• Amtrak, TSA, Security, Police, Criminal Activity Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Sleepers are controlled access. Anyone who "doesn't belong" is supposed to be "run out' by the attendant.

That is your protection, but common sense says regarding your electronic playthings, "cover 'em up'.

I have never known a sleeping accomodation in North America that can be outside locked by the passenger (I don't even recall any in Europe, but Thailand I do). It would be "news to me" if that can be done on AOE.

But then theft is "not exactly' rife aboard Amtrak trains - either class of service.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by NS VIA FAN

The only North American sleepers with bedroom doors the passenger can lock when leaving their room are the new “Renaissance” sleepers on VIA’s Ocean and Enterprise.

Each door is equipped with a “Key Card” lock but most attendants consider them as nuisance as passengers continuously lock themselves out. I’ve done it myself. So use to just sliding the door across or zipping the curtain on the Budd sleepers. Theft is just not a problem.

by RMadisonWI

You can't lock the door, but what you can do is close the curtan over the door, and then shut the door. That way anybody that might be "tempted" to look inside your room would be deterred, as they wouldn't know if you're in your room or not.

Robert Madison

by Ken W2KB

I make a practice of carrying the laptop with me. Some of you items may fit in the bag with the laptop. If not, consider a separate small bag for the others. At the diner, put it on the floor by your feet.

by Mr. Toy

Mr. Madison makes a good point. When the curtain is drawn, a would-be thief doesn't know if you're in there or not. Another good way to keep stuff out of sight is to place it under the seats, way towards the back. If a thief does come in, he'd have to waste precious time digging. That alone would be a partial deterrent.

Ken also makes a good suggestion. A tote bag, like those often used for books, would be a good way to keep your valuables with you if you feel the need.

But I've left cameras unattended in coach, concealed in a carry on under the seat, with no trouble. People quickly figure out who belongs where and anyone who doesn't belong stands out.

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Toy wrote:Mr. Madison makes a good point. When the curtain is drawn, a would-be thief doesn't know if you're in there or not.
Yes I do close the Curtian in my roon on the train also I keep things out of sight.

AmtrakFan

by Greg Moore

I also tend to not leave stuff unattended if I'm coming up to a stop (or at one.) I figure in a case like that it would be too easy for a thief to grab and run. But if I'm between stops, I figure I at least have time to tell the conductor so they can take steps.

In coach also generally I assume others would act like me and say something if they saw someone touching equipment that wasn't theirs.

In a sleeper, I just close the door and shade.

I would be a bit annoyed if someone brought their laptop to the diner since it's fairly tight fit there as it.

by EastCleveland

I've traveled on two trains (Southwest Chief and Lakeshore Limited) where several coach passengers were relieved of their valuables (laptop computer, camera, CD player, wallet) during the night.

That's why I never assume that my fellow travelers (or even a sleeping car attendant) will keep an eye on my stuff. My cell phone, camera, and fanny pack (wallet, train tickets, etc) stay with me at all times. When I'm asleep or away from my seat or room, my zippered traveling bag stays securely locked. I also make sure the zipper and lock face the car wall so they're even less easy for a passerby to "casually" fiddle with.

by RMadisonWI

Well, I just booked a 12-day trip that includes one night in coach. In the past, I have not had any problems with valuables being stolen from the train (though I am aware that such is a possibility). I carry my computer in my backpack, not sure what I'll do. Wouldn't feel right carrying it to the dining car for breakfast/lunch. Maybe I'll handcuff it to the overhead baggage rack. Other nights will be in a hotel, sleeper, or "miscellaneous" (i.e. in station to board a 1 AM bus). Not as worried about those.
  by JoeG

