• Abandoning the former BR&P through Orchard Park

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by pablo

I suspect the difference is that it's for cars, which is absurd.

Methinks we have some smart NIMBYs up in yonder OP, but I already knew that.

Dave Becker
  by erie2937

According to the Buffalo News today the State of New York is looking at a $14 billion budget deficit. As a homeowner and taxpayer in this state I do not want the state to do anything that will add even one penny to my already outrageously-high tax bill. I therefore will urge the state to do whatever will cost the VERY least with that long out-of-service rail line. Any action on that line by the state or by local or county government that requires the expenditure of taxpayers money will be irresponsible, in my view.
  by pablo

Sadly, I agree that the state should not spend a dime here.

The previous NIMBY, though, is being both a bit disingenious with the premise of the argument, and taking advantageous of just the budget that we're talking about here.

However, sadly, this line has been on borrowed time for a while. Most debts are coming due these days.

Dave Becker
  by BR&P

Town Mayor Wilson wants to see a frieght line come back
Don't we all! Likewise steam engines, wooden cabooses, a depot in every town, etc. They all have an equal chance of actually happening.
  by MarkT

Lets be real. That line is NEVER coming back. And your taxes aren't going down either, the state will spend that $4m one way or another. So you might as well take advantage of that and have some NYS tax money spent on something you will actually use. I for one would enjoy a bike ride down the length of that trail. Look how popular the rail to trail in the nearby town of Clarence is, or Pendleton too. Sorry OP, but maybe your town will have to open up
  by SST

Several years ago, while taking my dog to the vet, I would drive down 240 to follow the track. Do I recall a restaurant just north of Colden sitting right next to the row? I think they paved over the crossing. Woulldn't the restaurant enjoy the potential increase in costomers? I know I would stop there. Assuming that I was in shape enough to even make it that far.

Could somebody in Orchard Park request that the rails at and near the station remain for "historical pursposes?"
  by pablo

I suspect the rails that would be lifted would be south of the station and beyond, but that is just a guess I have.

Dave Becker
  by nessman

I think what a lot of you guys are forgetting here is the ROW is still private property owned by GWI.

What they do with it is really up to them. The state can't just come in and turn it into a trail - not without going through eminent domain proceedings unless they deed it to the state. The line does have value in terms of scrap (rails, spikes, plates, relay ties, etc...), reuse as a utility right-of-way, etc. It could be sold off in pieces to private individuals, adjoining landowners, utilities, etc.

Many old ROW's are barely recognizable as former railroads that have become overgrown with brush over the years so it's not an automatic assumption that it'll become a rail-trail. Trails take years to plan and develop.

As an example, the Conrail Falls Road Branch between Rochester and Brockport was salvaged 15 years ago and not a thing has changed... all the structures are still in place, the ballast is still there. In fact CSX still owns all 12 miles of it and there's been very little noise in terms of solid plans for reusing it.
  by SST

Slightly off line but not subject, I do recall walking the Peanut Line in Clarence Center near Kraus Rd before they extended the trail. It was heavily overgrown but the ballast was still there and the ties too. Man were they rotted! Not only were trees growing between the ties but were growing through the ties. Now it's just a baseball field. When was the last train on the Peanut?

I have ridden the Peanut and the WS trails several times but not a lot. If I lived in the immediate area of either trail I would probably ride and xc ski them considerably. If the BR&P gets a trail conversion, I will likely ride and ski it a few times. One advantage the BR&P has over the WS and Peanut is its scenery. It is a much more scenic line than the other two. The Peanut and WS are relatively flat and straight where the BR&P is more curvy and hilly.
  by MarkT

SST wrote: If the BR&P gets a trail conversion, I will likely ride and ski it a few times. One advantage the BR&P has over the WS and Peanut is its scenery. It is a much more scenic line than the other two. The Peanut and WS are relatively flat and straight where the BR&P is more curvy and hilly.
It would be a great ride.

Pizza Glen in Colden paved over the rails
  by SST

My dad just sent me a news clipping from the East Aurora Advertiser. I tried to get a link to post here but they want a subscription to get the article. So, I'll have to post it "manually."

Basically they reference people trying to block the trail and compare it to people trying to block the BR&P from building a new station where the original was in West Falls.

The article states the original station in West Falls was built in the 1880's. In 1915 the station was destroyed by a fire. The BR&P was going to rebuild it at the original site. But a few residents didn't like that. They wanted it moved some 1500 feet down the line with road improvements. After several years of complaints to the NYS Public Service Commision, the commision finally ruled in favor of the BR&P and rebuilt it at its original location.

Seems to me there will always be someone or somebodies to block a cause for something. Look at what's happening at the Adirondack Scenic RR.
  by MarkT

SST wrote:Seems to me there will always be someone or somebodies to block a cause for something.
Bunch of NIMBY's!!! :-D
  by SST

Those are great pictures. They confirm what I've seen from the air for the past couple of years. The rails are hanging in the air. But that is on the West Valley side of the creek. The trail in discussion is on the north side of the creek. No reported slides north of Springville that I'm aware of.

I believe that the new 219 is having troubles due to quick sand in the same area. Can't wait to be driving down the expressway to Holiday Valley and suddenly get swallowed up as the roadway caves in. Bless those politicians for building a road that's not needed.