• Amtrak derailment?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

Last night while flipping channels during the 11PM news, I hit Channel 10 as they were talking about an Amtrak derailment. I didn't hear the lead-in but they showed a reporter on the scene. Their web site did not list the story, the local paper's web site does not have it, can't find it anywhere. I'm starting to think I fell asleep and dreamed it, but my better half assures she saw it too. Anybody have details? Or were they talking about one that happened some time ago, as a follow-up?

by clearblock

There was an Amtrak derailment in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington yesterday. Reports say engine derailed, some minor injuries to passengers.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/03/amtrak ... index.html
  by rls62

An article in today's Rochester Democrat & Chronicle indicated that the 3 rear passenger cars of the 7 car westbound Amtrak train derailed near Franklin St. in the village of Lyons about 6pm. No one was injured in the incident. The cause of the derailment has yet to be determined.
Last edited by rls62 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

by DutchRailnut

Correct

Another Amtrak derailment: #287(03APR)
Author: GenePoon
Empire Service Train 287(03APR) derailed at Lyons, NY. According to Amtrak, no injuries resulted.

#287 was due at Syracuse at 255pm, and at Rochester at 411pm. Lyons is approximately midway between Syracuse and Rochester; the derailment reportedly occurred at about 600pm.

-GP

Guess all that rain did saturate the tracks a bit:--)

by BR&P

Sorry I forgot to post my location. It was Rochester NY TV, and it would have been the Lyons NY one they were talking about. Thanks - maybe they'll have more deatils later.

by J.D. White

DutchRailnut wrote:#287 was due at Syracuse at 255pm, and at Rochester at 411pm. Lyons is approximately midway between Syracuse and Rochester; the derailment reportedly occurred at about 600pm.
OK, Syracuse at 2:55 and Rochester at 4:11, but the derailment happened in Lyons at 6:00?

[sarcasm] Now that's fast service! [/sarcasm]

No wonder why Amtrak is losing money.

by DutchRailnut

Mr White you sarcasm iks noted, but yesterday a lot was going on with weather and severe delays were happening all over East coast.
Before shooting off please know the circumstances

by Rockingham Racer

DutchRailnut wrote:Mr White you sarcasm iks noted, but yesterday a lot was going on with weather and severe delays were happening all over East coast.
Before shooting off please know the circumstances
Dutch, I think you missed the logic of his statement: if Lyons is between Rochester and Syracuse, it's impossible for the derailment to have happened at the time stated[/quote]

by DutchRailnut

The times in Mr Poons post is the time the train was due in those two locations.
The train was obviously not running on time.
  by RS112556

Evidently the weather must have been playing havoc with the railroads this past week end. Just after 4PM Sat. 4/2 an Amtrak west bound was stopped on the main near Winton Rd, Rochester. Bottleneck at Goodman St. yard ? Signal problems? Sure was a miserable weekend all around.

by Aji-tater

"yesterday a lot was going on with weather and severe delays were happening all over East coast. Before shooting off please know the circumstances" (DutchRailnut)

Correct - the whole area had wind and rain, farther west they had snow. You guys have to remember this isn't the old days - if it had rained and snowed back 70 years ago the NYC certainly would never have been able to run trains like the Century on time.

Fact of the matter is that nobody - management or labor - cares whether a train is on time any more or not. Look at some of the "on time" percentages and compare them with back when. And in those days "on time" meant just that, not within a window of time.

There are a lot of knowledgable people out in this forum - can anyone think of ANYBODY who has been disciplined for delaying a passenger train recently? A dispatcher? Passenger train engineer? Freight crew that didn't clear in time? Signal maintainer? Shop crew not ready with the coaches? Trainmaster or even a Superintendent for making a wrong decision? With all the late Amtrak trains there must be SOMEBODY who got in trouble....can anybody give an example?

by videobruce

Broken frog is the probable cause................

BTW, track two around Newark has been under water for many miles...........

by J.D. White

DutchRailnut wrote:Before shooting off please know the circumstances
You're absolutely right DutchRailnut. I had hastily given a response which was uncalled for ... a "hit below the belt" to speak of.