I was recently on an Amtrak train, seated next to a teenager. The conductor asked him for ID. He said, he didn't have any. Conductor gives a little speech about the post-911 world. Teenager is silent. Conductor asks teenager how old he is. Teenager says 16, and says his mother bought him the ticket. (I was unsure of the kid's age, and thought he might be between 15 and 19.) Conductor says he should get a state ID card, but lets him be. Amtrak's website says photo id is required for passengers 18 and older. Another part of the site seems to say that passengers 15 and older may travel alone, but are subject to the rules applying to adults.
Later, on another train, I am in the cafe car next to the conductor and AC who are talking about passenger ID and security. I tell them the above, and say that I suppose that in practice the conductor of the first train couldn't kick a kid off without waiting for a cop to come. The conductor says he believes that anyone over 12 traveling alone has to produce ID, by Amtrak rules. He says if you need to put someone off the train you should call ahead, the cops will be at an upcoming station, and then they will deal with the person.
I've never thought about this before, but it seems that if we have an ID rule, then unaccompanied children of any age need to have ID. This seems to be stated in the unaccompanied children rule, but not in the more-visible ID requirements section of the Amtrak website. So, a kid (or young-looking adult) could with justification say he read the website, was under 18, and thought he was exempt from the ID requirement.

by pgengler

It's generally difficult, or at the very least inconvenient and mostly unnecessary, for someone under 16 or 17 to get or have any sort of ID (other than a school ID, perhaps, but those vary widely in quality and usefulness of information--my high school ID of about five or six years ago was a thin piece of paper with my school photo and my signature).
Most teenagers get a driver's license when they become "of age" for it; those that don't can get a "non-driver identification" (in NJ, at least), but that isn't available to someone under 17 (NJ's driving age). In NY, it can be someone of any age.

Other than that, the only other sort of identification that a 15-year-old would be at all likely to have might be a passport, but it's not something that everyone has, especially if they've never taken or planned to take a trip out of the country. It seems a bit ridiculous (to me, at least) to require that a 15-year-old kid have to get a passport to ride Amtrak, though.

by natethegreat

Here in Illinois any one can get a state id card, which looks a lot like a drivers licence, but instead has the words ID CARD on it. I beleve these are free, or under $5. They are not very hard to get. You just might have to wait in line at the DMV for a few hours.
  by NellieBly

You know...in the former Soviet Union, everyone had to have a passport -- even for internal travel. Are we headed the same way?

My kids (9 and 13) have passports, but only because we've traveled abroad. What sort of meathead would expect a 12-year-old to have photo ID?

That's the problem with security people -- apparently, they're mostly meatheads. It just came out that at least a couple of hundred of the people on the "do not fly" list are under the age of 5. Baby terrorists, or mistaken identities?

I have a friend whose name is David Nelson. Someone with the same name, but of a different age and living in a different state, is on the "watch list", so David has to allow an extra hour at the airport any time he flies.

Meanwhile, we put colorful tags on tank cars of Dr. Death, warning anyone who can read (and even those who can't) which cars carry things that blow up, or burn, or are toxic. You might as well put signs on the cars saying "Terrorist: place bomb here".

It's a lucky thing we've had no more attacks since 2001. But hey, the brave TSA has confiscated three of my pocket knives.

To return to trains, a kid under 18 was actually put off a LAX - SAN train at Fullerton a couple of days ago. He's 16, of Iranian heritage (no, Iranians aren't Arabs, but never mind), and his parents will probably sue Amtrak.

by AmtrakFan

I got asked for one and I was traveling with my parents. This is so stupid asking for kids traveling alone's ID. How do you expect an 11 Year old to produce an ID if he can't drive?

by Gilbert B Norman

What's all the hullabaloo about? Carrying ID has never bothered me; I have nothing to hide.

I was required by my Mother and Father to carry ID anytime I was away from home on my own likely from age 10 onward. This of course was not any kind of official ID, but it at least had name and telephone contacts.

I think there are countries around the world that are considered "free" countries that require all persons have ID. In effect, your Social Security Number becomes a national ID registry. SSN's are now customarily issued at birth, even though that is not law at this time.

I would honestly feel "naked" if I were away from the house today without ID, even if I had no requirement, such as to drive an auto, for such. But then I realize there are younger people out there today that have a different "take" on that point.