• 2014 Discussion for Commuter Rail Delays

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by harshaw

Let's see:

1) It's halloween so everyone wants to get home early for their kids. early trains are extremely crowded, at least the 405PM Worcester express
2) Like all the trains this week on the Worcester line there aren't enough conductors.
3) fares are collected because of not enough conductors

It would be nice if Keolis made a better effort here.
  by Diverging Route

The MBTA - and its contractor - has never taken forecasted early departures into consideration and modified its CR schedule. On the LIRR and MNRR, for example, they schedule "early release" service often, such as:
  • Wednesday before Thanksgiving
  • New Year's eve
  • Christmas eve
  • Jewish holidays
  • Major sports club celebrations
  • Severe weather (snowstorms that begin midday, etc.)
MBTA should instruct Keolis to look at best practices from other CRs.
  by Diverging Route

Huge mess on the North Side this evening.

Fitchburg/South Acton Line Train 419 (5:05 pm from North Station) delayed about 35 minutes today due to mechanical problem.

Fitchburg/South Acton Line delayed about 20 minutes due to mechanical problem

Haverhill Line Train 275 (7:20 pm from North Station) cancelled today.

Haverhill Line Train 222 (6:09 pm from Haverhill) significantly delayed today due to mechanical problem. Seek alternate transportation.

Haverhill Line Train 215 (5:15 pm from North Station) delayed about 25 mintes today due to police action

Lowell Line Train 337 (6:25 pm from North Station) delayed about 25 minutes today due to mechanical problem.

Lowell Line Train 335 (5:50 pm from North Station) delayed about 20 minutes today due to mechanical problem.

Newburyport/Rockport Line Train 72 (7pm from Beverly) cancelled today due to mechanical problem. Inbound service departs Beverly at 7:45 pm

Newburyport/Rockport Line Train 69 (5:55 pm from North Station) cancelled today. Next outbound service via train 133, departs Boston 6:15 pm

Newburyport/Rockport Line Train 178 (4:35 pm from Newburyport) delayed due to heavy ridership
  by deathtopumpkins

I think the 4:35 train from Newburyport was the same set as the 3:20 from North Station, which was 25 minutes late to Newburyport due to Salem crowds, and then lost HEP at North Beverly.

The alert I got for the 4:35 said mechanical problems rather than heavy ridership though.
  by octr202

A Reading turn (4:49?) also appears to have died on the inner Western Route somewhere. I was on 217, and after we crawled out to Reading Jct, we took the siding for a double draft with 1005's set on the inner end, and an unknown HSP powering the rear set. Not sure which set was the problem one.

5:55, 7:20 & 9:35pm Reading locals all cancelled for the night.

There was also an alert about a freight train derailment somewhere near Fitchburg...but never heard more.
  by GP40MC1118

One of the worse nights ever:

269 dead at Wyoming Hill with HSP46 2001 (Yep, that's right). 213, 215 run around them
to Melrose Highlands. Set at North Station sent out and drags it back to North Station.
271/273/275//277/270/272/274/278/69/72 all cancelled. 223 runs on 277's schedule Boston
to Reading
211 trespasser incident Lawrence.
185 dead Rowley - GP40MC 1115 the culprit. Shoved to Newburyport by 187
SEPO derails in Ayer yard with rear fouling CPF-AY. Single track Derby to CP-Hills
Multiple engine problems at BET.
Salem Haunted Happenings ridership crushed Rockport/Newburyport service. Even with
extras, trains bogged down at Salem.
430 at Fitchburg with HEP issues.

D
  by octr202

Monday morning is picking up where we left off last week.

200 was delayed around Lawrence for reasons that the T alert attributed to Pan Am. About 15-20 mins late.

202 ended up 25 late due to signal issues between Lawrence and LJ. Stefan's tracker seemed to show it roughly on time into Lawrence, then lost time. I think 204 took a bit of a hit as well, but not as long.

A smattering of mechanical delays on the Eastern's T Alerts seemed to lead to 201/210 (7:35 to Haverhill, 9:05 from Haverhill) getting cancelled. That's not a rush hour train, but still pretty big hole to be punching in the schedule.
  by octr202

And now for something completely different:

MBTA Commuter Rail @MBTA_CR · 14m 14 minutes ago

Buses replacing Haverhill Trains 209 (1:10pm from North Station) and 218 (2:40 pm from Haverhill) between Haverhill and Andover

MBTA Commuter Rail @MBTA_CR · 15m 15 minutes ago

Due to derail of freight train, buses replacing Haverhill Trains 205 (10:30am frm NS) and 214 (noon frm Haverhill) btn Haverhill and Andover
  by octr202

Keolis has just tweeted a photo of the derailed MEC 332 being re-railed on the Lawrence Yard runner:

https://twitter.com/MBTA_CR/status/529322089027997696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, they've also updated that the unit is back on the rails and expect the line to be re-opened for this evening's rush hour.
  by Rbts Stn

Nineteen (19!) alerts on the Needham Line between 8AM and 9:30AM.

8 were "Needham Line Delay", and 11 were "Update: Needham Line Delay"

I'm pretty sure they got the point across with the first half dozen e-mails.
  by chrisf

Rbts Stn wrote:Nineteen (19!) alerts on the Needham Line between 8AM and 9:30AM.

I rode in on 608, itself delayed about 30 minutes, this morning and overheard the conductor telling some other passengers of the issues:
One train, apparently powered by an HSP46, lost air at Roslindale Village and had to be shoved in by another.
A separate trainset had a handbrake that wouldn't release in Needham.
Apparently a cascade of failures.
  by ACeInTheHole

chrisf wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:Nineteen (19!) alerts on the Needham Line between 8AM and 9:30AM.

I rode in on 608, itself delayed about 30 minutes, this morning and overheard the conductor telling some other passengers of the issues:
One train, apparently powered by an HSP46, lost air at Roslindale Village and had to be shoved in by another.
Didnt 2001 already chew up an air compressor? Whats this, two now?
  by Rbts Stn

chrisf wrote:

4 more updates (610/611) in the last 10 minutes. I bet they could have gotten the information across in 1 e-mail, if they tried.
  by BostonUrbEx

Was at Ballardvale when a late 211 eventually came through at about 4:00. Scheduled to come in at 3:43. Heard something on the scanner about a switch being off power and an alert claims the cause was a crossing malfunction.