• A One Off?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by ThePointyHairedBoss

I saw a weird picture of a Conrail SD40-2 with a hybrid CSX-CR logo, and I was wondering if any other diesels were painted like this. I'm probably wrong, but if there were any more, or any other odd CR to CSX units, please let me know.

by SimTrains

I've never seen anything like that. Looks like an old Conrail engine went somewhere else, and now is on CSX. Regardless, the 8857 isn't painted this way anymore. It went dark future sometime around 2001-2002.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 549&nseq=5

by brickbuilder711

SimTrains wrote:I've never seen anything like that. Looks like an old Conrail engine went somewhere else, and now is on CSX. Regardless, the 8857 isn't painted this way anymore. It went dark future sometime around 2001-2002.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 549&nseq=5
Probably in 2002, because Dark Future began in February 14, 2002.

by conrail_engineer

Looks like someone's Photoshop. I have never, ever seen that scheme...not on a locomotive, not on any papers, letterheads or company photos.

Yes, I'd probably see them. There were some wall photographs of the Dark Future paint scheme long before we saw any in our yards. Currently CSX is phasing in a modified logo, the familiar block-serif CSX with brackets and dots underneath to represent wheels...

...But never that.

by lvrr325

I think that unit got itself in Railpace, too. But it was not an official paint, just someone's playing around - probably just to see what reaction it would generate. I mean I'm sure no one got close enough to tell if it was done with spray cans, a roller, or what. There was one someone had modified the nose to read "CSXRAIL" too. And someone's played with the nose of a Dark Future unit to read CSI instead of CSX. About all that's missing is a CR unit altered to read like the punchlike of the one joke, ConSex.

by scooter3798

Once upon a time I came upon a close up shot of the side of this unit, I have no idea where though now. Any way it looked to be done in a fairly clean manner. Whom ever did it took their time with it and put a half decent paint job on it. As for the other variants, there are a couple of the CSI 70MAC's running around, I have also seen that logo turned in to CSY and also a couple of just CS and at least a pair that have no logo left on the nose at all. There was also a GP40-2 in bright future paint that had the CSX logo painted out on the nose and Conrail painted on it black paint, it was from the late 90's and I doubt that the scheme lasted long. Also from the late 90's I recall seeing a unit one time with SUX sprayed on the battery boxes, but I can't remember what kind of unit it was.

Kids these days.

Scooter

by ThePointyHairedBoss

Thanks! :wink: