• Amtrak Crescent Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

NS bridge over the lake is intact but the track is gone.

by njt4172

Just heard from a reliable source at Amtrak media relations starting September 12th the Southbound Crescent will travel to Meridan, Miss..... The northbound will follow suite on the following day......

Also, City of New Orleans will travel between Chicago and Jackson starting September 5th/6th.....

Steve
  by jp1822

The "Crescent Star" proposal by the "W gang" would offer a nice connectivity option (turning East-West from Meridian-Jackson-Longview) that has been lost through New Orleans. New Orleans once put people in touch with the City of New Orleans, Crescent and Sunset Limited. Replace the later with the Texas Eagle, which connects with a truncated Sunset Limited. Course I think the Crescent Star route needed some trackwork attention. Plus wouldn't this add an extra evening onboard (plus trainset) for the Crescent if it was to operate from NY Penn to a point in Texas?

But if another Eastern Long Distance train, that I'll keep nameless turns to Superliner equipment (with Supleriner Equipment displaced from a truncated Sunset Limited), and forwarded to the Crescent for this "Crescent Star" routing, then it could be a proposal that would work - if freight RR's agree and track is in descent condition for running Amtrak trains.

by AmtrakFan

Mr. 1822,
I like your idea of the nameless Superliner but what about a Lounge, Coach and Sleeper for Houston from the Sunset Limited?

by hsr_fan

It might be a good opportunity to institute a New York - Dallas route, if New Orleans is going to be a mess for years to come.

by Gilbert B Norman

The most reasonable and practical "fix" insofar as Amtrak is concerned would be to establish Ambus routes from Meridian and Jackson to New Orleans. However, somehow I think the Gulf Wind (whoops, Sunset) has run its last.

Lest we note, Amtrak has reason to return to New Orleans beyondmerely serving the city. Their maintenance facility is needed to thaw out frozen cars during the winter, and if my prophecy regarding the Sunset comes to pass, it will be a turn point for that train as well.

by AmtrakFan

Mr. Norman,
I like your idea of having AmBuses on that route but one suggestion how about a Jackson-Marshall, TX one? Marshall, TX is an Eagle Stop.

by jp1822

Try and get Amtrak instead of Ambus. Amtrak seriously needs some connectivity in the Southeast region now with these lines truncated.

Would be nice if Texas would pony up some money and run a stub train from San Antonio to Houston or other route that would connect Houston to the Amtrak network.

From what I read in the recent TRAINS magazine, it seems they may have done some upgrades and improvement on the line that the proposed Crescent Star was to operate on. However, I also get the feeling that it's probably running high with freight traffic at present due to re-routes around NOL.

I also saw, per route map in TRAINS magazine that there is a line from the City of New Orleans route to Baton Rouge. Perhaps Amtrak ought to see if Baton Rouge would be a better terminal for this train than Hammond? I think the connecting track to Baton Rouge would still permit Amtrak to serve the Hammond community.

Hopefully Amtrak will come up with adjusted schedules, routes, and trainsets as a result of this devastation in the Gulf Coast region. Cutting back service (i.e. diner, sightseer car) is not what I was hoping for.

by AmtrakFan

Would be nice if maybe Amtrak just ran the San Antiono-Houston Train without all the red tape from Texas.

by John_Perkowski

Intrastate in Texas, Mr Poshepny. 403(b) applies

If they do that, then I expect them to run KC-StL without making Missouri pay for it.

And that list just keep going on!

John Perkowski

by AmtrakFan

What is 403B? I know this is stupid but I have never got what it is used for.

by Gilbert B Norman

Section 403(b) of the Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970 (RPSA 70) is that which sets forth applicable provisions regarding locally initiated passenger services.

In pertinent part, those provisions require that when a local agency, i.e. a state or regional authority, desires to operate a passenger train and is prepared to pay appropriate costs (how much has been amended with subsequent legislation), Amtrak is compelled to use their rights of access granted by the Act, to provide crews for the train and station services, and to the extent reasonably practical, provide equipment.

