• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Suburban Station

ThirdRail7 wrote: Well, the problem with the cab cars is still present unless PA changes the consist. They currently contract for AM2s (I don't know if it costs more than an AM1) and AM2s aren't push pull compatible. It seems to me this wasn't always the case. I kind of remember the Pennsylvanian being an entire AM1 set at some point.
You're spot on with the engine situation, though. Once the full compliment of ACS-64s arrives, it'll make for an easier engine profile...assuming they end up working well with the cab cars(remember, the hhp-8s didn't.) You won't have to worry about trying make sure 43-42 is equipped with a reman or hhp-8.
technically they don't pay for anything yet! ; ) (hence the chopping block thread). The Pennsylvanian seems to be running with whatever amtrak has laying around. Am2's not only aren't push pull compatible but they lack wifi and have MORE legroom than business class (the pennsylvanian's dirty little secret). I'd think that given the length of the trip you'd want wifi in all cars and your biz class should offer some benefit in seating comfort. we shall see.
given that amtrak has stated they want to convert the ame7's to cabs they better work! PA may need to give some consideration as to whether the Amfleets or whatever replacement Amtrak cooks up are right for their service. knocking off time to harrisburg and ny would be a boon to the service.
  by jp1822

There's a crew base at Harrisburg that could handle the engine change if needed. But as mentioned, with the reverse direction at 30th Street, and the lack of a cab car or "ACES" setup, keeping the engine change at Philly is most optimal.

Philly 30th St. Station needed a larger crew base to perform switching moves when M&E was in its prime, Keystones had to completely switch power, and the Clockers were running. Most engine changes have been occurring in Washington DC. So eventually - if Amtrak made changes - Harrisburg could be better utilized. But if this is to gain any traction, it will likely only happen when Amtrak has its new electric motors in place.
  by Patrick Boylan

Others have implied it, but I'll try to say it in my words. Since it's only 1 train a day flexibility can be better at 30th St than at Harrisburg. An electric locomotive at Harrisburg has to wait till the eastbound Pennsylvanian comes back. Presumably the trains that terminate at Harrisburg have their own working locomotives to get back to Philly-NY. At 30th St those electrics are available to go onto any of the many northeast corridor trains that might need one, and are that much closer to NY and DC in case they need them there.
And of course what others have already said, since you're changing ends at 30th St anyway, unless you have a cab at the other end of the train, you would have to run the engine around, so you're cutting out an extra step by not needing also to change power at Harrisburg.
  by ThirdRail7

This is an editorial reagrding the Pennsylvanian that I completely agree with:

Consider additional train trip
October 22, 2013
The Altoona Mirror

Please allow a brief fair use quote:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... -trip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While the prospect might now seem remote for a second Amtrak daily passenger train between central Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, it's too soon for proponents of the additional travel resource to accept defeat.

Instead of being silent, backers of a second train-travel opportunity need to ramp up their message - that Amtrak communities such as Huntingdon, Tyrone, Altoona and Johnstown, given adequate chance, can provide sufficient numbers of passengers for the additional service.

Meanwhile, since continuation of the current once-a-day run has been guaranteed for only a year, support for it beyond the current fiscal year also must remain at the forefront.

A past six-month test run of a second western Pennsylvania train did not provide enough time to build strong passenger numbers. Although optimistic passenger statistics were starting to evolve, the run was discontinued - a not-well-thought-out business decision.

In pushing forward, second-train advocates must deliver the message that a second run can succeed if it is scheduled for times that best serve potential riders' needs.

Having gotten encouraging passenger results from the earlier test run, it's reasonable to conclude that a second Amtrak run is worthy of implementation and further evaluation, combined with a strong marketing initiative. Current marketing of train travel's amenities can best be described as anemic.

