• Acela Express cafe car

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

On the other cars people sit next to windows, on the Cafe car people stand near the windows so they were put higher for safety reasons ?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

that sounds like the reason for the window's being higher
  by jp1822

The Acela Express Cafe cars are not the most comfortable place to eat - far cry from the Amfleet cafe cars with table seating. Although the larger windows on the Acela Express is nice. I think the idea is - eat or drink quick and return to your seat. Or bring your food back to your seat. I think they used a European design for the Cafe cars - not my favorite part of the Acela Express trainsets. I do have praisde for the First Class Service. 8 times out of 10, I've had great service there. Been trying to use up some "upgrade coupons" before they expire in February 2005 so in my jaunts to Boston or DC, I've been travelling in "style."

by DutchRailnut

Your right the Acela expess Cafe car was derived from the ICE Bord car. and yes its not a dinning car, but designed for all passengers, not for a few that linger and occupy the car for the trip.

by hsr_fan

Indeed, when I traveled aboard the ICE 3, the cafe car reminded me of that on the Acela Express! I think the ICE 1 and ICE 2 have table seating.
  by dumpster.penguin

The higher windows are very nice for the people standing in line. On other Amtrak trains, people over four feet tall who are standing in line, commonly up to 45 minutes during peak season, get no view at all unless they kneel or stoop, which may worry the passengers seated at the nearest table, and exacerbate spinal disorders in frequent travelers.
  by Tom Curtin

Often when I have been on an Acela express at "the end of the business day" (most recently last week) I see in the cafe a gang of businesspeople standing around socializing with drinks, much in the style of a commuter bar car. It's kind of a nice sight, actually -- although I far preferred the Amdinettes and believe the designs of the Cafe Acela and "Bistro" cars stink by comparison. Anyway, perhaps in anticipation of this stand-up socializing they installed the higher windows.

by Gilbert B Norman

Great to learn that, Mr. Curtin.

Kind of sounds like the VXIGBC back on "our" road where I was a regular Summer 1965.

Regarding the tables in the Amdinette and their absence in the Acela, we have noted here that folks, many simply acting in good faith, would set up shop for the duration ordering from the Cafe maybe a cup of coffee.

Tables are now a limited item with I think only one per each car, or five per Acela set. I've wondered if Amtrak could sell 'em for a premium over regular Coach (whoops, Business Class).
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by FatNoah

Personally, I like the fact that the Acela Express Cafe does not resemble the "rolling hostel" that the Amfleet cafes tend to become. It's nice to not fight with the trolls who unpack their bags and take over the whole cafe so there's no place to sit. (Now, there are many people who spend the duration of their trips in the cafe and are very polite and make room for those wishing to dine...and it's not these people that bother me).

by hsr_fan

FatNoah wrote:Personally, I like the fact that the Acela Express Cafe does not resemble the "rolling hostel" that the Amfleet cafes tend to become.
I tend to agree. I've always had mixed feelings about the layout of the Acela cafe car. In Germany, I believe that many were less than thrilled with the elimination of the "restaurant cars" on the third generation ICE. It's a similar situation, and I can see the arguments both pro and con.

by Robert Paniagua

I like the Acela Express "Bar Car" ( I call it that fancy monniker) windows a bit higher, so when I stand in line, I like to see out the window when waiting and see the scenery roll along.

Robert Paniagua