We should note, however, simply because a train is intrastate, does not necessarily mean that the service is provided under Section 403(b); case in point: the New York Empire Service.
  by tennessetravelers

Hi, this is my spouse’s and my first post here and a description of our first train trip since college days many years ago.

We were looking for a different pleasure trip and found that we could get to New York by train if we drove to Meridian MS from our our home in Memphis and caught the Crescent train there. After the hurricane difficulties, the Crescent had been originating in Meridian instead of New Orleans but two days prior to our departure had resumed its New Orleans’ origin.

We had booked a bedroom on the train and, after spending the night in Meridian, arrived at the modern Meridian station the next morning to find that the train was already running 30 minutes late. After boarding, as we were checking out our bedroom, our attendant passed by and we said that the bedroom was not the arrangement that appears on the Amtrak website. Her response was “Oh, don’t ever believe any of that stuff that they show on the internet.”

Not being seasoned train travelers, we took a while to get adjusted to the swaying, rocking, bouncing motion of the ride. O.K., to tell the truth, fifty-seven hours of train travel later, we had still not gotten used to it.

Our dinner that night was pleasant, with friendly service, decent food, and a not too crowded dining car. After having our attendant turn down our beds, we found out just how small the bedrooms are. To brush your teeth, you have to kneel on the lower bed to reach the basin. Two people trying to change clothes in a 2-foot by 2-foot space - forget it. And then the attempts at sleeping. In the week since we have returned, my spouse and I have said that it would be better to not have the beds turned down and just try to sleep sitting up with a couple of pillows.

Morning brought coffee to our room at the requested time and the news that we were two hours behind schedule. Having paid to have a bedroom with shower, I was determined to use the shower. At least I can now say I have showered on a train. Once.

Arriving over two hours late in New York, our plans for the afternoon were pretty much ruined, but it was raining heavily anyway.

Our return trip to Meridian a few days later was a close repeat of our trip up.

As first-class passengers, we enjoyed the Amtrak lounge at Penn Station, with snacks, soft drinks, and a bit of quiet while waiting for our departure.

As on the trip up, our trip back to Meridian ran over 2 hours late, and I was furious as it meant our drive back to Memphis from Meridian would be mostly in the dark, something I’m not good at.

We are still talking about our train experiences, and as time goes by the good seems to out-weigh the bad, but I feel Amtrak just ain’t gonna make it unless they do something about this lateness. People now-a-days have schedules and plans. Yesterday I looked at the Amtrak web-site and that day’s Crescent train from Meridian Ms to New York was set to arrive over 8 hours late. How would you like to have been on that train with plans for a big night in New York ?

by JoeG

The Crescent has 2 sizes of sleeper rooms, now called roomette and bedroom. I'm not sure which you got, but the roomette (which used to be called "standard bedroom") is really too small for 2 adults. So, if you got the smaller, next time get the bigger room if you can afford it.
If the motion of the train bothers you, rooms toward the center of the car ride smoother.
Lateness unfortunately is the rule rather than the exception for Amtrak long distance trains. It is largely beyond Amtrak's control, as they are at the mercy of the freight railroads on whose tracks they run.

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr JoeG has a point. The standard accomodation for two persons is the Bedroom. Although the Roomette has two berths, it nevertheless is an accomodation designed for one adult, and adult with a small child, two adolescents traveling with family that is occupying a Bedroom, or two adults who are prepared to accept an "indoor camping' experience.

Amtrak Sales Agents often can be your friendly Armed Forces recruiter and leave the impression that 'Roomette or Bedroom, it's all the same'; I've seen cases of that on my travels that end with the quite predicatble "never again". I've also heard of cases where the Sales Agent has someone convinced "Coach/Sleeper; it;s all the same' and that somehow magically someone is going to sleep sitting up in a chair as if they were in their own bed.

Regretably, on the single level trains that serve Northeast Corridor points, Bedrooms are in very scarce supply. There are only two per simgle level Viewliner sleeper - and there are only half the number (50 v. 100) of those as were intended.