Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by ThomasW

Hi all

I look foward to soon spend a week in NYC. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have learned that MTA Museum has a trip on april 14th, but is sold out. Is there any way to get on a waiting list or do someone have a ticket they don't want to use. I know it's a long shot, but gotta try.
Otherwise if anyone a has some great ideas and must see's (regarding transit), please let me know. It's not my first trip to this great city so I have seen a few highlights but everything changes all the time.

Best regards
Thomas Weidekamp

by Otto Vondrak

Hi Thomas- where are you travelling from? You might want to call the museum and see if there are any tickets on "standby." If not, there are plenty of other attractions you can see while you're in New York!

See also: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36283

-otto-

by ThomasW

Hi Otto

I come from Denmark (Europe). I will try calling them to hear about standby options.
I plan to take some pictures of the trains, is there some places that are worth travelling to more than others? I would if possible try to get some of each differnt type and line.

Thomas
  by Head-end View

Tom; see the thread "a day in NY" further down the MTA NYC Subway page, for some good transit lines to ride and interesting stations to see. You might also want to ride the East River Tram, next to the Queensboro Bridge. You access it at 2nd Ave. and 59th St, in Manhattan. It was recently rebuilt and is back in operation. And it's a great view of the city. :-D

by iamchris9119

Make sure to take a ride on the (B)(D)(N)(Q) or (J) across the Manhattan Br and Williamsburg Br. I love the bridge rides!

by arrow

I completely agree, you need to take the ride across the Manhattan Bridge via subway, it's great. Also, taking the A past Howard Beach on the viaduct is supposed to be nice although I've never tried it. Not sure about the neighborhood on the other side though?

by ThomasW

Hi all

Thanks for your input, I have printed all of them to bring. It's only one week until I'll be there.

Best regards
Thomas

by ThomasW

Hi

Just back from a great week in NYC. I did ride most lines and types but failed to find the R160's. Are they not in permanent service yet? Also another thing that got me thinking, riding the PATH every day, I noticed that not one car had signs of any form of vandalism, where almost every car on NYCT was in someway affected. Even the "new" R143's had rust on their front plates. I know that PATH is by no means the same size as NYCT but still.