• Adirondack Scenic Railroad rehab work

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by necnomad

This is for anyone who is interested in more information regarding this state owned/volunteer operated tourist line from Utica to Lake Placid. Rehabiliation work was just completed as of 12/04. Most of t he former NYC line originally constructed in the late 19th century remains today(although major trackwork is still needed to run on the entire right of way) hopefully with more state funding, that goal will become a reality.
www.adirondackrr.com

by Otto Vondrak

How much rehab work was done this season?

-otto-

by med-train

Otto, I sure do not know the whole story. I hope someone else will comment on this.

I was at Thendara back on Oct. 1 when a truck pulled in with a Tie replacement machine. I asked one of the crewmen who was guiding the rig into the lot from the road, 'If they were coming in for some track upgrade?' and he stated that they were scheduled to replace 11,000 ties.

by necnomad

Yup that's correct, about 11000 ties were changed from forestport to Thendara. Other work consisted of rebuilding Big Moose grade crossing approximatly 12 miles to the north. A culvert was replaced on the non operational segment about 25 miles north of Thendara. About 1000 feet of track was replaced at Lake Placid depot. Hopefully more funds will be released in the future so the connection can be completed to Lake Placid

by joshuahouse

About how many miles of track is eleven thousand ties?

by necnomad

The 11000 ties were distributed over 22 miles of track with approx 500 ties/mile. Ties were replaced on an as necessary basis by the ASRR's track supervisor. For comparison, there are approx 3500/ties in one mile of track when spaced at 30" center on center

by SimTrains

Every year my family and I rent a cottage just outside of Old Forge, this past year while on our annual trip I decided to follow the ROW as far as I could. I found that I could probably follow right up to Lake Placid, so I decided to stop at the first interesting thing I found. About 12 miles out I came across a restaurant, converted from a train depot. My girlfriend and I were hungry, so she went in and got a table, and ordered drinks, while I explored :wink:.... Around back I found that this leg of the line was double track. Probably just for the depot. On the far track I found an old tank car, an old MOW car, and an even older coach of some type.

This is litteraly where the line ends...For Now. The white signs warn against trespassing on the Adirondack Railroad property.

Here is Big Moose Station, converted to a restaurant. There are actually a ton of artifacts, and information inside. I defenetly recomend checking it out!

The coach I mentioned above. No lettering showing through the paint, so I don't know the heritage. Probably being stored here untile it can be used by the railroad. Anybody know the heritage?

Back at Thendara, some critters sit off to the side of the freight depot.

If I ever inherit Bill Gates's fortune, I would buy a fleet of these, and decorate them exactly as this one is. I love that old NYC paint scheme. I learned later that this unit is actually ex Amtrak. Ohhhh Wellllll.

Finally, An excursion was leaving in a few minutes, and I have yet to get a shot of a train at the station. I love this one because it includes the old signal in it.

by Aji-tater

Better get some new batteries for your calculator. If you were to install ties on 30 inch centers (which nobody would do) you would have about 2112 ties per mile, not 3500. Specifications vary, but a spacing of about 20 to 22 inches is closer actual practice.

by charlie6017

"Back at Thendara, some critters sit off to the side of the freight depot. "

I would LOVE to have a couple of those!
  by b&m617

If you are looking for a track car, email me at [email protected]; I get them occasionallly. thanks.

work safe
Derail

by NYSW3614

The NYC RS3 is legit ex NYC. The first one they ever bought in fact. Anyone know when they expect to run to Big Moose on regular basis?
  by Schooltrain

How about a big "thanks" to Sim Trains for sharing the great photography with us? :P

by necnomad

In response to NYSW3614's comment about running to big moose. Depending on when more funding will be available from the state it could be several years before track is restored there, but that's being optimistic. However with the complete rehab of the crossing and with a future installation of gates and flashers, trains to Big Moose in my opinion, will eventually be running.
  by blocktruck

Here's what was done on the Adirondack:

Lake Placid station got 70, 80, and 90 pound rail replaced with 105 lb.

New culverts were installed at Partlow.

The grade crossing at Big Moose got welded rail (115 or 127 LB I think), new ties throughout, some drainage in the immediate area of the highway, and conduit to facilitate future installation of automatic crossing protection.

LOTS of new ties went in between Thendara and Remsen. Ceratinly 11,000 doesn't sound too high. (Gents, that's sixty mile an hour track between Thendara and Remsen.)

Scour protection was installed on the upstream side of bridge piers where the RR crosses the Moose River at McKeever.

by Otto Vondrak

What are the track speeds on the Adirondack Scenic now?

-otto-