• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

andrewjw wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Is that what BBD is trying to now,"SELL" the upgrade to Amtrak to "save face".
Maybe to try and sell off to GO transit or CalTran
I think MARC would be a more likely buyer - they already have them in service, and know exactly how reliable the rebuilds are. They have some pretty old diesels, too.
Not likely. MARC needs diesels for two of their three lines. The HHP-8's can't run on non-electrified CSX lines. They'll more likely replace the old diesels with new diesels.
  by gokeefe

ApproachMedium wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Amtrak is required to keep their Hippos current on 92 day inspections even while stored,per the BBD lease.
The little birds flying around said this, as well as there is the possibility of them doing the same upgrade that MARC got.
Absolutely astounding ... Good news in general. Plenty of good power to go around will make for excellent OTP on the NEC.
  by ApproachMedium

andrewjw wrote:Were Amtrak to have a hard time finding a buyer, I'd be unsurprised if they'd give MARC a good enough deal to overcome this issue.
Amtrak isnt responsible for finding a buyer of the hhp-8, bombardier is.
  by dowlingm

electricron wrote:Wouldn’t GO transit in Toronto make a good match for these modified HHP8s for future electrified corridors? They tend to run 10 or more BiLevel coaches behind their locomotives, so their higher power output could be useful.
Unless the Bombardier upgrade means HHP8 doesn't freak out at heat or the wrong kind of snow, let Caltrans have them :D With the change in government in Ontario, we have no idea where electrification stands anyway.
  by ApproachMedium

HHP-8s are rubbish with cab cars. They never fixed the first notch problem. They are really slow in push pull mode on MARCs apparently. IDK if the upgrade to IGBTs changed this with the software mod. HHPs also really dislike heat and hot weather, at least the GTO power modules did. Again, we will see how 4910 fairs this summer.
  by Backshophoss

Did any of the Hippo's get rigged with ACSES gear? IF upgraded as the MARC Hippo's ,could be handy as a surge fleet,and protect duty at NY Penn,
Boston South Station,and at Ivy City(DC).
  by ApproachMedium

mtuandrew wrote:Are Amtrak’s HHPs equipped with PTC? Was thinking about how hard-up NJT is for compliant power and remembered these.
HHP-8s never got the ACSES update to the new ADUs as well as the new radio equipment. The AEM-7s, did, and would be much more suitable for NJTs needs.
  by gokeefe

I would imagine they will be getting the update now ...
  by gokeefe

Someone posted in the Acela replacement thread that Alstom, not Bombardier, is doing the HHP-8 upgrade for MARC. Is this correct?
  by STrRedWolf

gokeefe wrote:Someone posted in the Acela replacement thread that Alstom, not Bombardier, is doing the HHP-8 upgrade for MARC. Is this correct?
Even through Alstrom got together with Bombardier to make the HHP-8, Bombardier is the only one with the maintenance contract and access to the HHP-8's.

That does not preclude Bombardier sub-contracting with Alstrom, though. I would assume ether Bombardier themselves or Bombardier w/subcontract to Alstrom.
  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote:I would imagine they will be getting the update now ...
If the Amtrak units get the ACSES II upgrade, it’s a good sign that they will be back on the rails. If not, much more unlikely except as potential trailing units - and that’s unlikely for electrics on the Corridor.
  by gokeefe

It is just so unimaginable that Amtrak would be so flush with electric power with all HHP-8's back in service and a full complement of ACS-64's ... Amazing stuff to think about ...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, from reviewing much of this topic, I stand at a loss to find anything beyond internet speculation that Amtrak has any intention of returning these HHP-8 units to service.

Those around here who "do this stuff for a living" have suggested the Hippos were unfit from the day they entered revenue service. Could this speculation arise as it appears that two ACS-64 units will be written off (Chester and Frankford) once the Legal Beagles are done with them? Could it arise from that at present, Amtrak can meet its electric motive power needs, but will have difficulty once the (I think about three) Corridor trains annulled due to the Penn Station repairs are restored?

Enquiring mind wants to know.
  by gokeefe

The report in this topic was/is from reliable sources. I will see what I can dig up ...