• Amtrak's new carry-on policy to be enforced

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JoeG

Lately there have been continual automated PA announcements in NYP saying that, beginning November 1, the rule of 2 carry-ons would be enforced.
Does anyone know the purpose of this rule? I think it was first published after 9/11, and I thought it was some kind of anti-terrorist rule, though, when I thought about it, I couldn't see how it would protect against terrorists. Then, I thought it was in force already, until I started hearing these announcements.
If it's an anti-terrorist rule, it's silly. And, one of the advantages of trains is you can take more carry-ons than planes will allow. So, why is Amtrak giving up one of its competitive advantages?

by metrarider

It's probably being forced on them by the wonderful DHS.

Next on DHS's wish list is checking all train passengers against a no 'ride' list. (And no I'm not joking, I wish I was)

by Gilbert B Norman

After my most recent trip (a work-in-progress at "Get Me to the Church.." Topic), I can only conclude that nowadays people simply bring with them too much stuff.

"Wheelies" are simply an excuse to load up with even more junk.

My own rule of travel, no doubt coming from the "early 70's' when I was in a "80% travel' job situation, is simply "if you can't CARRY it (as distinct from "wheel it"), don't bring it".

This five night trip included attendance at a family wedding, a business conference, Sunday church, and two restaurant get togethers with Forum Members as well as one with my Sister; also Sleeping Car travel, but who dresses up for THAT nowadays.

Possibly the two Members in question may disagree, but I believe I was "presentable' for all events. To accomplish this purpose, all necessary belongings fit into a suitcase (no wheels) and a briefcase - both of which have fit many times in the past beneath an airline coach seat (also a Super/Viewliner).

Any hotel from the 'econo+" (HI Express, Courtyard, Hampton) and upwards brands has an in-room iron and board; also a sink. I'm adequately skilled with "laundering on the quick" using both those apparatus.

Aboard #49(25), I was astounded when I observed this lady and her "14-something' daughter (both very pleasant as I found out) "wheeling' two suitcases aboard at Albany that each were darned near the size of a foot locker. There simply is no room in a Standard (Roomette, eff Nov 1) for that plus two people, let alone anywhere else in a Viewliner. None of my business, of course, but "what the ^ell are you going to do with all that stuff?".

In short, I don't think it is a security issue, it is just where to put all the stuff while en-route, and much of which is hardly needed at destination. Always remember; absent checked baggage, DHL, Fedex, and "Brown' are out there; they will be happy to accept your shipment.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by mlrr

This sucks for me!

When I come home from school I have a suitcase and backpack for my CDs and other small items. In addition to that, I have my alto and soprano saxophones with me because I can't risk leaving those at the dorm over the break.

I've managed this before with no problem but hopefully I'll be able to still get away with it, lol. Only my suitcase is on a wheelie and it's of reasonable size. The one I had before that was much smaller but it didn't work well because the handle was short. What I do is I wheel the thing when I'm walking through the station or to the station. When I get to the platform (30th Street/Stamford mainly) I carry my suitcase. When I board the train the suitcase is still carried as I know how annoying it could be to have someone wheel their suitcase in front of you damn near tripping you every time, lol. I also am able to store most of my carry ons in the overhead rack. I keep my bag with me in the seat (obviously with my CDs and CD player in there. My horns don't take up much space and my suitcase isn't gigantic.

Sometimes I think its just a matter of a lack of common sense. But Mr. Norman, I totally agree with you about wheelies being an excuse to carry more junk. If you can't carry it, don't bring it.

I know this is a stretch but if Regionals had baggage accomodations it would help a bit. I also know that baggage accomodations is a time and equipment availablity issue. If some Amfleet Is can be converted to baggage cars it would probably work out but then you still have to deal with load times and stuff which adds precious minutes to schedules.

(The best rail trip is when school is neither my origin or destination, lol)
  by jp1822

I agree that people often carry too much stuff with them on trains - mostly overstuffed suitcases. BUT I often take the train to upstate NY, Vermont, or Virginia. Often I will ship my purchases home, but on my last trip to Vermont, I had brought some Christmas gifts that I decided not to ship. I had my suitcase, brief case, and three medium size shopping bags (that I could easily carry with one hand and still have another hand free). I had no problem on my return trip - maneuvering, putting items in the overhead bin on the train etc. But now I would be "over the limit." College students are going to have the same dilemna. If only trains had a baggage car......
  by mlrr

jp1822 wrote:I agree that people often carry too much stuff with them on trains - mostly overstuffed suitcases. BUT I often take the train to upstate NY, Vermont, or Virginia. Often I will ship my purchases home, but on my last trip to Vermont, I had brought some Christmas gifts that I decided not to ship. I had my suitcase, brief case, and three medium size shopping bags (that I could easily carry with one hand and still have another hand free). I had no problem on my return trip - maneuvering, putting items in the overhead bin on the train etc. But now I would be "over the limit." College students are going to have the same dilemna. If only trains had a baggage car......
I'm glad we see eye to eye :wink: , lol

by AmtrakFan

metrarider wrote:It's probably being forced on them by the wonderful DHS.

