• Amtrak NYC Lehigh Valley service (Reading - Lebanon - Harrisburg)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MACTRAXX

...unless this train uses a ALP45DP from NJT :wink:
  by strench707

A P32AC-DM would work fine, third rail extends to the west portal of the Hudson tubes. Of course, there probably aren't any of those to spare from Hudson River services.

Davis
  by Jeff Smith

LehighValleyLive.com

Inspection run by Amtrak at request of area officials; for discussion of the potential resurrection, I've put a topic here in the LV forum (who knows who would run it) for discussion of any potential restoration: Lehigh Valley Passenger Resurrection?

Brief, fair-use quote:
Amtrak eyes Lehigh Valley passenger rail test run to NYC metro area

Amtrak is working on bringing an "inspection train" to the Lehigh Valley that would use existing freight lines to run passengers from the Valley to the New York City metro area, according to an Amtrak executive.

Amtrak has done this in the past in other parts of the country that, like the Lehigh Valley, have shown an interest in restoring passenger rail.
For the inspection train run, McHugh said he thinks a date as early as next spring is feasible.
  by Jeff Smith

My bad; someone beat me to it. Topics merged, and thanks! Please note discussion of passenger service restoration should take place in the thread linked above; this topic would be for the inspection run only. Thanks again!
  by BigDell

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/in ... on_article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's QUITE possible this belongs on one of the other running threads but not sure which is the appropriate one. The thing I liked was that there might be an Amtrak inspection train making a possible test run through the LV mainline close to my home. Always wanted to see a passenger train there and this would be quite a hoot.
Passenger rail will likely return to the Lehigh Valley next spring for the first time in close to three decades, but it'll only be here for a day.

Amtrak is working on bringing an "inspection train" to the Lehigh Valley that would use existing freight lines to run passengers from the Valley to the New York City metro area, according to an Amtrak executive.

Amtrak has done this in the past in other parts of the country that, like the Lehigh Valley, have shown an interest in restoring passenger rail.
  by necrails

Interesting but the author of the article did not fact check well. A destination of Jersey City is not in the cards unless some terminal is going to be built for this service. Travel directly into NYC, which would make the most sense would require a dual mode loco. I don't know if Amtrak owns any of these but NJT sure does. Hoboken was also mentioned as a destination, again not the best alternative given Amtrak has no presence there and that station from what I understand is pretty crowded with NJT layovers. I guess the train would run on NS rails up to Bound Brook and then take NJT's Raritan Valley line the rest of the way. It will be interesting to see what happens.
  by ccutler

There is a connection between the NS/LV line and the RV line west of Bloomsbury. That connection would be the likely crossover point.

I'm not holding my breath, unless PA pays for all of it.
  by SecaucusJunction

If he is going to run NS to Bound Brook, he might as well just keep on NS the rest of the way. The RVL eventually connects back onto the freight line at Aldene.
  by kilroy

And if you look closely at the picture you'll notice there are no pigs flying......

NY Penn is the only true option. Newark would be better than Jersey City or Hoboken. Amtrak does have dual modes, just not overhead catenary dual modes (like NJT). The tunnels have third rail in them so I see no reason why they can't operate a train into NYC. Just need money and an open slot in the tunnel schedule. Since there is none of either to be found today, this is a long way off. Until the new tunnels come on line, there just isn't room for more trains (well maybe around 11 PM or 5 AM).
  by carajul

And we will have trains on the Lackawanna cut off by 2001...

And the moon is made of blue cheese.

And there is gold in the California mountains.
  by Hawaiitiki

MACTRAXX wrote:...unless this train uses a ALP45DP from NJT :wink:
I just kind of assumed that an Amtrak inspection train wouldn't use NJT equipment, especially equipment they've shown no interest in purchasing.
strench707 wrote:A P32AC-DM would work fine, third rail extends to the west portal of the Hudson tubes. Of course, there probably aren't any of those to spare from Hudson River services.
Davis
Are you sure that third rail is active/live? NJT might have thought about leasing P32AC-DMs for the ACES service to AC, rather than the P40DC/ALP44 combo. Anybody know the last time that 3rd rail was used? I have to imagine that it was damaged during Sandy and I really wouldn't see a justification to spend the money to repair it.
  by Jeff Smith

From the article:
Logistics still need to be worked out in addition to the right-of-way and other clearances, but McHugh tentatively envisions bringing an Amtrak train up to Allentown from Philadelphia.
A straight diesel is all that's needed for the inspection run; it's not originating in New York. Maybe bookends so you don't have to turn/wye, etc.

Whoever ends up running the service can worry about power and terminus later.
  by AndyB

Do not see this as an Amtrak project. Way too much politics in federal undertakings.
Now New jersey Transit on the other hand. There, there are possibilities.
Extend Raritan Valley line from High Bridge. Add stops in Hampton/Glen Gardner, Bloomsbury, a Park and Ride Rt. 78/ Alpha (the only station that could possibly cover cost), Phillipsburg. Cross the river and on to Easton, Bethlehem and Allentown. May even get as far as Reading, but that is pushing it.
New Jersey Transit already has the experience operating across state lines and dealing with other agencies - Port Jervis.