• A Chance to Check out and Actually Ride the PCC IIs

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SEPTALRV9072

University City presents Trolley Day, Where 1938 Meets Today on the Tracks

University City District invites you to participate in UC Trolley Day, "where 1938 meets today on the tracks." On October 16th, from 10am to 6pm, SEPTA, the University City Historical Society, University of Pennsylvania, and University City District will be encouraging everybody to taste, hear, and see the modern and historic charms of University City. Free rides will be available all day on three newly renovated 1930's era Philadelphia trolley cars. These cars will operate in a continuous loop, connecting riders to concerts, historic home and garden tours, restaurants, bakeries, shops, farmers' markets, museum displays, book sales, and tree plantings.

UC Trolley Day will be the passenger debut for SEPTA's restored PCC cars. These cars originally ran in Philadelphia from the late 1930's to the early 1990's. Light, agile, and now air-conditioned, the 18-car fleet was rebuilt to operate on the route #15 Girard Avenue trolley line, re-introducing lost connections between West Philadelphia, Fairmount, and Northern Liberties.

The construction of horsecar lines in the late 1850s and their electrification in the mid-1890s enabled the conversion of the neighborhood from a collection of estates and farms into a thriving residential area. Federally designated as a "historic trolley car suburb," much of University City retains the streets, trains, housing, institutions, and parks that were constructed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The neighborhood also enjoys recent developments such as new retail and restaurants, park renovation, and an influx of new families choosing to call the neighborhood home.

"UC Trolley Day showcases University City's brilliant present by riding on a shining piece of the past," says Mike Hardy, one of Trolley Day organizers and member of the University City Historical Society. "We invite you to pick up free tickets at many locations throughout University City including UCD's office at 3940 Chestnut Street." The trolleys will loop south through the Penn campus along 40th Streets, West on Spruce and 42nd Street to Baltimore Avenue, South on 49th Street, and East on Chester Avenue.

Riders will be able to board and disembark at more than 15 locations throughout the neighborhood approximately every twenty minutes. From 10am to 6pm, trolley riders will be free to enjoy the following attractions during their tour:

Tour historic houses and gardens (on the 4500 block of Chester Avenue) including visits to the Gables, a Victorian bed and breakfast, and private homes and gardens on this intact block designed by Willis G. Hale in 1888

Attend book signings of Joel Spivack's "Philadelphia Trolleys" and Robert Skaler's "West Philadelphia, University City to 52nd Street," purchase UC "Architectural Treasures" posters highlighting images of the area's famed period architecture, and experience University City "Then and Now," a beautiful and informative slide presentation at the UCHS office at Calvary Center, 48th and Baltimore Avenue

Visit The Rotunda at 4014 Walnut Street to experience a variety of crafts from oil paintings, prints and sculptures to clothing, handbags, mirrors, and footstools, with posters, zines, and more to spare! All the items for sale are handcrafted by Philadelphia artists. PLUS Noon-2PM: Russell Kutcher & Eric Coyne perform Classical duets for Cello and Violin from members of the Muhlenberg Piano Quartet and the Haddonfield Symphony Orchestra.

Tour the Lower Mill Creek Garden (a joint project of the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, UC Green, Baltimore Avenue in Bloom and the Philadelphia Water Department) at 43rd and Chester

Meet at SE corner 43rd and Chester for registration and demonstration tree planting.
Break into teams to plant 50 "underwire" trees appropriately sized for planting under PECO's high-voltage wires at various locations in University City. Join University City Tree Tenders, neighbors, and USP students in this community greening event

See a photography exhibition at the University City Arts League at 42nd and Spruce Streets

Visit the pharmacy museum at the Marvin Sansom Center for the History of Pharmacy at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, Main Floor, Griffith Hall, 600 S. 43rd Street

Enjoy international cuisine along Baltimore Avenue from Italy, Laos, Thailand, Africa, India, and Eclectic American including the newly reopened Marigold Kitchen at 45th and Larchwood

Shop for fresh and organic groceries at the Firehouse Market, 50th and Baltimore; Fresh Grocer, 40th and Walnut; and the Clark Park Farmers Market, 43rd and Baltimore

Purchase baked goods (at Sugar Hill Bakery, 49th and Baltimore; Metropolitan Bakery, 40th and Walnut; Genuine Bread and Specialty Shoppe at 45th and Springfield Avenue)

Experience Philadelphia's largest Tiffany windows at the Calvary Center, 48th and Baltimore, as part of the historic Calvary Church of 1895

Enjoy coffee or water ice (at the Green Line, 43rd and Baltimore; the Paris Café, 41st and Walnut; the Bucks County Coffee House, 40th and Locust ; La Naz Café, 47th and Baltimore and Café d'Afrique, 45th and Baltimore Avenue)

See a movie at The Bridge Cinema de Lux, 40th and Walnut

Have a drink at the new Mar Bar, 40th and Walnut; Copa, 40th and Spruce; Mill Creek Tavern, 41st and Chester; Gojjo's, 45th and Baltimore; Dahlak's, 47th and Baltimore; The Library at the Inn at Penn, 37th and Walnut;

Get your membership card and borrow a book from the newly restored Walnut West Library, 40th and Walnut

Visit Clark Park, University City's largest public space, at 43rd and Chester avenues and see only statue of Charles Dickens in existence

Experience West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb Historic District in style (as you travel thru portions of the Cedar Park and Spruce Hill neighborhoods still laced with functioning trolley tracks, a prime factor for their original development and one of the special amenities and opportunities for their future desirability for living in the 21st century)

For more information, call Mark Christman at 215.243.0555.

