Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Noel Weaver

Penn Central wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:"Dutch", thanks for that interesting reply. Seems there is more history after history.
The ACMUs have been running nearly every day. They had three trains sets running one day last week. The bottom line is that the cars have all been sold for scrap, so they will all be gone by 2006.

I was on the head end of the excursion leaving GCT. I'm glad everyone had a good time. M-N is open to suggestions for the next trip. Any ideas??
The 1100's will likely continue to run from time to time until they drop,
most likely when enough new cars are running in a dependable nature and
if the M-1's are not totally falling apart in the meantime.
Likely the 1100's last trip will never be known until after it has already
occurred.
1100's = ACMU. same difference.
Noel Weaver

by 7 Train

This post is in tribute to the ACMU, 1963-2005. The last NYC MU units. You will be missed.

I'm wondering-differences between LIRR P72/75s and MNR/PC/NYC ACMU 1100s?

by Penn Central

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I wouldn't mind MN running an excursion up to Pittsfield via the Houstatonic main and the Hudson Line assuming that there is a direct connection from the beacon line to the houstatonic line. It might be impossible to run via the Danbury because there is no direct connection from MN.
With the exception of State Line to Danbury, where Metro-North has trackage rights, there is a problem running trains on other railroads. Insurance. It's been discussed. It might not be an impossible barrier to running GCT-Rennsalear or north on the Housatonic, but it is a big problem right now. Any ideas for something new on Metro-North? How about a trip to Wassaic or Waterbury, or both? Post your ideas here and the people who can make it happen will see them.

To clarify something for Noel with the ACMUs, its not a case of running the cars until they drop. In fact, they run pretty darn well right now especially in the snow, but a case of a contract to dispose of them. All cars must be turned over by 2006, including some of the M-1s. Contracts can always be changed, but with 300 M-7s on their way, it is unlikely that any ACMUs will be seen after that date.

Noel was one of the NH Line engineers who showed me how to run a GG like my avatar to the left.

by njtmnrrbuff

The possibility of fan trips are not easy, but I'm sure something would get done involving rare trackage. I have ridden the entire MN system end to end. Metro North is nice about trying to run fan trips. Transit, on the other hand, should do that. Some of them still don't get the picture of railfans.