Next on DHS's wish list is checking all train passengers against a no 'ride' list. (And no I'm not joking, I wish I was)
This not from the DHS they've always had this scince 2002 also got a story about too much Baggage I was at NPV one afternoon and this lady and her 2 Kids had 7 BAGS for 3 People HELLO!!!!!! well I did get pay for carrying 2 Bags. :-D Also you can check it also I believe Military Personal are Exmpete from what I'm hearing.

AmtrakFan

by Chatter163

I have two different rail trips coming up in November and I have received separate phone calls from Amtrak regarding both trips, reminding me of the new baggage policy. There was also a notice in the envelopes with the tickets. So they do indeed seem to be serious this time.

As for having a large suitcase, I do not begrudge folks on vacation this perk (I had a large wheelie when I was away for the entire month of June this year), but when I do have the full-sized suitcase, I check it. THAT is my astonishment--that there are so many people who simply do not want to check their bags. They exist on airplanes also (at least they did exist, pre-9/11), but there they are prevented from getting on with oversized bags, even if at the gate. However, on the train, they have a greater chance and usually get away with it. What is the reason for this reluctance--a quick getaway at the destinstion? To me that is not worth hauling a large or heavy bag. To me this makes them look like control freaks. Whatever...

by queenlnr8

Personally, and I know that Amtrak does not have the money to do this right now, but there needs to be dedicated checked baggage space, or a car, on every train for baggage.

Now, when the new corridor equipment comes (who knows then THAT will be) it would be nice to see some of the oldest Amfleet I's turned in to Coach/Baggage cars. I know that some of the Amfleet I's out there have a space in tha car that used to be a kinda 'business class' kitchen along with their two bathrooms and a RailPhone booth. Now, it only takes up maybe three rows of seats at the most, but this, on every train could handle a reasonable amount of checked baggage.

All you would need is just one more person on that train, maybe an AC or LSA, to take care of baggage handling.

by Ken W2KB

Having watched baggage operations many times at Newark Penn as well as other locations enroute, the baggage operation generally takes more time than loading or unloading passengers. Having baggage cars on all trains would make the ride a lot longer.

by mlrr

Ken W2KB wrote:Having watched baggage operations many times at Newark Penn as well as other locations enroute, the baggage operation generally takes more time than loading or unloading passengers. Having baggage cars on all trains would make the ride a lot longer.
I know, that's what I was getting at in an earlier post. As good of an idea it is, coach/baggage cars on regionals (despite the "physical feasiblity of it) wouldn't be of much help time wise. Besides, it would probably only be beneficial to those boarding or arriving at major cities/stops on the line like Boston, Providence, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington D.C. and those are just stations that I notice Amtrak taking a considerable amount of time to stop at on NEC runs.

by RMadisonWI

I don't think Amtrak should offer checked baggage on every run. For the most part, the NEC is used by commuters/short trippers that don't need to carry tons of stuff along. But, I don't see (other than equipment availability) why they couldn't offer, say, three or four trains a day that have checked baggage service.

Maybe the Vermonter (don't know if that has baggage or not), overnight Regional (66/67), and perhaps one or two other Regional trains to Boston for those that are connecting off of long-distance trains, or those taking trips within the NEC. The other two dozen or so trains per day could still be Amfleet only.

by JoeG

Superliners have all that baggage space downstairs. Does Amtrak have enough single-level coaches so a couple could be turned into self-service baggage cars, with spaces like the Superliner downstairs? That way, on a train like the Vermonter, one of these cars could be added. Since it would be self-service, and passengers would put their stuff there while the train was running, it wouldn't increase dwell times, and it wouldn't require a baggage master.
I think of this for longer-distance trains like the Vermonter, Carolinian, etc, not for regular corridor trains. I think equipping corridor trains would require too many of these cars.

by Ken W2KB

It would work for boarding passengers, but I wonder if people would retrieve their baggage sufficiently before the station of arrival so as not to delay the train. Could run a pilot project to see how it works out.