• Active rail lines in Northern Maine

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Trains

I'm wondering what rail lines are currently active in rural Maine. According to my copy of the Maine Atlas and Gazetteer there is a line that runs accross the northern half of the state that is owned by the Canadian American Railroad. An older map (probably from the '50's labels it as the Canadian Pacific Railroad. What has happened with this line? How many trains per day does it see? I'm aware the Calais branch is no longer in operation and I understand it is becoming a rail-trail (something I see as a terrible waste). What other lines operate in the Downeast sections of Maine (if any)? I've been out as far as Machias and have only seen the Calais branch.

Any information about active railroads in Maine would be interesting.

by Ron Newman

That line still had Canadian VIA Rail passenger service, with 3 or 4 stops in Maine, until about 10-15 years ago.

by shadyjay

The east-west ex-Canadian American/exx-Canadian Pacific line across Maine is now operated by the Montreal Maine & Atlantic (west of Brownville Jct to Montreal) and by the Eastern Maine Railway/New Brunswick Southern to the east. There is at least 2 trains a day I believe on this line, but no more VIA. That service stopped before CP sold the line.

MMA also operates the ex-Bangor & Aroostook lines from Searsport, north through Northern Maine Jct (east of Bangor), past Brownville, all the way up to Millinocket and eventually to Madawaska.

-Jay H.

by Cowford

An interesting fact about the old CP line is that it was reputed to be the busiest single track line in the country during WW II (feeding export to St. John, NB). How time changes things...