• Adirondack Rail Corridor Under the Gun

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by tree68

My apologies if anyone is offended by a NY related post on the PA forum, but many of you have ridden, or are familiar with the line and can offer significant comments.

A small, but very determined, group of people is making a concerted effort to have the rails of the former NYC Adirondack Division lifted north of Big Moose. They claim that a recreational trail will bring in thousands of people to hike the 60+ miles through the Adirondack wildnerness. It should be noted that this includes areas with extremely limited to no cell phone service, amenities, or emergency services.

While they present the trail as their goal, there are those who question their motives.

The tracks are in place on the entire corridor. The track is out of service between Big Moose and Saranac Lake. Improvements to make it passenger-ready will run between $15M and $40M, depending on the desired speeds.

The rail line is listed on state and national historic registers.

I don't expect anyone to travel to the hearings, so I won't post the times and locations, but it is possible to send in written comments:

Written comments may be submitted by Sept. 25 to

via e-mail to: [email protected],

faxed to: 518-457-3183,

or mailed to: Raymond F. Hessinger, Director, Freight & Passenger Rail Bureau, NYS Department of Transportation, 50 Wolf Road, POD 54, Albany, NY 12232.

I would opine that the comments that will be given the most weight are those which detail heritage, economic, and social benefits. Comments about existing trails (and their shortfalls? Hint, hint.) would also be valuable.

A "foaming" approach probably won't be as effective (ie, "I love trains, you can't take away the trains!")

Take a little time and craft a well-written document, without emotion and with facts. If it's your opinion, say so (there's no shame in that).

But most important is the need to get lots of positive comments about retaining the railroad through the Adirondacks. And that includes one from you.
  by FLRailFan1

tree68 wrote:My apologies if anyone is offended by a NY related post on the PA forum, but many of you have ridden, or are familiar with the line and can offer significant comments.

A small, but very determined, group of people is making a concerted effort to have the rails of the former NYC Adirondack Division lifted north of Big Moose. They claim that a recreational trail will bring in thousands of people to hike the 60+ miles through the Adirondack wildnerness. It should be noted that this includes areas with extremely limited to no cell phone service, amenities, or emergency services.

While they present the trail as their goal, there are those who question their motives.

The tracks are in place on the entire corridor. The track is out of service between Big Moose and Saranac Lake. Improvements to make it passenger-ready will run between $15M and $40M, depending on the desired speeds.

The rail line is listed on state and national historic registers.

I don't expect anyone to travel to the hearings, so I won't post the times and locations, but it is possible to send in written comments:

Written comments may be submitted by Sept. 25 to

via e-mail to: [email protected],

faxed to: 518-457-3183,

or mailed to: Raymond F. Hessinger, Director, Freight & Passenger Rail Bureau, NYS Department of Transportation, 50 Wolf Road, POD 54, Albany, NY 12232.

I would opine that the comments that will be given the most weight are those which detail heritage, economic, and social benefits. Comments about existing trails (and their shortfalls? Hint, hint.) would also be valuable.

A "foaming" approach probably won't be as effective (ie, "I love trains, you can't take away the trains!")

Take a little time and craft a well-written document, without emotion and with facts. If it's your opinion, say so (there's no shame in that).

But most important is the need to get lots of positive comments about retaining the railroad through the Adirondacks. And that includes one from you.
What is the status on this?