• 2370 or not?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by b&m 1566

Ok I'm confused? I have seen two different Union Pacific trains with the same number so which one came first.
Click on the links below to see what I mean. Though one of them is now and ex-Union Pacific and is owned buy the New England Southern Railroad out of Concord, NH, which one of these was 2370 first?
This one http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=96339
or
This one http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... d_Southern

by doepack

With its acquisition of the MKT, UP acquired most, (indeed, perhaps all, but the precise number acquired is unknown) of the 20 GP39-2's that were originally bought by MKT in 1984, and numbered in the 360-379 series. The 2370 road number unit with the NEGS patch was originally MKT 371, re-numbered to 2370 by UP after it acquired MKT in 1988, so this was the first UP unit with 2370 as its road number. Don't know how long it stayed on UP property, or when NEGS acquired it.

Coincidently, that same year (1988) was also when UP started taking deliveries of what turned out to be 281 new SD60M's from EMD, orignally numbered in the 6085-6365 series, and the SD60M in your other photo example was part of this order. It, along with the remaining SD60M's on the property was renumbered to the 2240-2520 series a few years ago as part of UP's massive locomotive renumbering program.

by b&m 1566

NEGS acquired the 2370 sometime in late summer or early fall of 2004 from what I've heard. In October the 2370 started working for NEGS as their primary engine.
By the way what does MKT stand for?

by doepack

MKT= Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad, aka the "Katy". For more info, check out their historical society at:

www.katyrailroad.org

by b&m 1566

Well this is going to be a tuff one but does anyone have pictures or know where I can find pictures on the web of the 2370 when it was a UP and pictures of it when it was MKT 371. I have tried many website but have come up empty. I found MKT 369 and 378 but not 371. I'm trying to find it because my girlfriend is in "love" with that train and that train only. She gets all excited when she sees trains but when she sees her "baby" (2370) she lights up like a Christmas tree. I can't get her attention for one second when that thing is in site of her.