• A Raritan River RR miracle

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJT4272

Since moving to Bucks County in Pennsylvania in 2007, one of the comforting relics of home (which was Middlesex Co., NJ) was the truly amazing presence of Raritan River RR box car #100 at the Quakertown, PA train station.

Purchased by the Quakertown Train Station Historical Society for storage purposes, it had sat for much of its post-RRRR life on Conrail property in Lancaster, PA.

RRRR 100 was a non-interchange box car that served home rail customers. Somehow it survived Conrail and finally came to rest in Quakertown.

About 2 months ago, I was sad to see that the car had finally been sanded down and sprayed an unremarkable coat of 'rustoleum' primer red. The original Raritan River markings were gone. Considering it was purchased for storage and that we're in Pennsylvania, I figured the heritage and livery of the car would be considered quite unremarkable to a group of Pennsylvania railroad preservationists.

The other day, to my shock, amazement, relief, and joy...... as I drove past the station, I noticed fresh, bright white lettering had been applied to the car. Making a sudden, certainly illegal U-turn, I drove up to the car to find a wonderful sight............ professionally applied, historically accurate Raritan River lettering! The owners had begun restoring the car to its original appearance!

Three cheers for the Quakertown Train Station Historical Society for preserving this particularly rare piece of New Jersey railroad history. I think it would be quite nice of those concerned to send the organization a heart-felt note of thanks for their efforts. I'm certainly going to stop in at their next monthly meeting to thank them personally. For those associated with Tri-State Railway Historical Society, I think it would be quite fitting for a representative to contact the group, considering that Tri-State is restoring RRRR caboose #10 in Whippany.
  by glennk419

The Quakertown Train Station Historical Society is a class act who has done a remarkable job in restoring and maintaining a beautiful piece of Reading Railroad history. The continuing presence of occasional trains is an added bonus and the station will regain even more significance when scheduled rail service is hopefully restored to Upper Bucks County at some time in the future.