetable along with all the other transit links it mentions.

With respect to state-sponsored service between Springfield and Greenfield, the MBTA has set aside about a dozen retired MBB-built commuter coaches for potential use on that route. They're currently stored in Davisville, RI.
Not the MBTA. MBTA is never touching its dispersal equipment again. MassDOT has to pick over the wreckage stored at Seaview and outright buy it from the MBTA, because the T intends to store them for 1 year then bid it all out to scrap. They've got rotted floors and an assortment of other old-age aches and pains that make them not cost-effective to rehab. And the T told the MassDOT mothership so...but MassDOT doesn't have a native rail division so practicalities like that just don't play into what whims the politicians pursue. It would honestly be cheaper for them to pick up some best-of-the-rest spare Comets or MARC IIA's from outside the state...or fund the T for another order of bi-levels and start taking their much better-condition Bombardier singles...than try to repair the MBB's. So caveat that what they say they'll do with those is not necessarily what the final repair bill is going to allow them to do. It's not clear from what the T employees say about this equipment on the MBTA forum that the Governor's lackeys at the top of MassDOT have thought this through all that carefully or will be able to deliver on what they're promising via in-house scraps.

Now...MassDOT has purchased 2 F40PH-2C locomotives out of the MBTA dead line and sent them to Pan Am to overhaul. So they are doing that much. The 2C's are from the newer (circa- 1987-88) batch of F40's the T ordered and are not from the really really worn out 1978 batch of plain F40PH's. The T's option order on new locos cherry-picked retirements of any long-term OOS units as first disposals, which was why those two were available while the rest of the F40PH-2C and F40PHM-2C fleets have another 7-8 years to go till retirement. Not as big a rehab job as the coaches, and if the state opted not to use them out west they are intrinsically decent enough condition to repurpose elsewhere. 2 locos is not nearly enough to hang a Pioneer Valley service on, so that can't be their last move on power. Either a couple more 2C's have to land on the dead line for heavy repair in the next 6 months or MassDOT has to be prepared to take some of the T's GP40MC dispersals (yuck!) to fill out a barebones Western MA roster. And that may be a problem for who bids to run this service; Amtrak, when it was the T's commuter rail operator, hated those FrankenGeeps so much it was one of the criticisms they gave for not bidding at all on a contract extension.

You get the picture...qualified rail ops people are not making these equipment decisions, and whether MassDOT successfully make a go of it with a smattering of ex- T logoed detritus they are quite clearly underestimating the cost/difficulty of the equipment they're attempting to work with and will be learning some lessons the hard way. Enough that it's not a realistic assumption that cars sitting unused today is going to be pulling into Northampton in 2 years like it's no big deal.
  by theozno

TomNelligan wrote:

Amtrak is yet to post Northampton as a stop on is webpage. Amherst is still showing as sold out. I will probably end up taking the Vermonter weekly to CT and from VT working my winter job unless gas keeps dropping! It is frustrating not knowing what the new schedule is going to be. a 12 noon departure is 90 min of skiing before I catch the train in Bellows Falls (a personal problem to have i know lol)
  by runningwithscalpels

Is work even actually finished on the new route? Perhaps they've accomplished enough to figure out that they can move the routing on X date but have not run any test trips to figure out how to tinker with the schedule. It will eventually get posted, relax.
  by gprimr1

runningwithscalpels wrote:Is work even actually finished on the new route? Perhaps they've accomplished enough to figure out that they can move the routing on X date but have not run any test trips to figure out how to tinker with the schedule. It will eventually get posted, relax.
A lot of college students buy tickets months in advance to get good prices. Now is the time they are starting to look at pricing for returning for Spring 2015 term. Amtrak not having a plan to offer service has to be hurting revenue.