• A rant for a friend: Harassed by SEPTA Police

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Silverliner II

I was chatting with a friend today, and he recounted an incident at 69th Street Terminal today.

He was at the North Terminal taking a couple pictures of a few buses there and was recording the vehicle and blocks in his little book like usual (in case anything unusual were to appear).

He was approached by a transit cop who basically told him that it was forbidden to take pictures of SEPTA vehicles OR copy down vehicle numbers. He told him that he would stop short of confiscating his notebook and photos, and not to do it again.

He did email a complaint into Customer Service. I sure hope he gets some kind of reply....

I guess that means I better watch out at 69th Street, or I'll be arrested for copying down phone numbers of cute girls that walk by, or maybe phone numbers on advertisements....

by wagz

Sounds like an incident I had with a couple of SEPTA cops at Lombard-South station.

Now, I'm a SEPTA employee mind you (traffic checker). I was down there with 4 other co-workers taking leave loads on NB trains when these 2 cops on my car noticed me and jump off as the doors are closing. They proceed to ask me why I'm counting people on the train (in a not so nice way), so I told them because its my job. They asked for ID and I presented my SEPTA ID. At that point they shut up pretty quick.

At that point a 2-car operator training train shows up going SB (it had been rotating all day) and they freak out not knowing what it is, and proceed to walk down and talk to the operator.

Some of these guys are a piece of work. You'd think they would at least have known about my department and what we do considering we all work for the same company. They seemed bewildered when I described my job to them.

Joe

by Silverliner II

wagz wrote:Sounds like an incident I had with a couple of SEPTA cops at Lombard-South station.

Now, I'm a SEPTA employee mind you (traffic checker). I was down there with 4 other co-workers taking leave loads on NB trains when these 2 cops on my car noticed me and jump off as the doors are closing. They proceed to ask me why I'm counting people on the train (in a not so nice way), so I told them because its my job. They asked for ID and I presented my SEPTA ID. At that point they shut up pretty quick.

At that point a 2-car operator training train shows up going SB (it had been rotating all day) and they freak out not knowing what it is, and proceed to walk down and talk to the operator.

Some of these guys are a piece of work. You'd think they would at least have known about my department and what we do considering we all work for the same company. They seemed bewildered when I described my job to them.

Joe
No kidding! I've run into that too. Talk about cops on a hair-trigger, LOL!

I once was doing video at Margaret-Orthodox for my documentation of the first run of the M4's back in 1997, and a cop approached me and pretty much said I couldn't film there.....even after I flashed him my own SEPTA ID. Still, he at least let me hang around to finish up.

I know they've been pretty heavy-handed at Frankford TC as well, which will make it difficult for me when I go to do a program there when it is finally completely finished (Bridge St. headhouse and the parking garage). Yet, I filmed at the old Frankford Terminal several times in 1996, 1997, and in 2000 with no problems.

by R3toNEC

Maybe I just don't understand people on this forum...but at one point you criticize Septa for being lax with security. The the minute you get questioned by the police it becomes this big "to do." I sure as hell would be suspicious of someone counting the numbers of people on trains, writing down bus/train numbers, etc. We live in a society where mass transit is a potential terror target, so I am frankly glad that the police harrased you.

by Silverliner II

capuzfu wrote:Maybe I just don't understand people on this forum...but at one point you criticize Septa for being lax with security. The the minute you get questioned by the police it becomes this big "to do." I sure as hell would be suspicious of someone counting the numbers of people on trains, writing down bus/train numbers, etc. We live in a society where mass transit is a potential terror target, so I am frankly glad that the police harrased you.
Well, for starters, my Margaret-Orthodox incident happened in 1997...well before the world as we knew it ended. Second, I was out there with the knowledge of the supervisory personnel at both 69th Street and Bridge-Pratt. They were not required to notify police. And, I also happen to be a SEPTA employee. I did say that he allowed me to continue my filming.

SEPTA has had their traffic department that does just that for decades now, and they don't require uniforms for the checkers. The only reason people would notice them now is because we are suddenly paying attention to our surroundings and noticing things that actually have been under our nose for the past 50 to 60 years....like checkers, and rail or transit enthusiasts.

Some checks also require that no visible SEPTA ID is visible, as they may be doing checks that are real-time specific in order to design new schedules, and don't want operators who may be chronically late to "adjust" themselves, just for the sake of schedule appearance.

As for writing down bus numbers and blocks, that in itself is useless for any kind of terror plot....I doubt that someone planning anything would care about vehicle numbers or blocks. Anyone wanting to target a bus can see anywhere, anytime the size of a bus on any given line on any day....the numbers are meaningless. As for writing times down, again, it is no deterrent to anyone wanting to plot an attack....they can simply pick up a public timetable to get the same information.

In my opinion, a good way to increase security is to do it in such a way that the general public doesn't notice it. For all we know, we could have been on vehicles with undercover agents from any law enforcement agency and not noticed. Just because you don't see more uniformed officers doesn't mean there hasn't been a security increase.

