• AAPRCO: Missoula-Chicago

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

Does anyone know what the ETA of the AAPRCO Train from Missoula to Chicago. This train, using Amtrak motive power, is to operate via the BNSF from Minneapolis Saturday Oct 2 and is scheduled to arrive Chicago at 5:30 PM. Any Info is helpful

AmtrakFan

WOW

by Gilbert B Norman

This ought to be quite the sight coming by 18.34 (Clarendon Hills).

by AmtrakFan

I'll try to get more info I'll have to e-mail them.

AmtrakFan

by jhdeasy

From the AAPRCO members intranet:

Friday, Oct. 1

Time Mileage Location
7:00 AM 0 Aberdeen
11:40 AM 150 A Benson Line Switch
11:50 AM 150 L Benson
1:00 PM 180 Wilmar
4:00 PM 269 Mpls. Jct.
4:45 PM 274 Mpls. St. Paul Amtrak Station at Midway
(Service train)

Saturday, Oct. 2
Time Mileage Location
6:30 AM 0 Mpls. St. Paul (Amtrak No. 8 due at 7:05 AM)
7:10 AM 26 St. Croix
9:30 AM 137 A N. LaCrosse
9:40 AM 137 L N. LaCrosse
1:25 PM 293 A Savanna
1:35 PM 293 L Savanna
4:20 PM 398 Aurora
5:30 PM 436 Chicago Union Station
(special train terminates)

by AmtrakFan

He was at Downers at 3:45 he was flying like a Rocket.

AmtrakFan
  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that for Private Car owners, elimination of M&E has resulted in a "bennie"; their car can again be "properly pointed".

Both #3(3) and #5(3) had PV's in consist coupled behind the few Boxcars still remaining (3-4 each train). With Roadrailers in consist, only Roadrailers could be coupled to Roadrailers.

#3 (3) had a car named "Scottish Thistle'liveried in CN colors, #5(3) a car L&N style painting except Platinum striping in place of Maize and named(edited)"Colorado Pine".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

by AmtrakFan

I think the car on 5(3) was the Colroado Pine I saw it when he was in Chicago 2 Months Ago.

AmtrakFan

by Gilbert B Norman

I had best defer to Mr. Fan; the Sleepers "--Pine' were owned by the L&N and C&EI; 6-4-6 configuration. PSCM 1953 Plan 4183 Lot 6909, 29 cars (source: Wayner).

My observation was abrupt; #5(03) "sneaked up on me'.

"Colorado Pine" was not one of the cars so named, but then I think some license is owed to those who have pockets deep enough to operate these chariots. Like the boat owner I previously mentioned, PV's surely can be the "money pit".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Joe

I saw the two cars on the rear of 5 and 3 today, but I missed the train yesterday :( .
  by jhdeasy

Gilbert B Norman wrote:It appears that for Private Car owners, elimination of M&E has resulted in a "bennie"; their car can again be "properly pointed".

Allow me to correct you on the use of the proper terminology.

The traditional terminology for positioning a private car in the consist is "rearmost, properly pointed." The term is particularly relevant for observation cars, but not as relevant for other cars.

"Properly pointed" refers to which end of the car faces forward and which end faces rear. That is readily apparent with an observation car. For other cars (such as sleepers, coaches, lounges and diners), which were not specifically designed for end of train service, one end of the car is usually preferred as the leading end; this usually reflects interior arrangements such as which way some/all beds/seats face. In general, Amtrak has always been good at making sure the car is pointed in the manner desired by the owner, subject to some operating limitations. Properly pointed was not the problem.

"Rearmost" is just that ... the last piece of equipment in the consist ... the car carrying the marker light(s). This has been the problem on Amtrak. Owners of observation cars have had their view to the rear blocked by Roadrailers; the design of RoadRailers requires they operate rearmost. Owners of observation cars, who want to be plugged into HEP rather than running their generator for many hours, have had to sacrifice the rearmost position and have their view to the rear blocked by a HEP-less boxcar. Now that mail and bulk express is going away, there is a greater chance a private car can operate rearmost in the Amtrak consist, with nothing behind it to block the view to the rear.

The other plus of losing the RoadRailers and HEP-less boxcars from the rear of the consist is the increased opportunity to pickup/setout a private car at intermediate stops, given Amtrak's general unwillingness to doubleswitch a consist to pickup/setout a private car at intermediate stations. For example, the loss of the rear-end M&E traffic on The Southwest Chief may reopen Kansas City and the Grand Canyon area stations to PV traffic.

by Gilbert B Norman

Thanks for the update, Mr. Deasy.

However, I should note that I still await an observation of a Chief or Zephyr without any Box and/or Reefers in consist.

I guess an "aesthetic non-bennie' when the M&E is completely gone is that the Chief will likely drop its third P-42. Since the passenger consist of both trains is identical, I will now have difficulty distinguishing the two.

Sob, Sob :(

by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Thanks for the update, Mr. Deasy.

However, I should note that I still await an observation of a Chief or Zephyr without any Box and/or Reefers in consist.

I guess an "aesthetic non-bennie' when the M&E is completely gone is that the Chief will likely drop its third P-42. Since the passenger consist of both trains is identical, I will now have difficulty distinguishing the two.

Sob, Sob :(
Yes me too :(

AmtrakFan