• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Chris Brown

I've seen car 7299, but I still have not seen any of the cars over that number. Cars 7300 to 7307 should be in service now.
  by octr202

Sand Box John wrote:"YOLO"

Here is a 3/4 rendering of a 7k car from a 3D CAD drawing I created.

I think the cab end and disco ball logo looks better in Metro brown.

Thanks for creating that rendering. I've been thinking the same thing since the 7K design was first unveiled - they should have kept some connection to the "WMATA Brown" on the new cars...helps make it look more uniquely Washington.
  by MCxClive

Today I saw 7326-7327-7325-7324 as part of an in-service 8 car train on the red line (with older 7000s). Also saw 7314-7315 last week. They're out and about.
  by Chris Brown

MCxClive wrote:Today I saw 7326-7327-7325-7324 as part of an in-service 8 car train on the red line (with older 7000s). Also saw 7314-7315 last week. They're out and about.
Why does it seem like almost all of them are on the red line? I occasionally see them on the green line, but rarely on the others.
  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
Why does it seem like almost all of them are on the red line? I occasionally see them on the green line, but rarely on the others.

Because it is the single most heavily patronized line in the system. More Red line trains pass through Metro Center on the upper level on any given day then the combined Blue, Orange and Silver through the lower level.
  by JDC

Chris Brown wrote:
MCxClive wrote:Today I saw 7326-7327-7325-7324 as part of an in-service 8 car train on the red line (with older 7000s). Also saw 7314-7315 last week. They're out and about.
I tend to see nearly 50% of trains on Green line being 7000-series, though less during this current Safetrack.
  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
Can all rail yards service 7Ks or is it just Greenbelt/Shady Grove

Considering there are more of them on the property then any other series, I think we can safely believe that all the folks employed in rolling stock maintenance are capable servicing them.
  by dcmike

There's 344 on the property as of today.

No WMATA technicians are working on the cars yet as they're all still under warranty, but that will change in the next few weeks. They can be serviced at any yard (just like the legacy cars) but for now they're all assigned to Shady Grove for preventative maintenance. This is why you see them more frequently on the Red Line. I don't have any official word on it but I would hazard a guess for why you're seeing fewer on the Green Line.. probably to see if noise complaints go away in the neighborhoods directly above the tunnels.
  by JDC

AH. Good point. I definitely have seen less 8-car trains of 7000-series on Green Line, though I thought it just coincided with the current SafeTrack surge. But that would be another good guess.
  by Head-end View

dcmike, are the 7000's noisier than the legacy cars?
  by Chris Brown

The trains themselves are not louder, but the wheels do make more noise on the tracks than the older fleet. The higher weight is the current theory floating around, but I don't think the true reason has been confirmed yet.