I failed to mention in my original post that my friend who was stopped by the SEPTA officer, is only 17 (and looks a heck of a lot younger). Hardly a risk in my opinion, especially when quite a bit of the usual everyday petty crimes on SEPTA concourses or terminals go unanswered or unnoticed. It is a sad time when I see someone vandalizing SEPTA property and get a shrug from an officer, but heaven help you if you write a bus number down.

In fact, I am in the midst of a project keeping track of the M4's on the Market-Frankford as they get new seats installed, and have been writing car numbers down as I see them. And I will continue to do so....for writing information down is still very much legal....anywhere!

I have no problem with being questioned by police or law enforcement...and I have gone through that perhaps four times over various places since 9-11-01 in the course of my doing video. And each outcome ended in a positive manner. My objection is when the officer in question is threatening throughout the encounter instead of simply going with the flow, as was the case with my friend.

I also made mention of the incident to a few of my contacts down at 1234 today, and they are pretty much in agreement with me (and my friend) that the officer was out of line as far as threatening to confiscate his notebook. As for picture-taking, perhaps the officer might want to remember that many cell phones can take excellent photos as well as any simple digital camera....shall we confiscate them too?

And how about all the photos taken from public property, which is still very legal?

*stopping my rant now*....
Last edited by Silverliner II on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jersey_Mike

Maybe I just don't understand people on this forum...but at one point you criticize Septa for being lax with security.
First of all, one could make the arguement that lax security includes wasting your time on false positives because for each minute wasted on a railfan something else is going unsecured.

Second, I never complain when transit agencies have lax security. I have completely lost faith in law enforcement, so the less of it the better.

by Silverliner II

Not to mention that by the very nature of mass transit and railroads, it will always be impossible to have the type of protection that can be given to airlines at airports. Airport-style screening for mass transit and commuter operations would grind the system to a halt very quickly...and it would defeat the purpose of "mass" transit: the ability to move masses quickly and efficiently.

And I fully accept that and move on with my life. If something happens and it affects me, then I guess it was my time, and no getting around that, eh? So while I am also vigilant, I don't let things worry me every second.

by kevikens

Cap; I have NO problem with law enforcement accosting and questioning me about rail fan activities but I think, and I suspect that others also think, that these authorities need to know the law they seek to enforce. It is not illegal to photograph transit from public property and rail fans know this so why don't the law enforcement authorities ? Is it it so difficult for superiors to tell or, better yet put in written orders, their officers that after checking out these fans to leave them alone as they are not breaking any laws ? Nothing angers me more than law enforcement not knowing the law. In my career my hide would be nailed to the wall if I demonstrated such ignorance of facts essential to the performance of my duties.
  by Silverliner II

Well, SEPTA Customer Service responded to my friend's complaint. He told me he's satisfied with the reply...now it remains to be seen if the transit police get the word or not.

Here's the email he got back:

Dear Mr.....,

Photography of SEPTA property and of its vehicles is permitted
depending where and what you would like to photograph. However; you must obtain and sign a photography release form. This has always been the case. In the future, please contact Ms. Sylvana Hoyos in our Media Relations Department ([email protected]) and provide the exact dates and specifics on what and where you would like to photograph. If approved, you will need to meet with Sylvana to sign the release form as well as providing picture ID.

We are not aware of anything preventing you from writing down Vehicle
numbers, however; and will forward your comments to Management in the
Transit Police.

Thank You,
SEPTA Customer Service

by kevikens

Septa may require permits when the photography has a commercial application. They have no right to forbid photography of their vehicles from public property and if they think they have that authority they are dead wrong. Maybe the ACLU has to be brought in as was the recent case in NJ with NJ Transit trying to claim that same autrhority.

by Silverliner II

kevikens wrote:Septa may require permits when the photography has a commercial application. They have no right to forbid photography of their vehicles from public property and if they think they have that authority they are dead wrong. Maybe the ACLU has to be brought in as was the recent case in NJ with NJ Transit trying to claim that same autrhority.

True, and in this case the photos were for private use only.

The current issue of Railpace Newsmagazine might be of interest to all....there are two stories of people who had run-ins with the law on photography....one of them a WHYY Channel 12 film crew on an assignment! That was in the Boberwatch column.

Another story in the same mag tells of a guy taking pics of trains at the Syracuse Amtrak station, his questioning by police (positive ending)....and then the subsequent seizure of his pics a couple weeks later by the FBI after the first London Tube bombings...
  by Head-end View

Silverliner II: That Boberwatch story about the Gloucester Twp, NJ Police Dept. is unreal ! Ya' have to wonder who was really at fault here though. Could the Chief of that PD be so generally ignorant and abusive to the public that he and his officers make false arrests based on laws that don't exist? And they actually tried to go to court with this nonsense?

OR could that Police Dept. have been misinformed by someone else, like maybe their county prosecutor or even the N.J. Transit Police? Did this happen before the state Attorney General publicly stated that there is no prohibition against taking railroad photos from a public location off the property?

You also have to wonder what the problem is with Police Dept's in the State of New Jersey in general (and now maybe Pennsylvania too), since there is a history of similar misconduct. First it was the N.J. Transit Police harassing railfans. And remember some years back when the N.J. State Police were caught up in a scandal where they were illegally stopping and searching people's cars on the N.J. Turnpike?

So again I ask: What is the problem with New Jersey ?