Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ConstanceR46

B R A V O M T A

BEST PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM

but seriously the mta fucking something up is soooo outta the ordinary, especially re. preservation (ft. we sold every fa to one guy)

edit: this is going off cameron's testimony, and honestly i don't really expect anything less from the lirr
  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:B R A V O M T A

BEST PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM

but seriously the mta * something up is soooo outta the ordinary, especially re. preservation (ft. we sold every fa to one guy)

edit: this is going off cameron's testimony, and honestly i don't really expect anything less from the lirr
Might you post this in a sentance format I/we might understand?
  by ConstanceR46

nyandw wrote:
ConstanceR46 wrote:snip
Might you post this in a sentance format I/we might understand?
Sorry, i forgot this isn't one of the boards with sнitposting.

Bravo MTA, truly the best public transit in the country. I'd expect nothing less from a company that has failed preserving things often in it's LIRR and MN divisions, including selling almost every Power Pack to 1 guy back during the end of their tenure. I'm basing this off of what cameron said, and all the blame seems to be to the MTA. Let's hope a SW1001 can be saved.
  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:
nyandw wrote:
ConstanceR46 wrote:snip
. Let's hope a SW1001 can be saved.
Good point... What is the current disposition/status of these units? Thanks.
  by Bad Luck

I don't understand what you're saying? All of those powerpacks sold in 1999/2000, with the exception of the 620 & 622 (the latter sold to SEPTA - so it's their fault, and it was a rotten basket case anyway) are still preserved - so that's a garbage statement. Let's not forget how every single one of the FA-1s and FA-2s on the LIRR that retained their original 244 prime movers (sold in 1987-8) still exist to this day - and represent a high percentage of the non-MLW FA's still in existence.

Let's think of all of the the items over the past 40 years that the LIRR has donated to museums which have ultimately been scrapped by said museums; probably a lot more than you are aware of. The railroad, certainly not faultless with certain decisions, but when one considers the items which have been given over the years, is also quite generous.

One of the E10s is being repainted as we speak. Two still run in active service as is, not including the one remaining on NYAR. Settle down.
  by Cameron Wolk

Bad Luck wrote:I don't understand what you're saying? All of those powerpacks sold in 1999/2000, with the exception of the 620 & 622 (the latter sold to SEPTA - so it's their fault, and it was a rotten basket case anyway) are still preserved - so that's a garbage statement. Let's not forget how every single one of the FA-1s and FA-2s on the LIRR that retained their original 244 prime movers (sold in 1987-8) still exist to this day - and represent a high percentage of the non-MLW FA's still in existence.

Let's think of all of the the items over the past 40 years that the LIRR has donated to museums which have ultimately been scrapped by said museums; probably a lot more than you are aware of. The railroad, certainly not faultless with certain decisions, but when one considers the items which have been given over the years, is also quite generous.

One of the E10s is being repainted as we speak. Two still run in active service as is, not including the one remaining on NYAR. Settle down.
I wouldn't want to derail this thread but Constance has a point. Aside from the FAs and P-72s everything Long Island that exist up to this point has been preserved by second hand companies. The railroad couldn't care about what got sent to a museum (they're still a business) let alone keep its own pride intact. We were offered a historic piece of equipment only to have it burned down by an incompetent employee, what does that tell you about their image.
  by RGlueck

What piece of equipment was that?
  by ConstanceR46

Bad Luck- Yes. However having one on the island would be nice, and that's what i meant. The survivors are good but we have barely anything from the end of RS-3 service to the 1990s. Half of the E10s are stored in uncertain conditions.

RGlueck- I believe Cameron is talking about #3100, mentioned earlier in the thread as having been parted out after a donation offering.
  by BuddR32

Saving or scrapping 3100 for me is of no consequence. I personally see no historical value in it. The significance of that unit to me is the ingenuity, and pride that went into it by the MofE Forces to make it a reality. That is what I miss most about this railroad. The MTA has made it too corporate and afraid to innovate/improvise.
  by 452 Card

There is nothing left of the prime mover and the rest of its internal original parts. It was fitted with a sled, an all-new electrical system which could provide 480vac or 600vdc at the turn of a switch. The body was sheathed in stainless, cab gone as mentioned earlier and it was refitted as a permanent trailing unit. All that remained that was seen outside were the carbody floor, the trucks and the original fuel tank- which led to its demise.
Al P. told me he and his crew in the backshop were left to do whatever was necessary to get that thing out for service pronto, without any meddling. Ultra rare on this railroad, and most likely never to occur again.
  by MADDOG

folks,
as of today-2/20/18-#3100 was still coupled between the 2 grey and orange sw's in Morris Park.
MADDOG
  by dgvrengineer

Does anyone know if the 3100 has been sold to a scrapper yet or if it is just in the scrap line and if sold to whom?
  by Backshophoss

Might be bundled into the scrap clean up deal with Frontier,when is the next batch of deadline M-3's going west?
  by DogBert

Backshophoss wrote:Might be bundled into the scrap clean up deal with Frontier,when is the next batch of deadline M-3's going west?
My assumption is that it's going. The deal calls for two locomotives to be scrapped. Which two are anyone's guess, though 3100 and 503 seem like a safe bet, with any derelict mp15's maybe still subject to the emd lease?

I'm also assuming any locomotives that do go will be waiting until after the rest of the junk at Arch street is cleared out, which at this pace will take until early summer to chew through. Since they're doing four at a time, maybe they'll go out at the end with the two p-72s
  by ConstanceR46

Update: As of today, 3100 is in *Wheelspur with a M1 or 3, 9931. Flatcars are near her, she's gonna be going soon. A graffiti artist painted a really nice tribute to her, WM paint, the ALCO logo and her various identities.

If ya want photos, nows the time.
Last edited by ConstanceR46 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.