• Adirondack suspended starting 5/20/2024

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by west point

IMO legislation may be needed to get funds from both countries for the necessary improvements and to decrease schedule time. From what I have read VIA legislation need overhauling anyway.
  by Jeff Smith

Said agreement: TimesUnion.com
Amtrak, CN Railway reach deal on repairs for Montreal service
A settlement payment by Amtrak to CN Railway is expected to be used by the Canadian rail operator toward track work on its Rouses Point subdivision, according to the two rail services.

“This track work will help mitigate, but not eliminate heat slow order speed limits going forward,” Amtrak and CN Railway said in a joint statement Friday, referring to concerns about high temperatures affecting the tracks.
  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:21 am Said agreement: TimesUnion.com
A settlement payment by Amtrak to CN Railway is expected to be used by the Canadian rail operator toward track work on its Rouses Point subdivision, according to the two rail services.

“This track work will help mitigate, but not eliminate heat slow order speed limits going forward,” Amtrak and CN Railway said in a joint statement Friday, referring to concerns about high temperatures affecting the tracks.
As I said previously this is not the first time and it will not be the last. CN is the king of using the RSP as a means of extortion to get monies for repairs. To put it as blunt as possible CN has Amtrak by the short and ...
CN knows and so does Amtrak. You all can wish in one hand and sh!t in the other for another route it did not happen in the late 90s mid 00s or now.
  by ExCon90

In the link posted by ryanwc it states that CN will undertake to do the trackwork. Very useful word, undertake.
  by SRich

What i don't get, why Amtrak doesn't buy the right of way(or track and properties in EU language) if they are the only one using this railroad. They have their own track equipment, their own crews. Is just 100 miles. Upgrade it to 79/110 mph and keep it in good condition.
  by RandallW

SRich wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 pm

What i don't get, why Amtrak doesn't buy the right of way(or track and properties in EU language) if they are the only one using this railroad. They have their own track equipment, their own crews. Is just 100 miles. Upgrade it to 79/110 mph and keep it in good condition.
Amtrak needs some legislative body (either a State or the Federal Congress) to allocate funds for that.
  by Railjunkie

SRich wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 pm

Because the CN Rouses Point Subdivision, and its 40 ish miles in CANADA and that is were the problem lies.
  by NH2060

Service suspension extended through Sept. 9. That now makes 5 summers in a row without rail service north of Saratoga Springs.
A planned six-week shutdown of Amtrak’s Adirondack service through the North Country to Montreal for track modifications will stretch to nearly 18 weeks, with the first train not scheduled to operate along the full route until Sept. 9
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stor ... dirondacks
  by R36 Combine Coach

Any added Belmont service to Saratoga?
  by Engineer Spike

It’s promising that CN has agreed to perform the required track rehabilitation. Many have made the point of CN not having much obligation to repair the line, since they are a foreign company. One must remember that CN has extensive holdings in the U.S. If someone in our government had some brains and some balls, then something could be done. I’m sure CN bellies up to the table when federal grants are being issued. If someone in charge of the grants reminded CN about not playing ball with Amtrak, as well as the result being the denial of the grant, then things might change.
  by Railjunkie

NH2060 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:44 pm Service suspension extended through Sept. 9. That now makes 5 summers in a row without rail service north of Saratoga Springs.
A planned six-week shutdown of Amtrak’s Adirondack service through the North Country to Montreal for track modifications will stretch to nearly 18 weeks, with the first train not scheduled to operate along the full route until Sept. 9
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/stor ... dirondacks
Funny I work there with people who go to MTR and they keep track of this stuff. Did not hear a thing about it yesterday. I will say if it is true I am not surprised nor would any of my fellow raccoons.
  by Matt Johnson

When I took the Adirondack to Montreal way back in '06 that stretch of track north of the border was largely 50 mph. I understand that it was down to 30 before the suspension. 60 would be nice, anything above would probably be pointless, especially since any time gained is easily lost with the typical customs delays. Would I consider taking Amtrak to Montreal today? Not a chance - what is the advantage? If they can demonstrate some level of commitment to providing reliable continuous service, perhaps a business class seat would be worth it. It's a long trip for coach!

I have a couple of clips from the Adirondack in this video from when my brother and I took the train and met some friends who had driven up there. In '07 we went again and drove that time - I think that made it more like a 6 hour trip vs a 12 hour train ride!