• AEM7, and other Amtrak horns

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what type of horn is on the AEM-7, HHP-8 and Acela Express locomotives?

by gp40marc69

I think it might be a K5LA but the one thing I really want to know is what type of bell the AEM7s have. I really like it.

by ANDY117

Where are the horns on hte HHP's and Acela locos?

by Joe

On top, in the recessed roof. Probably horns facing each direction because of the double cabs. I think, because most of their other locos have them, that HHP8s and Acelas would have K5LAs. Dunno about AEM7s.

by free2rtmey

HHP-8s and Acelas have real locomotive bells. Alot of the NJ Transit Comet III an IV Cab Cars have them. Also some of the earlier Amtrak F40PH's had them. AEM-7s have electronic bells on all AC units except for #916. 916 retaines its original bell when first delivered. They are called DC-bells. Some of the AEM-7 bells sound like F40 Comet V and other locomotive bells. The horns that Acelas and HHP-8s have is called a hybrid k5la horn. All AEM-7s except for 906 and 914 have K5LAs. 906 and 914 have a horn called K5L. Its appearance is the same as a K5LA except it is canadian tuned.
Last edited by free2rtmey on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by amtrakhogger

I had the 939 the other night on 66 and it has new horns. It is nice to have a crisp, clear, and LOUD horn for a change versus some of these
horns that sound downright sick!