• Abandoned roads in Bingo Land

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by uhaul

When I was bombing around Bingo Land back in August and searching for that E-unit I noticed a fair amount of abandoned roads near the railyards. At least one was paved, but the rest were dirt or else really old pavement. One was where, after awhile, you went under the Interstate and could drive right up to the tracks if you carefully drove your car between the overpass supports. All but one of these "roads" looked too risky to drive a car that was not your's on so I walked about 100 feet up the rest. Can somebody tell me anything about these roads or is this too off topic to be discussing here?
http://www.techscribes.com/sarm/srm_6913.htm
Sputnik 1 50th Anniversary
10/4/57-10/4/07

by ANDY117

Sounds like the old YO yards north of town, as well as the old Syracuse main.

by calorosome

Sounds like you were driving next to the remnants of the DL&W north yard on the former Syracuse branch. The sole remaining track is a dead end, the rails and bridge pulled up in the 90s. The Syracuse branch is now reached via new connection track via the old D&H rails. The access roads were typical vehicle access for the yards, I'd be careful of anything that can puncture tires.

If you venture to the other side of the tracks near Bevier St south of the interstate, you might find the foundation of the D&H roundhouse which stood at least into the 80s. I still remember that roundhouse back in the D&H days. Not the steam days, I'm not *that* old (or that lucky...?)

by NYSW3614

Actually the D&H roundhouse burned in the 70s, back in the Dereco days I believe because there was an EL switcher that got burned to a cinder along with a D&H unit. There's photos available somewhere. The turntable itself survived much longer, maybe until 1990? I'd like to know more about the fate of the table and see more photos of the roundhouse.

by calorosome

My error, I never heard about the roundhouse fire. But I'm sure at least the turntable was gone and the pit was filled in by the 80s.

Now a REAL excavation would be finding the foundation of the roundhouse in Hallstead, which apparently is still there...

by scottychaos

Anyone know when the Bevier street turntable bridge was removed and the pit was filled in?

Im sure the bridge was still there, and the pit not filled in, around 1986, because I photographed it then..(I dont believe it was still in use them though)..I imagine it was filled in sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, but dont know for sure..

thanks,
Scot

by NYSW3614

Could you share your photos Scot? I remember seeing it as a little kid from the highway. It probably got scrapped instead of saved for a use somewhere else, a dang shame and incredibly ironic because CPR built a brand new one soon after!

Joshua

by scottychaos

NYSW3614 wrote:Could you share your photos Scot? I remember seeing it as a little kid from the highway. It probably got scrapped instead of saved for a use somewhere else, a dang shame and incredibly ironic because CPR built a brand new one soon after!

Joshua
Joshua,
I will see if I can dig them up!
unfortunately I have not done a great job of cataloging all my photos from the 80's..
I have them all!
but in the form of photo albums currently stored at the Sayre Historical Society, and I have at home all my negatives in boxes sorted by year..
so specific pics are hard to find..but I will see what I can do!

Scot

by bingdude

NYSW3614 wrote:Actually the D&H roundhouse burned in the 70s, back in the Dereco days I believe because there was an EL switcher that got burned to a cinder along with a D&H unit. There's photos available somewhere. The turntable itself survived much longer, maybe until 1990? I'd like to know more about the fate of the table and see more photos of the roundhouse.
It was around 1974 (post DERECO). Two locos were burned-- A U33C and an SW-9. The article in the PRESS at the time said they were worth $600 each, which I find hard to believe.

Here's a link to some pix on Fallenflags:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh-rh-fire-as.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh-u33-fds.jpg

by uhaul

Maybe after they burned they were worth $600, but let us get back to discussing those abandoned roads.

Go Red Sox
  by march hare

Pretty sure the fire was in the spring of 1973. I can fix the date because I shot a slide of the toasted switcher from the window of a High Iron Co fan trip that ran on Memorial Day Weekend, Hoboken to Bingo and return.

Trip was behind Ross Rowland's Reading 4-8-4 temporarily dressed up as D&H 302 for the sesquicentennial of the D&H them month before. so that makes it May of 73.