• Accommodation near MBTA station query

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by njtmnrrbuff

Bear in mind that the Fitchburg Line, as with many of the commuter rail routes, don't run very frequently especially on weekends. If you want to stay in Leominster, you might also want to consider using the Worcester Line which runs a little more frequently(service almost every two hours on weekends). You might even want to look closer to Worcester.
  by CRail

With the amount of time and money you'd be spending on commuting to your vacation, I'd say you're better off finding a deal in town, even if it's more than $100.
  by pwormald

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, it's given us a few ideas! We plan to do quite a bit of riding MBTA, but it's a real nuisance they don't do a weekly season ticket option like a lot of other commuter networks across USA, apparently it was written down (quite a while ago) Railroad workers go free? We just like riding trains and plan to ride each route at least once
  by CRail

Should a professional courtesy be extended to you, it is between you and the person extending it. No such policy exists.
  by octr202

A few stations north and west (subway) with nearby hotels, but outside the Boston/Cambridge "in-town" areas include:

Alewife (Red Line) - AC Hotel by Marriott, Freepoint, and Homewood Suites all within a 15-20 minute walk.

Sullivan (Orange Line) - Holiday Inn on Washington Street

Assembly (Orange) - La Quinta

Wellington (Orange) - AC Hotel (Marriott) at Station Landing

There are also several hotels on O'Brien Highway (Route 28) a few blocks from Lechmere on the Green Line (Fairfield, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn) in East Cambridge - these are sometimes slightly cheaper (though often not).

Those are a few of the places I'd check if I'm looking to stay a little outside of the downtown-ish areas but still have access to the subway.

I can't stress enough to any visitors from overseas that our commuter rail system is very, very limited off-peak and weekends. If you plan to use it, you need to plan your day around its schedule, not vice-versa. Most lines have very few round trips (6-8 total) on weekends. The best weekend frequencies are usually about once every two hours on the "good" lines!
  by Rbts Stn

That Motel 6 had a shooting (or was it a stabbing?) at it in the past few weeks.

Brookline and Newton have many options. They won't be cheap, but Boston hotel prices are similar to NYC prices, I'm afraid.
  by bulleit

Check out a motel near the North Beverly station:

Beverly Garden Suites
5 Lakeview Av
Beverly MA 01915
  by pwormald

bulleit wrote:Check out a motel near the North Beverly station:
Beverly Garden Suites
5 Lakeview Av
Beverly MA 01915
THANKS, that looks as if it could be perfect, have sent them a mail :)
  by deathtopumpkins

Probably beating a dead horse at this point, but if you stay in North Beverly, keep in mind that there are only 6 trains a day on weekends.
  by jonnhrr

There is a Holiday Inn on Beacon St. near St. Paul St. (on the Green Line C branch) that advertises $116 a night. Check out TripAdvisor or booking.com you might find some deals.

Jon
  by njtmnrrbuff

I know that you are traveling to Boston in October and hopefully this railroad project will be finished then. The Beverly drawbridge that carries MBTA's joint Newburyport and Rockport Lines will be replaced I think before the Fall. Weekend train service for a lot of the summer will be truncated above Salem. You never know with railroads but if the project isn't finished by Labor Day and the service outages will have to continue well into the Fall, you will have to get off in Salem.