Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

The spur DID NOT go to Roosevelt Raceway. It serviced some freight customers along the route and the spur was not electrified.

The northern-most part of the spur did encroach on Roosevelt Field at one point from what I can determine from my maps.

The Roosevelt Raceway station was called "Meadowbrook-Roosevelt Raceway" and was on the Central extension, being relocated from its original position further east around 1939.

It was an "island" station with low platform located in between both tracks. It was located just east of Selfridge and just west of Endo.

The old Mitchell Field station was located just WEST of Selfridge on the north side of the tracks.

Dave Keller

by NIMBYkiller

Thanks for clearin all that up.

by Dave Keller

Here's a scan of a map of that spur, courtesy of Bob Andersen's great website:

And a map of the spur at A&P-Bronze, also courtesy of Bob Andersen:

And finally, the site of Meadowbrok-Roosevelt Raceway station, again courtesy of Bob Andersen:

These were hand-drawn by the late Bob Emery in 1958.

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

Eight-O-Clock coffee in the red bag.

Red Circle coffee in the Yellow bag.

Bokar coffee in the black bag.

Dave Keller

by Legio X

The fence around the LIRR maintenance facility which is on the site of the old yard has been upgraded with high-security fencing. Also, it looks like the MTA Police have a new facility just west of the yard on Commercial Ave. There is also a welded rail train on the spur that leads to Endo Blvd., and a cut of LIRR gondolas and hoppers that were at Belmont Park for awhile.

by Sir Ray

Well, that map answers all those questions:

The A&P Warehouse is now that retail mall where Empire Disk and B&G Mensware (among other stores - including Caldor at one time) is located.
And the General Bronze site is now the large white office complex where the US Immigration Center is.
And it looks to me like Meadowbrook station (the platform marked L2, on the west side of the private road West of Meadowbrook parkway) is where Contential Extrusions was located (which I remember was a big customer on that line - usually 6-8 covered hoppers on their siding (former central line).
The oil storage site on the North side of Commercial, and what would become the southern extension of South Ave, was torn down only two years ago.

by Dave Keller

So all you folks don't think I've slipped a gear tooth, or dropped a side-rod, my post concerning the 3 types of A&P coffee that once existed was a response to a "LaQwanda" posting about A&P coffee, which has since been removed.

So . . . . .I'm OK guys. Not slipping into Alzheimer's yet! (Locomotive headlight is lit, but no one's in the cab) :wink:

Dave Keller

by thrdkilr

Dave, pleeeease don't forget the Tudor beer, what were the colors? I remember it was cheaper than the deer park drinking water!

by Dave Keller

Ah yes . .. . Tudor Ale.

I think the label was green . . . not too sure.

My father worked for Piel's Bros in Brooklyn, but never drank it. He always drank Tudor Ale.

Eventually, we coerced him into drinking Piel's. After all, the Piel's was free, and Tudor Ale was, I think, $.69 a 6-pack.

Dave Keller

by dukeoq

Tudor Ale was the green can.
Tudor "Premium" beer in a yellow and gold can.
The two in my collection were from Queen City Brewing Co., Cumberland MD.
They were three piece steel cans that replaced the one piece cans on the shelf from 1976, brewed by Horlocher, Allentown,PA.
That was about it for private lables. :wink:

by Dave Keller

JJ:

Thanks for the label color confirmation!

Dave Keller

P.S. Let's throw all the younger guys for a loop! :wink: Remember when beer and soda cans had tapered tops and a bottle cap? DK
  by dukeoq

No Dave, I don't personally remember cone tops and I am older than you.
The flat tops were the first (1935 Kreuger of Newark, NJ, first introduced in Richmond, VA)
The cone tops were capable of utilizing the machinery used for capping bottles so it was less expensive for a brewery to switch to cans if they could use thier existing machinery.
(What's this got to do with LIRR? Until Rickey Gates---I won't go any further with that) :(

by lirrmike

You both just keep right on going to what ever direction you want! You two are exempt.

Mike