• ABC Flatcars at Medfield Junction

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Pyroechidna1

Hello folks,

Back in 2006 I was passing by Medfield Junction when I found, to my great surprise, a large number of articulated bulk container flatcars sitting on the east siding. The cars were marked GIMX and ESDX, and the containers were stenciled "Leased to Leticia Inc.", which I gather is a New Jersey company that does things like remove contaminated soil.

Here's the line of them:
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 1_2636.jpg

Smaller numbers of them appeared moving to and from the junction for a while after that, but in the two years since I have seen no further sign of them. So, my fellow Boston railfans: Who knows what the deal was?

Thanks in advance.
  by consist

Not sure if you want to hear educated guesses, but those type of containers are typically used to haul contaminated dirt or other waste away from toxic cleanup sites. My foggy brain wants to say there was some kind of cleanup at Otis AFB a couple years back. Whatever the project was I'm sure it was a one-time thing based on my knowledge of those containers. They don't look placarded properly to be hazmats in your photo, but the three most common substances seen in those containers are 2212 (asbestos), 2315 (PCBs), or 3077 (environmentally hazardous solids n.o.s.), usually in the form of dirt contaminated with whatever is indicated.