• Amboy Secondary Customers

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wolfboy8171981

For those who care here is a list of customers located on the Amboy Secondary.

MP 5.0 Madison Chemical- tank cars
A.E Allen Pole co.- Bulkhead flat cars
MP 7.0 Minteq - loaded sand hopper, Empty boxcars
MP 7.8 Swhitzer - Boxcars wood pulp
MP 8.6 Greif Brothers- boxcars
MP 8.7 Inland Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 15.0 BASF- Tank cars
MP 15.6 Home Depot-boxcars and flat cars lumber
Cary Compounders- Plastic hoppers
PSS Wharehouse- Boxcars of goods
MP 15.8 Cardinal Wharehousing Boxcars
MP 15.9 North American Packaging- Plastic Hoppers
MP 16.0 Southern Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 16.3 Air Products and Chemical - Tank cars loads and emptys
Flint Ink- Tanks of non haz oil, carbon black hoppers
Film Packaging co. - plastic hoppers
Sappi Fine Paper- Boxcars paper
MP 16.5 Proctor and Gamble. Tanks corn syrup

this is the busiest line served out of Browns yard. From MP 15-16.5 is served by the SA-33 M-F during the nite.

wolf

by nick11a

Thanks, much appreciated!

Nick
  by Butlershops

Is Grief Brothers constantly moving? They had a place at Rahway off of the NEC, and a place on the Pascack Valley Line near Teterboro.
wolfboy8171981 wrote:For those who care here is a list of customers located on the Amboy Secondary.

MP 5.0 Madison Chemical- tank cars
A.E Allen Pole co.- Bulkhead flat cars
MP 7.0 Minteq - loaded sand hopper, Empty boxcars
MP 7.8 Swhitzer - Boxcars wood pulp
MP 8.6 Greif Brothers- boxcars
MP 8.7 Inland Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 15.0 BASF- Tank cars
MP 15.6 Home Depot-boxcars and flat cars lumber
Cary Compounders- Plastic hoppers
PSS Wharehouse- Boxcars of goods
MP 15.8 Cardinal Wharehousing Boxcars
MP 15.9 North American Packaging- Plastic Hoppers
MP 16.0 Southern Container- Boxcars paperboard
MP 16.3 Air Products and Chemical - Tank cars loads and emptys
Flint Ink- Tanks of non haz oil, carbon black hoppers
Film Packaging co. - plastic hoppers
Sappi Fine Paper- Boxcars paper
MP 16.5 Proctor and Gamble. Tanks corn syrup

this is the busiest line served out of Browns yard. From MP 15-16.5 is served by the SA-33 M-F during the nite.

wolf

by njt4172

Wolf,

Is this the same line the meanders its way across Route 287 right before you get to the route 1 exit? That is a lot of rail customers in a small area!!

Steve

by wolfboy8171981

i think Greif Bros. have more than one siding, the lone on the amboy gets maybe 2-3 cars a month.

Steve Nope thats the Bohampton ind track off the NEC by Metuchen, the RCRY does have alot of work there, The Amboy go under the NJTP at exit 8A where there are more than one industrial park

by njtmnrrbuff

You know, I was just thinking of a good idea for the Amboy Sec if transit were to run MOM. Since you will be under old catenaey poles, why don't you think about having a longer version of a Jersey Ave spur. Install a big park-n-ride lot around 8A. You could get some direct service to the city.

by OCtrainguy

Wolf, thanks for the information. I have noticed that there has been an increase in cars at Browns Yard. On some recent Saturdays, I have noticed that there is a good deal of cars at the eastern end (behind the new warehouses that are being built) of the yard. Also, I have seen the SA42 stopped just east of the Browns Road grade crossing while another crew moved cars between the grade crossing there and the yard office.

by gravelyfan

Wolf,

If you don't mind a few more questions,

What are the new "sidings" that are mentioned in the recent Bulletin Orders used for?

Can you run down the active customers on the other lines (Freehold, Hightstown, Sayreville, Southern) as you have time?

What else is the SA 31 doing since they seem to be only going on the SOuthern once a week?

Thanks

by wolfboy8171981

The new sidings in the Bulletin were new tracks that were built in the yard. There was a 60 car siding on the old RRRR where the wye is located, and was used to stage Silverline's for the SA-2 and some Steel for the SA-22. the siding was removed and the three tracks were built to replace them. Also there was money left over, and all the switches on the yard ladder were made into push button power switches.

The SA-31 has been taking 2 day trips down the Southern, and the other days Hightstown and Freehold work.

by baju

Does freight ever go as far south or west to cranberry(hightstown) end of line(by the turnpike)? How often?

by transit383

When are they going to install the gates on the Old Matawan Road crossing? That crossing was rebuilt some time ago and the crossing poles were fitted with provisions for installing gates, yet no gates were ever installed on them.

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:When are they going to install the gates on the Old Matawan Road crossing? That crossing was rebuilt some time ago and the crossing poles were fitted with provisions for installing gates, yet no gates were ever installed on them.
Your right, forgot about that.

Actually, my aunt lives about 2 minutes driving distance from there.

by wolfboy8171981

Chamberin-Barclay is the furthest west we travel, once or twice a month.

as for the gates, i heard last summer the county DOT is going to rework the traffic lights at the intersection of 527/615 and i think there waiting for that before the gates as the crossing is supposed to be linked to it as well.

by Sir Ray

wolfboy8171981, your posts have been very informative, including the new topic of Sayerville.
Only one question, on the other secondaries/running tracks you did not post types of cars, can we assume:
plastic = hoppers
brick = boxcar
fertilizer = tank cars maybe?
plasterboard = boxcar? centerbeam?
same with lumber
steel = ?
goods = boxcar?

I like the phrase 'goods' BTW, very British sounding :-)

by wolfboy8171981

I'm sorry i didnt even notice.

Lumber would be Centerbeams and boxcars
Fertilizer are Grain type hoppers
Plasterboard- boxcars
Goods-boxcars
Steel- scrap in gons and hoppers- re-bar in gons and flats.

As a side note, once in a while Dinaso gets Plasterboard on Centerbeams.