• Amtrak Capitol Corridor (California) Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by qboy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Several commuter agencies with push-pull equipment have restricted the use of the head car to passengers.

Florida's Tri-Rail places a barricade on the head car immediately ahead of the stairs to the upper level; I'd wager that LAMTA Metrolink does same (both agencies operate same styled equipment). When not needed such as during mid day runs, METRA closes the head car to passengers.
Maybe on some routes but on the UP metra lines we use the cab car first in both inbound and outbound.

by wigwagfan

hsr_fan wrote:Nothing beats riding in the first car of a German ICE-3 at 186 mph with a view through the front window! :-D
I've found it a shame that North American railcar designs don't incorporate some of the features that can be found on European rolling stock - like the forward-viewing window that allows passengers a nearly unobstructed view forward on the newer ICE and some other DMU/EMU trainsets. My understanding is that the operator can make the window oblique if necessary, but the point is for it to be open so people can look forward out the cab window.

Of course, Americans would probably find every reason to look for a lawsuit out that window, the designs probably would hinder compliance with FRA regulations, and the crew members would complain about the "Big Brother" effect. My alternative is to have seatback television sets, with a nose-mounted camera which eliminates two of the three "problems" - since so many railfans already bring their radio scanners onboard and know what is going on.

by hsr_fan

wigwagfan wrote:My alternative is to have seatback television sets, with a nose-mounted camera which eliminates two of the three "problems" - since so many railfans already bring their radio scanners onboard and know what is going on.
I believe Australia's Queensland Tilt Train has this feature.

by Jersey_Mike

Don't the Amtrak California bi-levels have a railfan view that does not require actually being in the cab???

by GeorgeF

wigwagfan wrote:I've found it a shame that North American railcar designs don't incorporate some of the features that can be found on European rolling stock - like the forward-viewing window that allows passengers a nearly unobstructed view forward on the newer ICE and some other DMU/EMU trainsets.
Back when the turbos were on the NYP-BOS route, I sat in the front dome where the view forward was perfect, except for the engineer and fireman! The fireman was dressed for a steam loco, right down to the bandana! The fireman appeared to be rather bored. As I recall, he had just one button in front of him, too.

by David Benton

The Aussie tilt train does have the camera up the front .seems to be up to the driver wether to turn it on or not . Also has route map and speed on the screen .

by Gilbert B Norman

I can recall a 1971 ride Roma-Napoli aboard premium class equipment that had a lounge with a forward view.

Regarding Mr. Halstead's thoughts on a TV camera in the nose, that goes further back than one may think. The Rock Island offered such, circa 1955, for Parlor Car passengers on their Talgo equipment between Chicago and Peoria.

Considering the flat screen HDTV technology in place today, such would be an "amenity enhacesment' for the Acela. However, with the removal of the draft beer dispensing the stillborn seat assignment system, and now the "temporary' deactivation of the AC poweroutlets, enhancement is not exactly in the game plan at present - even in the premium service that attracts clientele prepared to pay whatever they must.!

by wigwagfan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Considering the flat screen HDTV technology in place today, such would be an "amenity enhacesment' for the Acela. However, with the removal of the draft beer dispensing the stillborn seat assignment system, and now the "temporary' deactivation of the AC poweroutlets, enhancement is not exactly in the game plan at present - even in the premium service that attracts clientele prepared to pay whatever they must.!
Surprisingly, Amtrak had the flat screen LCD TVs in the Viewliner sleeping car rooms - years before they became commonplace whereever and whenever. My understanding is that they've been yanked, however.
  by transitteen

Train service will be expanding from the current 24 round trips to 32 round trips between Oakland and Sacramento. Service between San Jose and Sacramento will be increasing by 6 trains (a 52% increase over current service levels), while service from Oakland to Sacramento will be expanding by 30%. The goal is to offer more frequent and convenient service and to obtain a level of service closer to the Northeast corridor.

According to Eugene Skoropowski, the Managing Director of the CCJPA, "Starting August 28, 2006, the Sacramento-Oakland segment of the Capitol Corridor will offer you as much service as Amtrak operates on its Northeast Corridor between Boston and New York."

The Capitol Corridor trains will continue to remain an Unreserved service. Also, San Joaquin trains are now accepting Capitol Corridor tickets for travel to/from stations between Martinez and Oakland Jack London offering even more travel options. More details and the schedules are all included in the links below. All and all... good news for passengers in Northern California!

Most Recent Message to Riders

Press Release about Service Expansion

New Schedule Effective Monday, August 28, 2006
  by GG14935

Does anyone know of a site where I can find month by month Capitol ridership numbers for 2006 or/and 2007. Its for a college math project.

by gprimr1

The ridership reports are all on Amtrak's website.

I think this is what you want: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 7&ssid=322

by mkellerm

Here are the numbers for January and February 2007, which are not yet posted on the Amtrak website (by way of http://www.railpac.org):

January 2007:

Capitol Corridor:
· 114,588 passengers +14.3% vs. FY06 and a record for the month
· $1,337,960 ticket revenue +20.6% vs. FY06

Pacific Surfliner:
· 189,098 passengers +2.6% vs. FY06 and a record for the month
· $2,956,144 ticket revenue +4.5% vs. FY06

San Joaquins:
· 51,925 passengers -4.5% vs. FY06
· $1,704,390 ticket revenue +2.9% vs. FY06

February 2007:

Capitol Corridor

· 103,666 passengers +15.9% vs. FY06 and a record for the month

· $1,278,488 ticket revenue +22.4% vs. FY06

Pacific Surfliner

· 182,964 passengers -3.3% vs. FY06

· $2,868,601 ticket revenue +2.3% vs. FY06

San Joaquins

· 52,809 passengers -4.9% vs. FY06

· $1,586,189 ticket revenue +4.3% vs. FY06

by gprimr1

Only Amtrak can post a reduction in ridership and an increase in revenue.

by jck

Not sure why Amtrak maximizing revenue a bad thing.

I'm sure if they offered the service for free, ridership numbers would be a lot higher.

If losing a few passengers to higher fares is more than offset by increased total revenue, I think that makes it a sound business decision.

by mkellerm

I have to agree with jck; given Amtrak's always precarious financial position, it is hard to argue that increasing total revenue is a bad thing, even if ridership decreases a little.

That being said, it is worth remembering that there were service disruptions on both the Surfliners and San Joaquins in Feb. due to trackwork (crossing replacement on the Surfliners, the annual BNSF track blitz in the San Joaquin valley).