When did this six month test run operate?
  by Suburban Station

is it possible they're talking about the parkway limited?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkway_Limited" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree, a second NY_Philadelphia-Pittsburgh train would do a lot of good
  by Suburban Station

Station Aficionado wrote:Well, Wiki says that from '81 to '83, there was a second Pittsburgh-Altoona train called the Ft. Pitt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duquesne_% ... 29#History
if they're advocating a second pittsburgh-altoona train I'd say they're barking up the wrong tree. first they need a second NYP-PHL-PGH train
  by ExCon90

Since the editorial mentions Huntingdon and Tyrone, it seems like that's what they're thinking.
  by lirr42

While skimming through the forum's recent posts I did not see this interesting bit of news shared here about the Pennsylvanian, and not seeing a general thread for the Train that Travels Daily between New York City and Pittsburgh, I created this one. (the only other alternative was the padlocked Pittsburgh-Harrisburg on the Chopping Block thread)

But the news that Amtrak brings, effective December 3rd, is that unreserved coach seating will be available between Harrisburg and Philadelphia on Pennsylvanian Trains 42 and 43. Passengers traveling between Harrisburg, Elizabethtown, Lancaster, Exton, Paoli and Philadelphia will no longer be required to make reservations for coach seating.

Just like the Keystones, you will still need a reservation for travel between Philadelphia and New York.

It's an interesting move on Amtrak/PennDOT's part and I would be interested to know the reasoning and any possible "future plans" that went into such a decision. The last time I rode the Pennsylvanian it was fairly well patronized, so it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes because of this.
  by ThirdRail7

lirr42 wrote:While skimming through the forum's recent posts I did not see this interesting bit of news shared here about the Pennsylvanian,
and not seeing a general thread for the Train that Travels Daily between New York City and Pittsburgh, I created this one. (the only other alternative was the padlocked Pittsburgh-Harrisburg on the Chopping Block thread)
**ahem** we do have a thread that was last utilized 10/25/13, contains 106 posts and oddly enough is named All Things Pennsylvanian. Perhaps a moderator can merge these two threads.
lirr42 wrote: But the news that Amtrak brings, effective December 3rd, is that unreserved coach seating will be available between Harrisburg and Philadelphia on Pennsylvanian Trains 42 and 43. Passengers traveling between Harrisburg, Elizabethtown, Lancaster, Exton, Paoli and Philadelphia will no longer be required to make reservations for coach seating.

Just like the Keystones, you will still need a reservation for travel between Philadelphia and New York.

It's an interesting move on Amtrak/PennDOT's part and I would be interested to know the reasoning and any possible "future plans" that went into such a decision. The last time I rode the Pennsylvanian it was fairly well patronized, so it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes because of this.
I thought this was mentioned, but we were probably too busy discussing whether it would stop at Bala-Cynwyd now that it is unreserved. The bottom line is this is one of the conditions set for funding. The state wanted it unreserved so it is consistent with the rest of the corridor and anyone can hop on at any time. This train is handy for state workers who finish up work early and now they don't have to worry about needing a reservation.

There have been teething problems(as predicted), but they will work out eventually.
  by lirr42

My apologies, the search function still seems to be misbehaving since the forum's software was upgraded. At least when I search for things, it often turns up hundreds of results from the entire board, not just the thread or forum I actually want to search for, and it is difficult to check through each one. I also did not see a thread link for the Pennsylvanian in the README FIRST!: Amtrak Forum Popular Topics "sticky thread" at the top (which I did actually read first before posting) so perhaps the thread could be linked in there?
Last edited by lirr42 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by THIRD AVENUE EL

I also find the search function on these boards to be extremely difficult to use. I'm new here and everyone keeps saying to "use the search function" but I always get thousands of results from every forum that have little to do with what I'm searching for ...
  by David Benton

So if there's no seats left , and a person who has a reservation gets on at the same time as a person who does not have a reservation , who gets the last seat ?
  by Greg Moore

THIRD AVENUE EL wrote:I also find the search function on these boards to be extremely difficult to use. I'm new here and everyone keeps saying to "use the search function" but I always get thousands of results from every forum that have little to do with what I'm searching for ...
Unfortunately I have to agree. even the "Search this topic" will return results from other topics.
  by Suburban Station

David Benton wrote:So if there's no seats left , and a person who has a reservation gets on at the same time as a person who does not have a reservation , who gets the last seat ?
anyone who gets on Harrisburg east is unreserved. technically, if you buy a ticket to ny it's unreserved to philly and reserved to nyp. at some point they should probably go unreserved all the way to ny outside of rush hour