Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

I hope they don't ruin them any more than Metra has already. I wonder if they'll repaint them or just do a quick letter job.

They shouldn't have to mess with the HEP, there is a setting (I don't know the proper name) where the prime mover idles and reacts to the throttle just like a freight unit. They use it on the F40PHs also when shuttling between CUS and Western Ave., or if it is the trailing unit of a two unit consist or whenever HEP is not required.

by MetraF40C607

That simply goes for every Metra locomotive that pulls the scoots. They have a low idle, high idle, and HEP engaged mode.

by metra 613

ok i look in my F40C Manual. There are three senttings for the hep 1.SUBURBAN- Intended for normal commuter service.Engine operates at or near full speed (904 or 923 RPM) Ac power supplied to trainlined power connectors by Head End Power Alternator: throttle varies AR10 excitation for traction motor control.
2.STANDBY-Intended for short stopover in commuter service such as loading-unloading. scheduling anticipatons or delays,or to perpare the passenger section (hearting or air conditioning) prior to passenger boarding. Engine operates at sandby speed (705 RPM); trainlined power connectors supplied AC by AR10 main generator;no power to traction motors; no throttle response.
3. OFF- Interded for freght service. No ac power to trainlinepower connectors
so all kcs need to do it keep then off and if there dont run them faster then 76 there dont have to regear then it saids so there we go

by AMTK84

MetraF40C607 wrote:What you said is absolutely wrong. They are going to HLCX to be rebuilt for freight leasing services. They WERE NOT sold to KCS is any way, shape, or form humanly possible.
Wow, John! How quick we are to blast other members' statements...:(

What I have heard on Trainorders is that HLCX is rebuilding the units to B-Units (Not saying I agree with it, though) and sending them to KCS for freight service. I'd argue that you could "considder" that "going" to KCS if I saw a point.

by c604.

It just sounds odd that they would rebuild them into B units just for a nine month lease. I bet Helm/KCS will do something like what the Santa Fe did with their F45's and just designate the F40C's as trailing units only, sort of like what Metra did with the 8200's and 8700's :wink: . Plus if they were to be rebuilt completly into B units, that kills a lot of their value as lease engines since they would be very limited in the types of service they can perform. As far as "HLCX rebuilding" them, maybe they will get some mechanical work done to bring them back up to snuff and *maybe* get their traction motor/axle gears changed so that they will have a lower minium continuous speed (does KCS operate in mountainous territory?). All in all though, its very nice to see that they are being put to use so soon like that!

by AMTK84

C604,

I'm sure that if they do mechanical work on them, the MILW fans will be replaced with lawnmowers! ;-)

by TerryC

Bones, where did you get the image under your screen name that shows a F40PH-2 in the new paint scheme?

keep searching keep finding
Black History Month
Last edited by TerryC on Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by bones

I just took that from my train-sim.

by MetraF40C607

Well, this is how it plays out. The F40Cs ar being leased as units to be run in trailing mode only. This is due to the fact that the engines do not have toilets in them. Therfore, they are unable to lead the train in freight service. So, what I said is right. They were NOT sold to KCS. They are being leased for the next 9 months until KCS can recieve their Tier-2 SD70ACe units.

by F40CFan

If anyone is still interested, 614 and 611 were sitting outside at Western Ave. last night. I didn't see them this morning on the way in.

by metra 613

Wow, To bad i miss everthing must been nice to see some good power.

by AmtrakFan

Question do the F40's have tolits in them?

by metra 613

They did have then when there were new. But Metra took the out when there got rebuilt, And that why they took the nose door to. And no the f40s didnt have the sorry about that see this is about 611 and 614 i was talking about them.
Last edited by metra 613 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MikeF

Metra 613 must be referring to the F40C's, as the F40PH's never had nose doors.
Last edited by MikeF on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by metra 613

Boy it will be nice if metra runs them. Then i cant go and get photos of good power on the milw. :-)