• AEM7 or ACELA

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by li7039

are these good models or would the acela express be a better choice to buy

by Otto Vondrak

There is not much "better" about either one. Do you want to buy an AEM7 loco or an Acela trainset?

by pgengler

I agree with Otto that it depends on what you want. I recently bought a used Atlas AEM-7 and it runs great, and a few days ago I got to see the Bachmann Spectrum Acela Express set in action, and it also seemed like it ran really well (very nice handling around curves).
It really comes down to what you want.

by R143MAN

I like both models. If you want some more diverse operations, I would go with the AEM-7. But if you want the Acela Express, its fast. It all depends on what type of train you want.
Thanks.
Hope you find the train you want.

by AmtrakPhill629

It depends on what you want and what you like. They are both unique, the only difference between the two for me is with an AEM7 you can pull different trains. If you can't decide on which one to buy then buy both.

PS: Nice pic's R143MAN especially the one with the two acela's.

by green_elite_cab

hey i haven't seen amfleets with the northeast direct in model form yet, is that a decal?

i also reccomend buying the AEM-7, simply because its discontinued and you'll kill yourself later if you don't get a hold of one. i've bene hunting forever for a NJT ALP-44 ( i shy away from Ebay) and i regret not getting one while they where out. i also would have liked to buy the AEM-7, and it to is disappearing in the Amtrak Schemes, with only Septa and MARC remaining.

i own an Acela and you have to be really careful with it, the pantographs and draw bars are super delicate. i'm still searching for replacement parts, and i keep forgetting to call bachmann to order some.

Spectrum is pretty good, but atlas is better. i'm almost positive you'll be happier with the AEM-7 if you get it now, and wait to buy an Acela trainset later. you'd bee able to run different trains, not to mention the AEM-7 is like a christmas tree when it comes to lights, and has alot of deatails and what not, its just a good model.
  by acelaman

You can indeed find Walthers Amfleets in the NED scheme, I have several. Ebay is not such a bad place to look for things. I also model NJT and Amtrak and have purchased many items for both from there. Another good place to check would be a Greenberg show in your area if your really not into ebay. Good luck.

by green_elite_cab

yeah i'm heading to that greenberg show in Edison NJ this saturday. gonna try to get ther the first day because last tiem i came on sunday, and everything i needed was literaly sold out minutes before i got to it.....

by B&ABL256

I would take both but yea in N scale all we have is the acela
mike

by green_elite_cab

i think bachmann is makeing an N-scale HHP-8

by AmtrakPhill629

Does Atlas make spare parts for the AEM7? Are they planning on releasing the AEM7's again?

by mlrr

There are spare parts available via the Atlas Parts catalog on the Atlas webiste.

There appear to be no immediate plans to re-release the AEM7 as Atlas claims the market had been satisfied. If demand increases significantly, they can re-introduce the locomotive as they have the molds for them.

by AmtrakPhill629

I just purchased AEM7 #908 in Phase 3 used for $30 it had a little damage such as 3 missing grab itons and 2 missing mirrors. Besides that I think it is the best thing that I have purchased :-D . The performance is excellent and it is my first Electric Locomotive.

by AmtrakPhill629

I have an additional AEM7 in What is the best way to strip the shell so i can turn it into Phase 5.

by R143MAN

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:I have an additional AEM7 in What is the best way to strip the shell so i can turn it into Phase 5.
Paint thinner, goo- gone, Alchool 91%, etc.