• Amtrak new photography rules

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

Amtrak haas posted clearly defined photography rules, after the settlement in NYP case.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... ssid=11134

Make sure you read the definitions.
  by Greg Moore

Sounds like they did a decent job of clarifying the details and the like.
  by D.Carleton

NRPC wrote:In emergency and/or special circumstances (for example, declared elevation of Homeland Security Advisory System to High or Severe - orange and red) and where actions are deemed suspicious or inconsistent with this policy by observing/reporting persons, photographers and videographers may be approached and questioned to determine if further investigation or action is necessary.
If a credible threat has been received so as to necessitate elevating the Homeland Security Advisory System, doesn't that mean the bad guys have already gathered enough info (i.e. pictures)?
  by gprimr1

I do see one potential issue. Platforms appears both in the public area and the restricted areas.
Public Area. An area open to general public access and occupancy (station areas and platforms for ticketed passengers only)
Restricted areas include but are not limited to the following:

Platforms (ticketed passengers are exempt)
Did they mean to say "are for ticketed passengers only?" How will this affect small town stations?
  by DutchRailnut

Same as big town platforms, they are for ticket holding passengers only.
  by Gilbert B Norman

HIGH TIME that Amtrak set forth in delineated policies regarding what is and what ain't "kopasetic".

While I'm personally not about to again resume rail photography (yes, I did it in the past, but past in my case is twenty five years ago) activities, I'm am pleased to know that those who choose to pursue the hobby, have something written to establish "where they stand".

Memo to the AmPD, those who are within the guidelines, leave 'em be; others, "bust 'em".
  by Ken W2KB

DutchRailnut wrote:Same as big town platforms, they are for ticket holding passengers only.
It does say this, but I would expect that a rule of reason would be applied and the ticketed passenger exemption applied to a reasonable number of friends or family assisting the passenger with baggage or seeing them off or meeting them at the station platform.

The definition could also be construed as "platforms for tickets passengers only" as meaning those platforms so designated by signage, versus an unmarked platform. I've seen both situations at Amtrak stations.
  by railaw

The definition is spcifying that restricted areas include platforms that are for ticketed passengers only. Of course not all platforms are for ticketed passengers only.
  by Noel Weaver

I think there is a lot of room for dispute in these regulations. As for station platforms, a good number of station platforms
are not owned by Amtrak in the first place. For example in South Florida the only station between Miami and West Palm
Beach that is owned by Amtrak is the Miami Station. The rest of them are owned by the State of Florida and Amtrak is a
guest.
I predict that people will continue to have problems with Amtrak and especially with over zealous police officers who think
their word is the law regardless of what the actual law is.
It doesn't really make a lot of difference to me because I do not take very many pictures these days anyway. I would rather
look at pictures taken by others.
Noel Weaver
  by Spokker

They're not perfect guidelines but they are an improvement.
  by DutchRailnut

From the NPPA link:
"My only caution is that while Amtrak operates nationwide many of its stations and right-of-ways throughout the country are operated by an array of property management companies," Osterreicher said. "Those companies may or may not adopt these guidelines. Unfortunately the public has no way of knowing that when all they see is the familiar Amtrak logo. I still strongly believe that regardless of the ownership public areas are considered a public forum where first amendment protections for photography would apply."
Noel as you can see that was covered too.
  by jtunnel

So let me see if I get this right then.

If I visit an Amtrak station, I can take photos from public areas (like a parking lot) No problem.

The station platform, while a "public area" is still a "restricted area" unless I have a ticket or ask the Station manager if I can go out onto the platform to take a few photos.

Amtrak Police (still) can not confiscate, delete or destroy images (or ask me to do the same) Areas that are posted with the Homeland Security Threat levels, I can expect to at least be asked for identification.

Am I close?

Wonder if Amtrak will sell "platform tickets" like some European Countries do :-D
  by DutchRailnut

The new order also states that while “Officers may request that an individual consent to release of a recording, film or picture. Any consent must be knowing and voluntary. Under no circumstances will officers delete, destroy or alter photographs/videos; nor shall they request that photographs/video be deleted, destroyed or altered. (The bold underline is in the order.)
As I see it, the Police officer can ask you to delete(release) of recording, film or picture , They can not do it themselfs, but by not releasing they could if they feel arrest the Photographer and confiscate camera as evidence.
  by Kaback9

The platform rule is for larger stations like NYP, South Station, Union Station etc etc, you can still shoot from say Metropark along the NEC as its not owned by Amtrak and the NJT Photo rules state that you can shoot from the platform and since NJT owns the station you follow their rules.