• Amtrak reducing/eliminating discounts effective Jan 9?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JimBoylan

Another discount ending:
https://www.amtrak.com/deals-discounts/ ... count.html Conventions
Amtrak also offers a 10% discount on most Amtrak rail fares to attendees of many conventions. Convention sponsors should contact the Amtrak Group Desk a 1-800-USA-1GRP to request this special discount for their event. The Group Desk will provide full details of the terms and conditions for this discount.
On 5/25/18, I was able to arrange this discount for a 9/8/18 Convention. I called today about an early July, 2018 Convention and was told that they just got an E-mail that the program will end on 6/16/18. They may accept request for Conventions occurring before then, but not later, although existing approved requests will be honored.
  by Arborwayfan

I have been to a few conferences that had train discounts listed, and more that had a particular airline listed with a discount. I never got the sense that it made much difference in how people traveled. If I am going from Terre Haute to Chicago I am driving to Mattoon or Effingham and taking the train, and usually when I'm flying to a conference some other airline has the lowest fares even after the discount. Amtrak probably figured out that the convention discounts werent paying for themselves.
  by STrRedWolf

Arborwayfan wrote:I have been to a few conferences that had train discounts listed, and more that had a particular airline listed with a discount. I never got the sense that it made much difference in how people traveled. If I am going from Terre Haute to Chicago I am driving to Mattoon or Effingham and taking the train, and usually when I'm flying to a conference some other airline has the lowest fares even after the discount. Amtrak probably figured out that the convention discounts werent paying for themselves.
Maybe, maybe not. Anthrocon in Pittsburgh still has their discount (10%), although the trains around July 4th tend to sell out hard, and the convention I think may be peaking 8000 people for the weekend.
  by JimBoylan

Clarification from Amtrak Group Sales:

Today, June 15 is the last day to apply for a Convention Fare Code. The Convention must start at least 2 weeks in the future, and end less than 11 months from now.
  by STrRedWolf

JimBoylan wrote:Clarification from Amtrak Group Sales:

Today, June 15 is the last day to apply for a Convention Fare Code. The Convention must start at least 2 weeks in the future, and end less than 11 months from now.
So to clarify with my example, Anthrocon will not get a discount code for 2019 and beyond? Or will they still get it since they usually apply for it 6-9 months in advance of the convention?
  by STrRedWolf

JimBoylan wrote:Since a Convention Discount could only be requested less than 12 month ahead, June and July, 2019 are not possible.
You misunderstood. *WHEN* they apply for it (6-9 months before the con), would Amtrak still approve the convention discount? Or are convention discounts done forever?
  by JimBoylan

Mr. Wolf, on May 31, 2018, Amtrak claimed that they would stop accepting applications after June 15, 2018. On June 15, they confirmed that.