• 9/28/21 Red Line Derailment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CRail

Red line car 1745 is derailed at Broadway with serious damage. At the time of this posting, WCVB is reporting that there were no injuries on board.
“mbta.com” wrote: Shuttle buses replacing Red Line service between JFK/UMass and Park St due to a derailment at Broadway.
  by STrRedWolf

WHDH 7News Boston reported on this.

Choice quote from the video linked:
"These trains in the last two years…The MBTA really needs to be reassessed and something needs to be done about the continuous trollies crashing, trains failing, and things of that nature."
  by MBTA3247

Given the damage to the car, I'd say it derailed just outside the station and scraped the tunnel wall for several feet before hitting the platform.
  by Commuterrail1050

What do you guys think caused the derailment? This is the second red line derailment this year and this is unacceptable. The traffic on the roads will get worse because of this, but that’s for another thread.
  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Are these cars spotted on the Joint Base Cape Cod / Otis inactive Military Rail line from the Red line derailment ? If so any idea why they are there for such as first responder training perhaps ?
https://railroad.net/mass-coastal-railr ... l#p1585318
  by typesix

Not from the derailment. As noted previously, 01745 was the derailed car, Otis cars are 01800 series.
  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Thanks for the info. Any news on where these 01800 series MBTA cars came from and why they ended up on Otis ?
Last edited by CRail on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
  by caduceus

I swear when I looked before they were listed for derailment damage...maybe a different incident.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.