• Alco Century in Binghamton yard?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by alcoc420

Could someone identify the black locomotive west of the NYSW GP38 near the stadium. It was in the middle of the yard today, Saturday, around 1PM. I got only a glimpse of it as I went southbount over the bridge just east of the NYSW engine house. Cuts of cars made it impossible to see from the streets north and south of the yard.

In the short time I could see it, the engine looked like a PC C425: round cab roof, flat protruding radiator. The loco was facing east. There was a B-B GE Dash 8 at the east end of the yard, and two C-C GE Dash 8 or 9's at the west end. I am certain that what I saw was not an Alco, but I would like to know what I was looking at.

If anybody could confirm what was there I would appreciate it.

by DutchRailnut

next time get a reporting mark and or Number. a discription of a black locomotive won't get you any information as there are just to many.

by scottychaos

It must be (former) Adirondack Alco C-420 2064.
Originally Lehigh Valley 408, then D&H 408.
The unit left the Adirondack a few month ago, was bought by a private individual, and is going to the Southern Appalacia railroad museum in Knoxville Tennesee..
I heard that it might be leased to the Susquehanna for awhile, but that might just be a rumour..
and I just got a note from a Adirondack employee, and he said the unit was sitting in Binghamton..
but exactly *why* it is sitting in Binghamton we dont know..

here are some photos from last October:
http://www.trainweb.org/gggrs/LV408/LV408.html

if anyone knows more about what this engine is up to, I would like to know!! im trying to keep a close eye on her as one of the LV survivors..

thanks,
Scot

by trainfreak

If it was a high nose that could have been eigther the NYSW 3020 or 3022 both are black former BDLX high hoods.

by alcoc420

Scottychaos, thanks so much for the info. I was doubting my ability to ID locomotives on the fly. Not that I am so great at it, but I was wondering how I could confuse a Century with anything else. What I saw looked just like Jay Potter's photos of the front of C425's at Mingo Junction.

by rcbsd45

Unit will indeed be heading down south to Knoxville. It is owned by Vintage Locomotives, a TX based company and carries the "VLIX" reporting marks on the AEI tags attached to it. The locomotive is awaitng some minor repairs to pass the inspection by NS before they will accept the unit for shipment. when that takes place is anyone's guess, so stay tuned...

by scottychaos

Any updates from the Binghamton spotters?
is she still there?
thanks,
Scot

by thannon

The sentamentalist in me says that she should be fogging the Sayre yards instead....

Tom H>

by scottychaos

Tom,
I think I caught on film the last time a LV Alco ran through Sayre!
and possibly the last alco through Sayre period..
it was 1987, and for some reason the D&H was detouring through Sayre,
I dont remember why, but one day there was a train sitting in Sayre, with a D&H (LV) Alco C420 on the point! it was 407! :-D
I cant prove it, but its very likely that was the last time an Alco ran through Sayre..
Its possible the GP38AC's have run through Sayre several time with CR and maybe even recently with NS! (although only one is still running..)
very soon though, the U23B will be the last, and only, LV engine to ever visit Sayre...
unless Greg can get MORE! :wink:
hmmm..there are rumours of A&M retiring the C420's! :wink:
(sorry Greg, I know you have enough going on with the Uboat!)