Wow I can hardly wait for this!

by Frankford5758

This is just going to be to cool for words. I was at 12th and Arch last year when they had 2320 just on display, but to actually ride one will be awesome.

Daryl Jackson
[email protected]

by TuckertonRR

I am so there! the last time I rode a PCC was the 23 to go to South Philly...in the spring of '91!

by greg19051

This sounds like a really nice event for introducing the trolleys. It would be great if more trolleys could be restored for some sort of new loop around University City and 30th Street. By the way, does anyone know if the restored trolleys will still fit in the tunnel? Thanks.
Greg19051

by SEPTALRV9072

They do. Believe it or not they are a few inches shorter than the Kawaski cars.

by kevikens

I am so delighted to see this. Maybe Septa can run the PCC's on the holiday route this Thanksgiving or put a few on Germantown Ave. or just run them on the K- car routes to keep them in proper condition. At least they would be running instead of rusting. How about it, Septa ?

by Sean@Temple

I am so mad. I will be in West Chester all day and won't be able to ride the trolleys. And just to rub salt in the wound, they are going to run right in front of my appartment. Good thing I can take the trolley or the train to West Chester, oh wait can't do that either. I can't win.

Sean@Temple

by greg19051

At least it's some positive news for a change. It was probably due to the efforts of the UCD. Maybe if a lot of people show up, then something might be done about restoring service on Girard Street much sooner.

by jfrey40535

SEPTALRV where did you get this article from? From what I've heard from 1234 this event is a PRIVATE CHARTER, and not open to the public. THere will only be 3 PCC-II's making runs for special out of town guests. THe people I know downtown were very shocked to hear that someone is advertising this as a public event.

by Urban D Kaye

A private charter huh...

Nothing like the smell of freshly cooked Snafu a la Septa.
I can't wait to hear how this one turns out.

-Urban

by R8FoxChase

I doubt that this is open to the public. The information that SEPTALRV provided is posted on the University City District website. However, it does mention obtaining tickets at various locations. If this was open to the public like the holiday trolley there would be no need for tickets, unless I'm misunderstanding. I think that if this was open to the public there would be more notice given, such as in the Metro. I really don't think that SEPTA really wants the public thinking about the PCC II's right now because of the way they've fouled everything up. If this is open to out-of-town guests only, this is a real slap in the face to the people of this city IMO. We've been waiting for these cars to be used and now a group from out-town-gets to ride them for free? I was thrilled last night when I read that there might be a chance to ride next Saturday but the more I read that article and thought about it, the less I thought it was possible. I called the contact person at the University City district this morning but I guess nobody's there on weekends so I'll try again Monday. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I think the riders will just sit and wait until some politician does something about this mess while the out-of-towners enjoy the ride and we just get taken for one.

by R8FoxChase

I just called the Chestnut Hill Business Association to find out if there are plans for a Black Friday trolley this year. The answer is NO. There will be a FAIRMOUNT PARK "trolley" this year, but no SEPTA trolley. THIS STINKS!

by jfrey40535

The PCC-II charter is specifically for NYC transit officials, who are paying to use these cars. I don't know where the University got its info from. Maybe someone at 1234 is misinformed as well.

I would doubt there would be a holiday trolley only because there probablly arent any PCC's left to run on them that work without any mechanical issues. Might as well send them to Brookville, or the scrap yard.

by Nasadowsk

<i>The PCC-II charter is specifically for NYC transit officials, who are paying to use these cars.</i>

One wonders for what? The MTA has no money for anything and sure doesn't want to be involved with LRT or streetcars anyway...
  by jsc

I am often amazed at some of the "facts" that are spread around these forums. Please allow me to correct what seems to be some mis-information.

There are 3 PCC II cars that have been chartered jointly by the UCD, PENN and the University City Historical Society.

Trolleys will operate from 10am to 6pm with approximate 20 minute headways.

Anyone can ride by obtaining a free ticket.

a ticket entitles one to an unlimited number of boardings from the trolleys. The idea is to encourage people to come to west philly and circulate around some. Maybe check out our newly re-opened library. Take in a film at the bridge. Enjoy lunch (and maybe dinner too). See some of the beautiful renovations occuring all around the neighborhood. Or whatever.

Call the free number on the flyer; they will send you as many tickets as you ask for. I asked for half a dozen and they sent me twenty. I was told that they want these tickets to see how many people are actually interested in riding a trolley loop. If demand is high, various neighborhood groups might once again take up the cause of the university city trolley loop.

I have no idea where the info about the MTA came from. They have nothing to do with west philly.

Please come enjoy our neighborhood. It is a wonderful place to live.