• 6000 series on blue line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by red-orange line

Today at around 6:15 I had got off the green line which consisted of Breda Rehabs to go to the lower level. As I approached the escalators I saw a train on the Vienna/Franconia-Springfield track which at first I thought it was the 5000 series. I took a closer look and saw that the middle cars number was 6010-6011 which is a 6k. At first I thought I was an orange line train, but when I got closer it was a blue line train. I tried to ran down the escalator to catch the train, but unfortunately I had missed the train because of all the people crowding the escalators so I couldn't take the picture of the Alstom train on the blue line. In addition to that I have noticed that more 5k are appearing on the orange line.

This is the third line that I seen has the 6000 series on. The Green line was first, then the Yellow line. I haven't seen them on the Orange and the RED LINE YET!!!

WHY CAN'T METRO PUT THEM ON THE RED LINE NOW!!! THIS IS OLDEST LINE IN THE SYSTEM, MOST OF ITS FLEET HAS THE OLDEST CARS, AND IT'S THE BUSIEST LINE IN THE SYSTEM!!! THIS IS STARTING TO BE A REPEAT LIKE IT WAS WHEN THE CAF'S WERE BEING DELIVERED AT WHICH THE RED LINE WAS THE LAST TO GET NEW CARS. I THINK THAT THE RED LINE WON'T GET THE ALSTOM CARS UNTIL NEXT YEAR IF THINGS GO WELL!!
  by Sand Box John

"red-orange line"
Today at around 6:15 I had got off the green line which consisted of Breda Rehabs to go to the lower level. As I approached the escalators I saw a train on the Vienna/Franconia-Springfield track which at first I thought it was the 5000 series. I took a closer look and saw that the middle cars number was 6010-6011 which is a 6k. At first I thought I was an orange line train, but when I got closer it was a blue line train. I tried to ran down the escalator to catch the train, but unfortunately I had missed the train because of all the people crowding the escalators so I couldn't take the picture of the Alstom train on the blue line. In addition to that I have noticed that more 5k are appearing on the orange line.

This is the third line that I seen has the 6000 series on. The Green line was first, then the Yellow line. I haven't seen them on the Orange and the RED LINE YET!!!

WHY CAN'T METRO PUT THEM ON THE RED LINE NOW!!! THIS IS OLDEST LINE IN THE SYSTEM, MOST OF ITS FLEET HAS THE OLDEST CARS, AND IT'S THE BUSIEST LINE IN THE SYSTEM!!! THIS IS STARTING TO BE A REPEAT LIKE IT WAS WHEN THE CAF'S WERE BEING DELIVERED AT WHICH THE RED LINE WAS THE LAST TO GET NEW CARS. I THINK THAT THE RED LINE WON'T GET THE ALSTOM CARS UNTIL NEXT YEAR IF THINGS GO WELL!!

The answer to this question is pretty simple. Like the 5k cars that came before them the 6k cars are being received from the manufacture on the Green line. The testing and acceptance program is based on Green line. The personal employed by WMATA and the contractor that are equipped to trouble shoot, correct and maintain these cars are based at the maintenance facilities on the Green line.

In time these new cars will be deployed system wide.

by red-orange line

I understand that already, but at least the green line doesn't have as many 5k cars now.

by Love Train

What he's asking, Mr. Sandbox John, is why the Red Line is always LAST to receive the "new" cars. The Red was the last line to get CAFs, the last line to get Breda Rehabs, and now its gonna be the last line to get the Alstoms.

And quite frankly, I agree with him! The other four lines get all the new cars while the Red gets stuck with almost all the Rohrs and every remaining 3000 series original Breda & most 4000 series original Breda as well. I'm a semi-regular Red Line rider and I am just as happy as red-orange line about this situation!

by red-orange line

I bet when all the Rohr's are retired or rehab (which I doubt) the Red line will have all the 4000 Bredas and most of the Breda Rehabs while the Green line will have most of the 7000 series instead of putting them on the Silver Line.

by WMATAGMOAGH

The Rohrs probably have the best MDBF rate in the entire Metrorail system, be glad you don't have the Rehabs/CAFs/Alstoms running on the Red Line. I know I am.

by DCmetrogreen

Ah, I see you made it over here from subchat! Nice! I like this board much better because of the variety and the cleanliness. Welcome, WMATAGMOAGH. Oh, since I ride the Green Line the most, I am glad it has the new cars.

by red-orange line

The green line has too many new cars, and I hate this line. I would rather see the new cars on the red or orange lines. Both of these lines are busier than the green. I would love to ride an Alstom on Red speeding between Bethesda and Friendship heights.

by Love Train

red-orange line wrote:The green line has too many new cars, and I hate this line. I would rather see the new cars on the red or orange lines. Both of these lines are busier than the green. I would love to ride an Alstom on Red speeding between Bethesda and Friendship heights.
Yeah, that stretch sure is fast, isn't it? Especially heading inbound (towards DC). The train goes so fast it feels like you're on a rocket ship flying through outer space!