• ACSES, Any Updated News?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Do any railroad employees for Amtrak know if ACSES will be activated again soon? i miss the Acela's at 150 :(

by hsr_fan

I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, but I can tell you that when I rode aboard the Acela a couple of weeks ago the ACSES was still active south of Providence. Between Kingston and Providence we got up to 150+! Unfortunately, we were held to 110 between Providence and Rt. 128. I'd like to see them back up to 150 there soon!

by AmtrakFan

What does ACSES stand for?

AmtrakFan

by Irish Chieftain

You coulda looked it up...but it stands for "Advanced (Amtrak?) Civil Speed Enforcement System".

by jwhite07

I understand that sometime next week at the earliest, ACSES will be turned back on. Also coming soon is a general overall increase in civil speeds, including increasing 150mph territory from the current 18 miles to over 30 miles. I do not have specific details yet.
  by Gilbert B Norman

This may be somewhat Tokyo Raid in nature, but I would think it would be in Amtrak's interest to upgrade a segment of the PRR to 150mph authorized speed.

After all, that is where the bodies are; even the most avid New Haven fan out there must acknowledge that (even though "we" al know the Merchants was a superior train to the "Congo").

Lastly, for those tuning in late or not tuned in at all to the History Channel, the Tokyo Raid was a May 1942 bombing mission using aircraft carrier launched land bombers against Tokyo. Suffice to say far more psychological damage resulted to the Japanese than military from what even the planners acknowledged was a "stunt".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by hsr_fan

Cool, I hope you're right about the increase in speeds! :)

Regarding the southern portion of the NEC, the stretch from New Brunswick, NJ through Princeton Junction and into Trenton is perfect for 150+ mph running. If Amtrak can't afford constant tension catenary for the entire former PRR, I'd at least like to see it installed on that one stretch!

During early Acela test runs, they routinely hit 160+ mph in the Princeton Junction area, but I guess they don't feel the variable tension catenary can support such speeds on a routine basis. But hey, 135 mph ain't too bad!

by CSX Conductor

New Summary Bulletin effective Monday came out tonight. It stated that A.C.S.E.S. will remain suspended between Cove interlocking and Cranston. :wink:

by DutchRailnut

A.C.S.E.S is still in operation every were else on the Boston > New York section right, except for MNCR were only Cabs/ATC exist.

by hsr_fan

ACSES was still in operation between Kingston and Providence, RI a couple of weeks ago, as my Acela hit 150+ mph on that stretch.

by CSX Conductor

I don't believe the ACSES suspension is a valid reason for being limited to speeds less than 150. I mentioned that in an earlier post, but just suggested that as a possiblity.

The first section in which ACSES was suspended was Cove Interlocking(Boston) to Cranston Interlocking (Cranston RI). there were a few sections suspended west of Cranston over the following weeks.

According to the most recent Bulletins and Summaries, ACSES is still suspended until further notice between Cove and Cranston. It ws never re-activated in the mean-time, that is why I believe that ACSES had no reason for the speed restrictions we had discussed previously.

by hsr_fan

I think it probably is the reason. I remember reading that trains are held to 110 mph max, at least in Massachussetts, when ACSES is inoperative.

by CSX Conductor

will grab my timetable a bit later to review.....unfortunately on freights we are stuck at a max of 30MPH on Amtrak :(

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

darn, i want that activated soon

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

any new updates on the ACSES? Bulletins?