• Abandoned ROW's North of Boston (for the millionth time)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NERailfan

Hey guys..... This forum thing is kinda cool! Looks like I'm gonna have some fun with the Emoticons :lol: (LOL)!
Well, is there anything new out there relating to this topic?
  by citystation1848

A report on some of the lost rail lines of New Hampshire that I've explored.... about a week ago I spent the morning in Derry looking over the right of way north of the station.... I forget the street names, but it was between where my father works at Bedford Drywall (metal culvert marks right of way under road) to the abandoned brige near A Street? Eventually I'll have these photos posted somewhere. Another line I spent the day on was the Uncanoonuc Incline Railway. Me and my friend Joe went up and down the mountain and found plenty of remains to call for another trip in the spring. We only covered the incline itself, not the branch that came off the Manchester Street Railway.

That's all for now!
Matt

Uncanoonuc Photos:
http://www.nashuacitystation.com/street ... oonuc.html
  by Guest

Nice new format, wonder if we'll ever be able to insert pictures with messages. (?)
  by steveh

Not so north but rather west of Boston, I have a question about an abandoned looking line in Waltham, MA.

Driving along (Waverly Oaks Rd.?) I noticed what appeared to be a good sized wooden trestle off in the woods. A branch I suppose, but where did it go? Thanks.
Last edited by steveh on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

by FatNoah

I have a question about an abandoned looking line in Waltham, MA.
That's probably the Central Mass. line. It travels through Waltham and crosses 128 in between the Route 20 overpasses and the Rt. 117 overpass. It travels along what is now the Rt. 20 corridor.
  by citystation1848

Greetings Everyone!

I'd like to announce this year's spring bike ride is going to be on the Nashua River Rail Trail, part of the old Worcester & Nashua Railroad. It will be on Sunday May 2 at 10:30 am, starting in Ayer, Mass. If you have any questions about the trail, don't hesitate to email me.

Photos of the trail:
http://www.nashuacitystation.com/railro ... trail.html

Nashua River Rail Trail Website:
http://www.state.ma.us/dem/parks/nash.htm

Matt Cosgro
Nashua City Station
http://www.nashuacitystation.com
  by SPUI

Anonymous wrote:Nice new format, wonder if we'll ever be able to insert pictures with messages. (?)
It can be done if you have the picture hosted elsewhere.
  by Cosmo

SPUI:
Could you please repost the link to the SNE/NY&NE stuff on the (ressurected) NYNE/CNE etc site!?!??!
I'd muchly appreciate it !
Thanks,
Cosmo
:wink:

by SPUI

I don't think I know what you're talking about. My site has some SNE photos and maps, but nothing on the CNE. It's at http://web.mit.edu/spui/www/rr/sne.html.
  by Cosmo

SPUI:
I AM talking about the SNE stuff! You posted a link to it on the previously mentioned "NY&NE, etc." forum. Since we start over from scratch, I was hoping for a link or something, since it was right up the alley of that forum, and 'cause there were shots of NY&NE stuff too, (since that's the area they all came together.)

by bigbronco85

Hey good to see the forum's back, I can't believe it took me so long to find it!
I saw a interesting ROW around Berlin and Hudson MA, Route 62 area. There were ties and rail in places, while other parts were totally washed out or removed. There was a street in Hudson that had been put on the ROW for a bit. Was this the Mass. Central? If not what is it? There was a part in Berlin where a long gone bridge had carried it over a river and a still active line.
Interesting the stuff you find just driving around pointlessly! I saw a lot of abandoned grade crossings and stuff on that trip in the Stow area, forget which town exactly.
Matt
  by Ed Canney

Big Bronco: good to see you back and that your'e still exploring around MA. Anything going on with the Saugus Branch? I was in the Linden Sq section recently and it looked like they been installing something on the ROW as it been cleared of weeds, bushes, etc..
  by NERailfan

Hey welcome back Matt...
I totally thought this topic flatlined! Scott & I have been out doing a lot of stuff. We've been up to Hampton Falls at the end of Depot Rd a few times. You can drive on the ROW when the tide is out. Rails are suspended in mid air!!!

Lisa :D

by eriemike

Hey BigBronco, why do you have a Chevy Suburban instead of a Ford Bronco for an image :D

On another thread I posted my discovery of the the Pepperell and Brookline branch that came up from Ayer and ended at Milford, NH. It is a Fitchburg RR built line. Have any of you explored this line beyond Pepperell?

Also, have any of you explored the Acton & Nashua? (or is it the Nashua & Acton?) I know that this line went out very early and almost ran parallel to the New Haven's line to Lowell. Another redundant ROW.

by bigbronco85

It's a GMC!!! :D
I have a Suburban like it but I figured that most ppl on here know me as bigbronco so I re-registered under that handle, hehe.

I have no idea what is going on on the Saugus Branch, but there is a lot of activity. There used to be this big thing, like rails that branched off on a siding that went up a small incline/ramp about 6 feet off the ground. It was real old and had a weeping willow on TOP of it! the whole lot that it was in was heavily overgrown. Well now that whole site is totally getting developed and that rail thing is gone, I hope some people went to see it when I was mentioning it! In Malden Square, the city is screwing it all up, they put metered and/or permit parking on the ROW all the way from slightly West of Main St. to behind Grossmans. In Linden SQuare they cleared everything out but I think that was utility work.

I went on a long drive up around southern middle NH yesterday, what an interesting trip from a RR ROW standpoint. LOTS of abandoned RRs! I follwed the Wilton Scenic RR Line up to the Greenfield(?) State Park and then went over to Jaffrey and down back into MA through Winchendon and Ashburnham, etc. I saw some RR stuff in Groton too.
Along route 12 in the Ashburnham area there was a LONG abandoned ROW running next to it for quite a distance, some places still had ties while some were nothing more than a washboard trail that was no wider than a dirtbike. What the hell is that?
The ROW in Berlin I mentioned I think was the MA central, but the part in Hudson I saw with the street on it now was another branch line to Marlboro I guess. I think a bike path is being put on it.
Laters