• 30 Years of New Carrollton Service!

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: A significant WMATA anniversary has passed all of us by in November 2008: The 30th anniversary of the start of Orange Line service to New Carrollton. This was a notable event because it was the first Metro line to reach its as-designated terminal. Five years later in late 1983 Amtrak opened its station next door replacing the old Capitol Beltway station which is now reaching its own 25th anniversary. All this led to turning NCR into a significant transport hub as it is today.

Does anyone have pics from that late 70s era to share? And a good idea here would be a "Then and Now" comparison with current day pics of the area. Perhaps maybe some Metro Orange Line memories to post? To me it is hard to believe 30 years have passed since Metro opened the Orange Line! Thanks to all in advance-MACTRAXX
  by walt

IIRC, that original service was actually a combination Orange & Blue line service running between New Carrollton and National Airport. It became true Orange Line service when the Blue Line reached its then Addison Road Terminus, and the Orange Line reached Ballston in Virginia.
  by Sand Box John

"walt"
IIRC, that original service was actually a combination Orange & Blue line service running between New Carrollton and National Airport. It became true Orange Line service when the Blue Line reached its then Addison Road Terminus, and the Orange Line reached Ballston in Virginia.

To be precise, All eastbound trains were Orange, all westbound trains were Blue. Blue line service was basically extended to New Carrollton. The reason why the configuration existed at all was because the sign rolls on the cars had no New Carrollton National Airport pair that were the same color.

The National Airport exterior sign displayed the stations from Stadium-Armory to National Airport on the strip map on the inside of the cars. The New Carrollton exterior sign displayed the stations from Vienna to New Carrollton on the strip map on the inside of the cars.

The configuration ended on 12 01 1979 when the Orange line opened to Ballston. Blue line service terminated at Stadium-Armory after Ballston opened.

Blue line service to Addison Road began on 11 22 1980.

WMATA posted an oddball map aboard the train in 1982 prior to the beginning of service from Gallery Place to National Airport. The reason why are explained here by Andrew, coneyraven and myself.
  by walt

Sand Box John wrote:"walt"

To be precise, All eastbound trains were Orange, all westbound trains were Blue. Blue line service was basically extended to New Carrollton. The reason why the configuration existed at all was because the sign rolls on the cars had no New Carrollton National Airport pair that were the same color.

The National Airport exterior sign displayed the stations from Stadium-Armory to National Airport on the strip map on the inside of the cars. The New Carrollton exterior sign displayed the stations from Vienna to New Carrollton on the strip map on the inside of the cars.

The configuration ended on 12 01 1979 when the Orange line opened to Ballston. Blue line service terminated at Stadium-Armory after Ballston opened.

Blue line service to Addison Road began on 11 22 1980.

WMATA posted an oddball map aboard the train in 1982 prior to the beginning of service from Gallery Place to National Airport. The reason why are explained here by Andrew, coneyraven and myself.
John: Thanks for the clarification. I remembered the terminal points, and was actually riding back then more than I do now.--- Back in 1974, prior to the opening of the first segment of the Red Line I took a WMATA sponsored walking tour of the tunnel between Judiciary Square and Metro Center. This was a tour given to DC Public School teachers ( which I was at the time) in connunction with a summer career education teacher education program.
  by Sand Box John

walt"
Back in 1974, prior to the opening of the first segment of the Red Line I took a WMATA sponsored walking tour of the tunnel between Judiciary Square and Metro Center. This was a tour given to DC Public School teachers ( which I was at the time) in connunction with a summer career education teacher education program.

Would I be correct in assuming that your tour was conducted by Cody Pfanstiehl?

At some time during the 1970s, may have been after your tour, I began assisting Cody Pfanstiehl in the conducting of those tours.
  by walt

Sand Box John wrote:walt"
Back in 1974, prior to the opening of the first segment of the Red Line I took a WMATA sponsored walking tour of the tunnel between Judiciary Square and Metro Center. This was a tour given to DC Public School teachers ( which I was at the time) in connunction with a summer career education teacher education program.

Would I be correct in assuming that your tour was conducted by Cody Pfanstiehl?

At some time during the 1970s, may have been after your tour, I began assisting Cody Pfanstiehl in the conducting of those tours.
John: As a matter of fact-- it was! My Tour was in the summer of 1974. As a born and raised Phiadelphian, I was especially interested in the differences between what was the then new state of the art subway construction, and the then more than 70 year old original Market Street subway in Philly,through which I had grown up riding.( That subway is now 101 years old).